fishhappy

Snowblowers

Rate this topic

104 posts in this topic

7 mins ago, z-man said:

You’re better off to use TruFuel. You don’t have to mix anything and don’t have to run it dry. I buy a couple cans of fuel a winter and don’t have to worry about anything. A few years ago I was using pump gas with Stabil and still had an issue with a carb float sticking. Ethanol sucks and it won’t touch any of my small engines. 
Husqvarna has a new program with their small engines where if you buy 3 cans of their fuel when you buy a chainsaw or blower then your warranty is extended from 2 to 5 years. That shows how much pump gas sucks. 

I can't see myself paying 22-23 dollars a gallon to run TrueFuel. You can.  I will follow the instructions by the manufacturer or hit up an ethanol free gas station a couple of times a season. 

7 mins ago, The Riddler said:

I can't see myself paying 22-23 dollars a gallon to run TrueFuel. You can.  I will follow the instructions by the manufacturer or hit up an ethanol free gas station a couple of times a season. 

I generally use only around a gallon of fuel each winter so the $20 is worth it to me to always have a one pull start. 

26 mins ago, z-man said:

I generally use only around a gallon of fuel each winter so the $20 is worth it to me to always have a one pull start. 

How much snow do you get to blow less then a gallon of gas a season? 

Edited by The Riddler

32 mins ago, z-man said:

Wow...You are right.  Most in the NE even on an average year use 1-3 gallons. 

50 mins ago, The Riddler said:

Wow...You are right.  Most in the NE even on an average year use 1-3 gallons. 

I live near Foxboro so I generally get a decent amount of snow. Usually more than Boston. My snowblower doesn’t burn much fuel. 

Some of you guys are crazy with the expensive tru fuel and going out of the way to get ethanol free gas. I've been using regular gas from the gas station around the corner for years in all of my small engines with no problem. I put stabil in it and I'm good to go. At the end of the season i run my equipment dry, pull the spark plug, put about a half ounce of oil in the chamber, cycle it a few times, then reinstall the spark plug. Come next season everything starts up within 3 pulls the first time. During the season most of my equipment starts up in 1 or 2 pulls. Once I got a backpack blower My handheld leaf blower sat for almost 3 years, and it still started up on the second pull when I used it again. But you guys do what makes you happy I guess.

19 hours ago, The Riddler said:

Bought the Ariens 24 SHO.  Not a lot of snow today but enough to throw that wet stuff a long ways!  Heated grips were nice.

1500 out the door with ramps, gas tank and seafoam.  Bought from local hardware store dealer. 

D2D9985F-3C44-49CE-9D0E-171FE5324BAB.jpeg

13 hours ago, The Riddler said:

I started it up turn the source fuel off and it ran for about 2 minutes and spurted out.  I want to see what this little bitch does in 12" of heavy wet snow. Bring it on!

ED295BCD-C0C2-490E-9638-76CBD37D1F2B.jpeg

Nice purchase right there Jeff. And just in time. :clap: Oh and lokee there! It appears to have a cast iron gear box right from the local hardware shop. Thanks for proving my point. :wave:

15 hours ago, The Riddler said:

I believe  True Value and Ace will have the 28 at the same price as HD. It may be 100 under too if I remember.  

I paid the extra for the super high output because I need to throw it some distance and we have heavy wet snow normally.  I wanted a machine I could buy once and not have to buy another for a long time. 

i also have to throw the snow a good distance , i have a 9hp craftsman and RI gets the wet heavy stuff may be i'll look into the sho 

10 hours ago, z-man said:

I live near Foxboro so I generally get a decent amount of snow. Usually more than Boston. My snowblower doesn’t burn much fuel. 

this is how they do it in Foxboro

d5f858b5_XzI3C9.jpeg

9 hours ago, chitala383 said:

Some of you guys are crazy with the expensive tru fuel and going out of the way to get ethanol free gas. I've been using regular gas from the gas station around the corner for years in all of my small engines with no problem. I put stabil in it and I'm good to go. At the end of the season i run my equipment dry, pull the spark plug, put about a half ounce of oil in the chamber, cycle it a few times, then reinstall the spark plug. Come next season everything starts up within 3 pulls the first time. During the season most of my equipment starts up in 1 or 2 pulls. Once I got a backpack blower My handheld leaf blower sat for almost 3 years, and it still started up on the second pull when I used it again. But you guys do what makes you happy I guess.

Same here.  I have 7 chain saws, backpack blower, handheld blower, outboard engines, brush cutter, lawnmowers, ice auger etc.  Whether 2 stroke or 4 stroke, I've never used "non ethanol" gas.  Not readily available in Maine, other than "tru fuel".  Always stabilized the gas when being put down for the year.  Never an issue with any of my outdoor power equipment.

Didn't read the whole thread but just wanted to say how happy I have been with my 15 year old Ariens, it has a 13.5hp Tecumseh snow king motor with a 28" wide auger. It also has the older style aluminum gear box. Every year I use it and performs great at the end of the season I change the oil in the engine and the gear box and run it dry on fuel. Started on the first pull on Monday morning after sitting for many months, just added gas. If it died tomorrow I would buy another without a second thought. 

On 12/3/2019 at 0:19 PM, The Riddler said:

Bought the Ariens 24 SHO.  Not a lot of snow today but enough to throw that wet stuff a long ways!  Heated grips were nice.

1500 out the door with ramps, gas tank and seafoam.  Bought from local hardware store dealer. 

D2D9985F-3C44-49CE-9D0E-171FE5324BAB.jpeg

I am just curios if you had a chance to test the 28” SHO before making the decision on the 24”SHO. 

BYW I own a Ariens 26” for over 10 years and now have an ariens deluxe 30”.