charloots

Another B&T Closing

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Step-son of the deceased owner says he doesn’t want to do it anymore. He claims to have an un-named possible buyer who is thinking about re-habbing the place.

Posted (edited) · Report post

35 mins ago, charloots said:

Step-son of the deceased owner says he doesn’t want to do it anymore. He claims to have an un-named possible buyer who is thinking about re-habbing the place.

It hasn’t been open in months and when it was he’s never been open on time

Edited by Justinj

Just now, Justinj said:

It hasn’t been open in months and when it was he’s never be open on time. 

His interview that I read makes it sound like he was forced into running it. The internet makes a shop like that pretty much irrelevant.

It’s sad to see these local B&T businesses go out. It’s even more far ranging than that. Models has dropped fishing gear, Wallyworld and Kmart are down to 1 or 2 aisles, Sports authority is gone, and Gander is about gone too. The internet is steamrolling all the brick and mortar establishments.

When I’m down south I visit a large fishing liquidator in Oldsmar, Fla. who buys up much of this stock, he is sure profiting from these closures. 

4 hours ago, charloots said:

His interview that I read makes it sound like he was forced into running it. The internet makes a shop like that pretty much irrelevant.

I mean that place never evolved with the times...People put themselves out of buisness alot of the time....I stopped in there from time to time and it looked like 1992 in there...Items on the shelf were covered in dust..Sad to see it go.

Edited by IslandSurf

Word had it last summer it was to close? Heard it might be a deli! Gotta say a lot of locals will miss the place. Believe it or not I used to be a local but never patronized it. There are shops that are mom and pop that I did for 40 years. Internet priceing made most Try to compete a little 

Edited by Prospector
Adding to post

Smith Point B&T?  There's a place in Mastic that could fill in, but that ownership is also almighty old.

To run a B&T in the age of the Internet, I think you need quality bait AND to be a good rod builder AND to be well attuned to the local fish gossip. If you don't have rods turning on a lathe, you're missing a chance to meet people and talk. Rods and bait are where you make a living; you may have to carry Bombers and Hopkins jigs and so on, but that won't keep you afloat.

there are a few other shops in the area.. location wasnt the best, and in the past few years it was like it wasnt open at normal hrs (though losing the beach to the birds will kill any shop) plus the pile of wood out front made the place look a mess

On 11/24/2019 at 9:37 PM, rreelman said:

Sad to say--plovers win again-rreelman

What about the 300 plus boaters that visit moriches every weekend all summer long and into the fall...They are the ones buying bait...They have nothing to do with plovers.The Surf Crowd really is oblivious to anything not surf related.

Edited by IslandSurf

Personally I wouldn’t buy from anyone local if I didn’t have to. They always overprice everything. Only if I need it that day or the day after and can’t wait for shipping. 

On 11/30/2019 at 0:23 PM, LockedDrag said:

Personally I wouldn’t buy from anyone local if I didn’t have to. They always overprice everything. Only if I need it that day or the day after and can’t wait for shipping. 

Personally,

I rather spend few extra bucks in local shop then support internet business.

but, that just me.