charloots

Another B&T Closing

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

32 mins ago, Popasilov said:

Personally,

I rather spend few extra bucks in local shop then support internet business.

but, that just me.

I try to, I go to Bernie's in Sheepshead Bay when I'm in Brooklyn and Causeway off the Wantagh Pkwy when I'm at home. Both good local shops, very friendly and always helpful. I was in Wally world the other day and picked up a few Diamond jigs, doesn't matter what store I'm in if they have a fishing section I'm going to check it out.

On 11/30/2019 at 0:23 PM, LockedDrag said:

Personally I wouldn’t buy from anyone local if I didn’t have to. They always overprice everything. Only if I need it that day or the day after and can’t wait for shipping. 

"Need" and "can't wait" is a large part of what local shops are all about.

And when they're all gone, and you lose out on a day of fishing because there's no bait to be had locally, then you'll understand how flawed the above reasoning is.

7 hours ago, PCstriper said:

...... I was in Wally world the other day and picked up a few Diamond jigs, doesn't matter what store I'm in if they have a fishing section I'm going to check it out.

Thank you for making me feel good.

I am not the only one  shopping in Wally

Edited by Popasilov

6 hours ago, JoeyZac said:

And when they're all gone, and you lose out on a day of fishing because there's no bait to be had locally, then you'll understand how flawed the above reasoning is.

Unfortunately, most of those mama and papas store will be gone.

But, for now, we can try to delay that departure by supporting them.

You don't know what you have until you loose it.

It's sad to see the decline,but the striper situation as well as the internet is putting too much pressure in the not very well run shops.  We have a few in CT that are on the way out,and it will be a shame to see them close..  Owners sell out and new owners don't keep it going the right way to be competitive.

I use to give my shop most of my business,but now with the poor fishing ,I haven't bgt much for several years.

8 hours ago, JoeyZac said:

"Need" and "can't wait" is a large part of what local shops are all about.

I get all my bait from a local Asian market. Native squid and tub of clam is all I need. Not to mention it’s a hell of a lot cheaper than native squid at a tackle shop. 

For those of you that know I worked there from 2016 to 2018 . I woulda been there this year too but Pops was ill and he actually passed away a few months ago. Theres a lot as to why the shop didn't make it in the later years . Lets just say you guys have no idea lol. Anyways R.I.P pops you'll be missed. There is a new owner (local builder) that is investing $$$$ into his new business which will be a well stocked tackle shop from what i was told.. I'll miss that place for sure. Work has already begun . I guess we shall all see come spring. Merry Christmas. .. 

On 12/3/2019 at 8:40 AM, LockedDrag said:

I get all my bait from a local Asian market. Native squid and tub of clam is all I need. Not to mention it’s a hell of a lot cheaper than native squid at a tackle shop. 

Local shops have a place in why you likely even fish.  Or maybe anyone that's gifted you the pursuit of fishing bought their "bait" at asian markets too.  But for the majority of the rest we grew up patronizing these locations for tackle, ideas and comrodary.  I think just about everything in tackle shops are over priced, but I buy a few things there anyway.  Supporting local business is way more important than saving a few pennies in your spearing or squid. 

Edited by DeepBlue85

44 mins ago, DeepBlue85 said:

Local shops have a place in why you likely even fish.  Or maybe anyone that's gifted you the pursuit of fishing bought their "bait" at asian markets too.  But for the majority of the rest we grew up patronizing these locations for tackle, ideas and comrodary.  I think just about everything in tackle shops are over priced, but I buy a few things there anyway.  Supporting local business is way more important than saving a few pennies in your spearing or squid. 

Local asian markets are not worthy enough to be included in your definition "local"?

The game has changed.  The shops that I see succeeding have active social media accounts, post reports on The Fisherman/On the water, have a youtube channel, facebook, instagram, etc.  They are an active part of the fishing community instead of passively expecting customers to stroll in. I bet anyone can name their top three shops and all three are actively and aggressively making content that you watch/consume.  Fishing is a lifestyle hobby.  You think about it at work, before you go to sleep, driving to the mall.  You play those youtube clips over and over in your head.  The three shops that I know of that closed in the last year did not post reports or stopped posting reports, have no social media, and did little to no marketing.

Edited by fatbikerjoe

in my years fishing LI,i always stopped in at Smith point B@T,one of my first lami's i traded Craig plugs for the rod and a 704,which i still use.Mike i knew from clamming the GSB,we had quite a few mutual freinds.Having worked in a tackle shop for 10 years,that closed up a few years ago,i know what a tough business it is to stay afloat.if it Mike who passed my he RIP.and if anyone sees Craig tell him John from VT says hello

20 hours ago, fatbikerjoe said:

The game has changed.  The shops that I see succeeding have active social media accounts, post reports on The Fisherman/On the water, have a youtube channel, facebook, instagram, etc.  They are an active part of the fishing community instead of passively expecting customers to stroll in. I bet anyone can name their top three shops and all three are actively and aggressively making content that you watch/consume.  Fishing is a lifestyle hobby.  You think about it at work, before you go to sleep, driving to the mall.  You play those youtube clips over and over in your head.  The three shops that I know of that closed in the last year did not post reports or stopped posting reports, have no social media, and did little to no marketing.

Yes.  Most old-time shops don't know how to market. For that matter, most partyboats don't do so either.

IMHO if you don't have a rod on a lathe for a customer to see, you're missing a biggie. Like any other small business, you'd better be prepared to spend 16-18 hour days in the shop in season, because that's what's required. 

15 hours ago, l.i.fish.in.vt said:

in my years fishing LI,i always stopped in at Smith point B@T,one of my first lami's i traded Craig plugs for the rod and a 704,which i still use.Mike i knew from clamming the GSB,we had quite a few mutual freinds.Having worked in a tackle shop for 10 years,that closed up a few years ago,i know what a tough business it is to stay afloat.if it Mike who passed my he RIP.and if anyone sees Craig tell him John from VT says hello

Yes it was Mike that has passed away. May he RIP.. 

Ill let Craig know you were asking about him and pass along your condolences.. 

1. Internet forums have replaced hanging in shops and BS ing fishing.

2. Small home builders and internet sites proved that you can get same merchandise cheaper. With taxes and expenses going up every year everyones looking to save. Plus you can have custom tackle made.

3. Real estate is to expensive to have an 8 month a year business.

4. Gulp replaced alot of bait and is just much easier to keep.

5. Alot more people have gotten into getting their own bait. 

6. Asian markets are cheaper.

7. Most tackle shops were poorly run.

8. Fish population declining.

9 You can buy bait if you know where the bait guys dock or ramp they use. 

10. Times change.