fishhappy

Snowblowers

Rate this topic

117 posts in this topic

We have gone through several snowblowers in the last 15 years, toro, an orange sears one, and an electric ryobi.

The Ryobi dies after a year, the sears ran out of parts, and the Toro was always tough to start and finally was beyond my ability to repair, I put to carburetors into it. 
Im buying a new one, and I am thinking about 20-24 inch, and it must 

1. be super easy to start

2. not require fuel mixture

3. run without hesitation hear after year in cold at -20

Any recommendations? So far I like the Honda, we have a lawnmower and even when my shoulder aches at its worst, it’s super easy to start and push.

Most snowblowers nowadays have a push button electric start. My 15 year old ariens has it. That said, you can't go wrong with ariens and husqvarna. If my ariens ever dies my next will be a husqvarna.

3 mins ago, chitala383 said:

Most snowblowers nowadays have a push button electric start. My 15 year old ariens has it. That said, you can't go wrong with ariens and husqvarna. If my ariens ever dies my next will be a husqvarna.

Thanks, I never bought Ariens. Any trouble with the engine, how often do you use it each year?

1 min ago, sandworm said:

go to home depot ,if it breaks they'll replace it or costco

They were no longer selling the Ryobi electric, I got a refund 

1 min ago, fishhappy said:

They were no longer selling the Ryobi electric, I got a refund 

at least you've gotten a refund to buy a new one, or use it on a new reel or rod.  Have a nice holiday

I have a toro also giving me carb problems

i need to have repaired for the second time 

but this time it needs a new carb because the one on there now drips gas at the bottom. ( I changed the needle on the float) 

this snow blower is maybe 4 years old

i usually use 93 octane and drain the blow every year after winter

I was wondering if you knew the problem with your carburetor 

4 mins ago, stateguy said:

but this time it needs a new carb because the one on there now drips gas at the bottom. ( I changed the needle on the float) 

The original provably died because of wear and gunk, the others were just cheap China OEM-I guess the Chineesiun disintegrated from use. 

6 mins ago, stateguy said:

Float needle is the weak link. If you replace it, I would say get the original catalog model 

Big Box stores Ariens is supposed to be the same Ariens at an authorized small dealer. If the small dealer matches big box store or close with a better service plan?  I go to the little guy. But if the same Ariens at the little guy is 400 dollars more than big box store?  I am going to the big box store. 

5 mins ago, Ditchbag said:

Only use non ethanol gas carb problems solved

Exactly. Ethanol is a nightmare for small engines. I only run TruFuel in the snowblower and chainsaw and never have any issues. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

My vote is Ariens.  I sprung for the bells and whistles including fuel injection and hydrostatic drive.  absolutely love it with instant forward and reverse.  I got the pro model and anticipate never needing another.  my last Ariens was a 1972 8 horse inherited from my father in law who used it in Rochester NY (lots of use)  I sold it two years ago for the same price as my father in law paid for it new.  still running like a top. I use fresh gas and stabil.

Edited by srm413