Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
richs

zap a gap vs. Krazy glue

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Zap-A-Gap is one of the better CA (cyanoacrylate) adhesives. "Krazy Glue" was the trade name for one of the earliest versions of this stuff that was very widely distributed, but I believe it's been surpassed several times over, quality-wise, in recent years. Zap-A-Gap is rather more of a hobby shop item than a hardware store item; modelers love it, and it comes in different viscosities with a line of "kickers" and some other accessories. Tim has it right here, in the SOL catalog, at far better pricing than you're likely to find at a hobby shop.

[This message has been edited by Bill Klein (edited 06-26-2000).]

I don't know how Zap A Gap compares to Zap A Gap but it's worth its weight in glue. Just bustin' 'em for you Rich. It's good stuff.

Hey Bill, I talked to our friend Mark M. today from "you know where". He just got back from some Tampoon fishing and I told him about my expected venture to Cabo San Lucas in July. It seems that he really wants to go there and invited me and my girlfriend to his house for some crabs after we return. Fishing discussions will be last on the list that night. YEAH RIGHT!!!!! smile.gif

------------------

DC ><}}}}>

Definitely worth its weight in glue, Dave wink.gif

So Mark slipped off to the Keys again, did he, or was this a another Boca 'poon adventure? Gettin' a little late for that I'd think, so probably da Keys. You'll have a great time with Mark and Nan; the crabs will have been freshly harvested by the man himself, and the river views are gorgeous. Wonder how they did on the CM rips trip???

Not very good at the rips as I was told both by him as well as the friends I have that frequent that area. It seems that the chunking that goes on in the upper bay at Egg Island Pt. and Bug Light, among other areas has displaced some of the rips fish and keeps them at those areas too long. When they get fed enough they move out fast instead of milling around in the rips.

Oh, this is a glue thread. Zap a Gap in the thicker formula for me. wink.gif

------------------

DC ><}}}}>

RichS, Zap-A-Gap is unique. It will glue anything to anything....I mean it, anything. I've glues slimy, bloody, Fin-S-Fish back onto jigs, without cleaning off the water, blood, or slime. I've glues metal to glass. I believe the package says right on it "you can glue and oily surface to an oily surface" where as all other glues say "clean all surfaces to be glued". This is practical glue, it glues things the way they are, they don't have to be cleaned and dried first. And it comes in thin or thick (I prefer the thin for plastics, the thick for repairs)and with "kickers" as noted.

TimS

I have never used Zap a Gap. I have always used krazy glue, but here is a tip that works on krazy glue (And probably ZAp a gap too). My wife showed me this spray called Nail dry for drying krazy glue. She uses it for drying the glue when she fixes her nails smile.gif. You spray it on the glue and it dries instantly. It might be goood for emnergency glueing on the beach. It smells when you spray it but the smell fades so I dont think its a factor.

(sdorry for the johnM typing - ina n rush)

JimG,

The Zip Kickers that were mentioned earlier in this post do the same thing as the nail dryer that you pointed out. If you need the glue to dry immediately, use the zip kicker, it will bond anything at that very instant. biggrin.gif

------------------

-----------------------

Dubs a.k.a., Charlie

dubs@stripersonline.com

I used zip kicker and zap a gap a lot while building models in architecture school. The only thing to watch out for with the zip kicker is that if you use too much, It will turn yellow when dry. I sprayed the zip kicker very sparingly on both materials and then applied the zap a gap and it was much easier to use this way.

Charlie