charloots

Another B&T Closing

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

You still need a good shop nothing can replace needing something at a moments notice and always getting a good service. Shop need to be able to supply good fresh bait.  That being said most of what you say is true reelfire. 

On 12/2/2019 at 6:20 PM, MadWader said:

Stan is and always will be a favorite of mine. 

3591CA75-5009-47FE-B3A2-05D850DB0C42.jpeg

When I lived in the area, Stan was "the place" to shop for what I needed.

Up here in Massachusetts, most small shops are "struggling at best". One exception is "The Sportsman's Den" in Quincy because about 10 years ago they made fishing stuff (bait and tackle) secondary and fire arms primary. Now the place is a booming success but I can't shop there any more because I get much better "bait service" (I use 10-15 flats of worms/week in season) at the next shop that is 20 to 30 minutes (round trip) out of my way...

As long as there are fish there will be fishing, but our sport is slowly dying. The bottom line is the kids of today DONT move, they don’t build forts, climb trees, catch frogs or go fishing. They are chained to these stupid electronic devices, have little desire to be outside, and they are taught that fishing is not PC. When we all age out, few will follow. Sport fishing, and bait and tackle shops will slowly become oddities like cobblers and farriers.

On 1/13/2020 at 9:34 AM, jason colby said:

When I lived in the area, Stan was "the place" to shop for what I needed.

Up here in Massachusetts, most small shops are "struggling at best". One exception is "The Sportsman's Den" in Quincy because about 10 years ago they made fishing stuff (bait and tackle) secondary and fire arms primary. Now the place is a booming success but I can't shop there any more because I get much better "bait service" (I use 10-15 flats of worms/week in season) at the next shop that is 20 to 30 minutes (round trip) out of my way...

This is a Picture of B&B Tackle in Center Moriches not Stans in Rocky Point.  Stan was working summers at Field and Stream on 110 if you want to talk to him.  I think he winters in the Keys.  B&B is the best for the Moriches area!

45 mins ago, flyman28 said:

This is a Picture of B&B Tackle in Center Moriches not Stans in Rocky Point.  Stan was working summers at Field and Stream on 110 if you want to talk to him.  I think he winters in the Keys.  B&B is the best for the Moriches area!

Stan Henchel is a friend and I ALSO shopped at B+B. 

No worries but I can't remember who's who anymore....

(old age will do that to ya)

JC

Getting old!  It was meant like welcome to the club!  First the eyes then the joints and then the tolerance to the cold and somewhere in there the memory seems to slip when you need it!   Its all good!

9 hours ago, flyman28 said:

Stan was working summers at Field and Stream on 110 if you want to talk to him.  I think he winters in the Keys

Not this winter.

He was there few nights ago.

Gave me a key for fitting room; had to try ski suit to see if XL will fit me.

Damn, need to loose at least 20lb

the last place i lived on LI was right around the corner from B@B,Chet is quite a character,with a lot of great stories about the fishing in Moriches .its been almost 40 years since i moved off the Island,but Moriches will always be in my memories as far as fishing goes

Stans in Rocky Point was my go to place for years when I was starting fishing in the surf. Great bait, lures and advice. Stan was always there and gave us good tips and we caught and released many large bass on the beaches out there but the state of the Striped Bass fishery is probably the #1 reason these shops aren’t staying in business. There are no fish and Way less people fishing and buying stuff. I used to fish with 5 or more guys on a regular basis that no longer fish at all. They aren’t buying gear or bait. I buy way less stuff myself.

if the fish were to rebound, shops could be successful by being as competitively priced as possible, clean, friendly, knowledgeable and in stock on whatever the current fishing trends are. Custom rods, custom plugs, good line of rods to test out, clothing, gear. Good bait, proper marketing, deals, etc. fly fishing department with high end rods, ...maybe some casting area and lessons, kayaks , etc etc. There are a lot of people, especially millennials who value the “experience” even more so being able to touch the product is still important.

1 hour ago, Stripsettter said:

Stans in Rocky Point was my go to place for years when I was starting fishing in the surf. Great bait, lures and advice. Stan was always there and gave us good tips and we caught and released many large bass on the beaches out there but the state of the Striped Bass fishery is probably the #1 reason these shops aren’t staying in business. There are no fish and Way less people fishing and buying stuff. I used to fish with 5 or more guys on a regular basis that no longer fish at all. They aren’t buying gear or bait. I buy way less stuff myself.

if the fish were to rebound, shops could be successful by being as competitively priced as possible, clean, friendly, knowledgeable and in stock on whatever the current fishing trends are. Custom rods, custom plugs, good line of rods to test out, clothing, gear. Good bait, proper marketing, deals, etc. fly fishing department with high end rods, ...maybe some casting area and lessons, kayaks , etc etc. There are a lot of people, especially millennials who value the “experience” even more so being able to touch the product is still important.

Less people? There’s more people fishing than ever IMO. A lot of noobie know it alls that think catching 20” fish on diamond jigs is a good fall run

Edited by Justinj

4 hours ago, Justinj said:

Less people? There’s more people fishing than ever IMO. A lot of noobie know it alls that think catching 20” fish on diamond jigs is a good fall run

I think there are less people fishing for Striped Bass but not sure how to quantify it other than experience.....the places I fish have way less people fishing than 10 years ago because the chances of getting 30” + fish on a daily or nightly basis are so low now. Guys I fished with have hung up their rods because catching 20” fish isn’t fun on 11 foot surf rods and they don’t have the time or desire to find what few bigger fish are still around.