Case for air travel

Rate this topic

ChileIrish

Reels always go in the carry on, and I used a plano tube. I don't recall the model but its brown/tan in color. My rods get bubble wrapped as best as possible, particularly the tips near the top of the case. They are most prone to breakage from being tossed around. Think the Plano case was in the $50-$60 range. I lock the tube to minimize the chance of it getting collapsed or the latches popping open in transit.

So far so good and I've flown to the Caribbean several times and Europe 3x with this tube/method.

4 hours ago, bbfish said:

You guys leave the line on your reels? Not sure why they would do it I've heard horror stories of airlines making guys strip the line off if they bring it through carry on.  I always put the spools in checked luggage and carry reels in my carryon.

I never take the line off my reels. I have had as many as six reels (fly and spin) and never had a problem.

7 hours ago, bbfish said:

You guys leave the line on your reels? Not sure why they would do it I've heard horror stories of airlines making guys strip the line off if they bring it through carry on.  I always put the spools in checked luggage and carry reels in my carryon.

I fly with reels in my carry on all the time, never had a problem. From NJ-FL plugs in carry on are a no-no, but from FL-NJ they don’t care. As far as rod cases, I have a Plano Airliner case, it’s cheap and has always gotten the job done for me. My biggest problem ever was trying to fly with one of these E57642FF-43ED-48C7-88DE-59B3D5932FD3.jpeg.12e5556848638a0588e318837fdf3169.jpeg
I had it in my carry on and went it went through the X-ray machine I saw the TSA chicks jaw drop. She beeped something on her radio, they grabbed my bag out of the machine and put me in a room, had 2 guys question me and I had to give a demonstration on what it was and how it worked lol they gave me my bag back and I got on the flight with it

Edited by HighEndHooker
Spelling

17 mins ago, ChileIrish said:

Thanks for the replies. I’ll look into that Plano but I swear last time I saw it it was over $100. I like the plastic vent pipe idea, thinking about that as well. I will prob keep the line on the reels. Do the rod cases have a place for lures?

No place for lures, I would put them in a Plano tackle box and check them if you’re flying out of NJ/NY

19 hours ago, ChileIrish said:

Anyone have suggestions for a good case I can use for airline travel. I have 2 spinning reels and 1 9’ and 1 6’ rod. Traveling to Aruba and Mexico this spring and summer.

thanks.

Mexico does not allow any fishing gear in the cabin. So make sure you have room left in your suitcase for your return.

I have had to strip braid from a reel once

on a trip to from Phi. to Fla. I always put

lures and spools in checked bag now. Also lost

braid on a trip to Costa Rica. Whenever

possible, I mail tackle ahead of time. I

have also purchased a 3 pc. travel rod

that I actually like and goes on as carry

on , that I hvent had any problems with.

On 11/25/2019 at 8:43 PM, ChileIrish said:

Tell me more about that 3 pc travel rod!

Yeah so a 1 pc or 2 pc rod will most definitely be "oversized" luggage, which will definitely cost you big bucks. You are way way way better off investing in a travel rod. Most good ones come w cases. Two that come to mind are a Tsunami Classic 3pc Travel Rod ($80-$90) or a St Croix Tidemaster Travel Rod. They also make their Triumph rods in surf/freshwater spinning. The St Croixs come w a hard case, the Tsunami a nylon bag.