fishhappy

Snowblowers

Rate this topic

104 posts in this topic

Big box stores want to be able to offer their customers name brand power equipment at lower prices than smaller, independent,retailers. Big chain stores are more concerned with the name on the machine than they are about its actual  quality so what you see offered in a big box store can be very different from what a specialty retailer sells. The machines might look the same but they can often be worlds apart in performance, quality and longevity. When  retail giants go to purchase things like snow throwers and  lawn mowers they are purchasing thousands of them at a time and they will tell manufacturers what they are willing to pay per unit. Sometimes the only way manufacturers can sell at the prices huge retailers are willing to pay is to cheapen the build of the product. Just because two machines have the same paint and decals doesn’t necessarily mean they are they same. Manufacturers will outsource their products to offshore factories just to be able to stock the shelves for their big box customers at the prices they are willing to pay. I have a brother in law who managed an outdoor power equipment dealership for many years. He could go into great detail regarding the stuff he sold versus what you got at Wally World or Homies. Same name on both products but they were built in different factories with different steel, different motors, etc., etc. There really can be a significant difference. 

If it has not been said if the damb thing has cables that control the chute, engage the blower or drive, STAY AWAY!

Cables of any kind do not belong on a snow blower. Electric chute controls is another. 

KISS keep it simple stupid.

Another vote for the old Ariens, found the wife's purse with one, it shredded it!

Good luck!

The fuel you buy today is not compatible with carbureted engines.

Carburetors are vented to the air, alcohol in fuel takes water out of the air, water in fuel eats aluminum.

That is the clear jelly like substance you find in the bowl, let it dry its white dust.

Install a fuel shut off and run carb dry after use, no fuel in carb no problems.

1 hour ago, CapeDave said:

If it has not been said if the damb thing has cables that control the chute, engage the blower or drive, STAY AWAY!

Cables of any kind do not belong on a snow blower. Electric chute controls is another. 

KISS keep it simple stupid.

Another vote for the old Ariens, found the wife's purse with one, it shredded it!

Good luck!

The fuel you buy today is not compatible with carbureted engines.

Carburetors are vented to the air, alcohol in fuel takes water out of the air, water in fuel eats aluminum.

That is the clear jelly like substance you find in the bowl, let it dry its white dust.

Install a fuel shut off and run carb dry after use, no fuel in carb no problems.

But don’t they all have cables nowadays?  

42 mins ago, fishhappy said:

I looked at a big box store for Ariens, the engine description was OEM, it should say Briggs, right?

My ariens has a tecumseh engine

Opinions on Troy Built? I was looking at some brands but found the engines were manufactured by Locino from China :( , I’ll repeat that engines made in chains :(:( 

4 hours ago, fishhappy said:

I looked at a big box store for Ariens, the engine description was OEM, it should say Briggs, right?

Briggs has a few different lines of motors. Some are made in China. 

3 hours ago, chitala383 said:

My ariens has a tecumseh engine

Tecumseh is out of business so nobody is producing snow blowers with snow king motors anymore. Have heard rumors that Tecumseh might be coming back but that might only mean that their name will be sold and that “Tecumseh” stickers will be put on other manufacturers products. Might not be the same tried and true product. It’s a shame, but it happens.

We have a dirt driveway, loaded with stones. When I first moved here used a 24" snowthrower and replaced sheer pins multiple times each storm. After selling my house to my son, I bought him a Toro. It's built so strong they don't use sheer pins. It's been 5 years now and works like new. Fantastic machine.

928OHXE Power Max
The Power Max HD 928 OHXE with Toro Premium 265cc, OHV 4-cycle engine provides proven power and performance to make your job easier in tough winter conditions. The 28-inch wide swath and 21.5-inch cutting depth can plow through the deepest snow, clearing up to 1900 lbs per minute.
The innovative Quick Stick® control allows you to quickly and easily change chute direction AND chute deflector with a single, smooth motion. Convenient one-hand operation levers allow single-handed operation freeing the other hand to change speeds or the chute control without stopping.   This machine also has handle-mounted triggers that allow you to disengage one or both wheels to maneuver through sharp turns with ease.   A breakthrough in snow blowing technology, the exclusive Anti-Clogging System meters snow intake to prevent clogging and maximize clearing efficiency. The Power Max HD uses special gears that are so strong they do not need shear pins to protect them. Instead, hardened bolts are used that are designed not to break eliminating the need to ever replace a shear pin.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Have a Toro 1028 OXE  Powermax new in 2012 ran perfect until this winter start up Started up as usual no problems ran it a few minutes and put away.  Next day observed no gas in tank it all leaked out. Whatttt, Put small amount of gas in started up ran fine 4-5 mins then gas started leaking out of breather hose in OHV cover. My gas is treated with Startron but I run it dry at the end of every season. Believe a stuck float or needle problem in carb . In shop now.  I might add I have been very pleased with this unit until this leakinging gas issue. 

Had a 70's Ariens for many years, no issues. Honda 621 Snow thrower with the rubber paddles still running fine 26yrs. Replaced paddles about 10 yrs ago regular oil changes and plug maint.

Honda # 1

Ariens # 2

Toro   #  3.    My unofficial real world ranking.

Edited by Livliner
spelling

I have a Husqvarna ST224 that I purchased 3-4 years ago. It runs on regular gasoline and starts every year without problems. Normally it’s a pull start, but has an option to connect an electrical cord so you can push button start it.

Like most, it is self propelled and has two bright lights on the front. I did have one issue with it when I first bought it, but the place i bought it at was great and took care if it with no problems. I bought it at Pantano’s Nursery in Manalapan.

Edited by Pma531

Have had 40 years of snow blowers, Toro, Toro  and now an Airens 30 pro thing with a canopy and 40 pounds of weight on the front end, this thing feeds on snow.

At one time 100 years ago when I was a poor youngster ,  I had an original Troy Built roto tiller with a front plow blade along with tire chains that did the drive way.......in my next life I am going with a heated driveway all the way, flick a shuttle valve a day before off  a hot water heating system and there you go.

In Northern extremes you have to use an anti freeze instead of water or you are !@#$% !

Use the electric start even if not needed one in a while .....Dry silicone the chute assembly, Mine has a coffee mug holder that I keep a can of spray silicone in.

New machines live longer using high octane fuel and always drain the carb bowl after each usage , plus pull the recoil rope tight to seat the valves. Use stabilizer also when needed. 

FT

Edited by Fishin Technician