BrianBM

The northern boundary of red drum populations

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

The range of striped bass is extending northwards into what used to be Canadian salmon rivers. Fine.

Is the range of the red drum a/k/a channel bass known to be extending northwards too?  Odd fish are occasionally caught in southern New Jersey, but is the meaningful range of this species also moving?

Give "The Call of the Surf" by Van Campen Heilner a read. In the early 20th century, red drum were common in NJ... they were a targeted species by early surfcasters.

I caught a 16" red drum in long Island sound this year, thought it was a weakfish that took a crab when I was togging. Boy was I surprised

1 hour ago, Sir Defyable said:

I caught a 16" red drum in long Island sound this year, thought it was a weakfish that took a crab when I was togging. Boy was I surprised

wow,that had to be a surprise!

HH

Brian:

Seems the southern fish types are making excursions into OC waters for past couple of years - Triggerfish and Cobia were made mention of this year, as well, apparently, quite a few of the smaller pelagic species and Spanish mackerel.  I can only bear witness to the latter in a local inlet, as my fishing frequency/variety of locations was sharply curtailed by severe cartilage damage/osteoarthritis in what was thought to be my good knee - the right one.  Tuesday will be 3 weeks since surgery that left me without cartlage between the femur/tibula and the back of the kneecap, and post "smoothing of the bone end cartlage that is still rough (surgeon can only do so much).  I will be in PT until January, so likely no sand for me until then.  I am trying to do some fishing in the back, but I haven't seen a bass caught since my 31 incher 2 weeks before surgery, so the back waters may have heard the Fat Lady sing.

As regards your original species of interest, the Red Drum and Cobia did venture into the PP canal at night last year, but I have not heard of a reoccurrence this year.  Hopefully, the species I mentions, including the Red Drum, will progressively fill in the void left by the Stripers, as it seems those that do venture into the surf are small.

Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, BrianBM said:

The range of striped bass is extending northwards into what used to be Canadian salmon rivers. Fine.

Is the range of the red drum a/k/a channel bass known to be extending northwards too?  Odd fish are occasionally caught in southern New Jersey, but is the meaningful range of this species also moving?

Assateague Island in MD is about the furthest north they go with regularly for now. As the population gets bigger it expands. We also see the fruits of what a slot did for this fishery. Man there sure are a lot of big drum around now. 

If ya miss the good striper fishing of the early 2000s, head on down to Hatteras and fish for drum in March-May and Sept-nov. Ya just may leave them sissy fish alone for awhile...

Edited by reel gambler
Spelling

Posted (edited)

40 mins ago, reel gambler said:

Assateague Island in MD is about the furthest north they go with regularly for now. As the population gets bigger it expands. We also see the fruits of what a slot did for this fishery. Man there sure are a lot of big drum around now. 

If ya miss the good striper fishing of the early 2000s, head on down to Hatteras and fish for drum in March-May and Sept-nov. Ya just may leave them sissy fish alone for awhile...

Being a North Carolina guy I would trade all the forty and fifty inch drum on the planet for a surf population of 36" stripers I could catch on artificials!

Don't get me wrong, I love the big reds, but (hope the garbage man isn't listening!!!) I'd MUCH rather be casting a two oz plug all night than 8oz plus of lead and a mullet head.

Maybe you will get the scenario with drum one year soon we did with stripers twenty or so years ago.   I had already been fishing obx for twenty years and drove in one night to see Stripers! On the catch board at the tackle shop.  At that point I had never seen a saltwater striper in my life.

They were everywhere for the next several days up to 25-30 pounds.  They came back for a few years and have disappeared again.

Edited by Thumb-Burner

52 mins ago, Thumb-Burner said:

Being a North Carolina guy I would trade all the forty and fifty inch drum on the planet for a surf population of 36" stripers I could catch on artificials!

Don't get me wrong, I love the big reds, but (hope the garbage man isn't listening!!!) I'd MUCH rather be casting a two oz plug all night than 8oz plus of lead and a mullet head.

Maybe you will get the scenario with drum one year soon we did with stripers twenty or so years ago.   I had already been fishing obx for twenty years and drove in one night to see Stripers! On the catch board at the tackle shop.  At that point I had never seen a saltwater striper in my life.

They were everywhere for the next several days up to 25-30 pounds.  They came back for a few years and have disappeared again.

Yep big drum are great but nothing like getting stripers on lures.

Red drum are amazing and have been coming further and further north - I think the farthest I've heard is the canal, but I know Long Island Sound posted a few super randoms (in my eyes) this year - black drum and sheepshead confirmed.  The warmwater discharges have had even weirder holdovers.  

The farthest I've seen in person was a large school off of NJ 

Small pollock (12") were caught just out of the surf about a month ago by one of RI's charter captains.  

Things are changing :)

All interesting posts ... I wonder if global warming is moving the drum north. 

I remember reading, years ago, of anglers catching drum on Hopkins jigs. I think this was a boat fishery. 

When does the Assateague fishery start in the spring?