Plugs for redfish in the surf??

Rate this topic

Thumb-Burner

So I know people catch puppy drum and larger reds on plugs in the sound and icw, etc, but I've never heard of anyone catching or targeting them from the surf with plugs.

Anyone had any success catching them in the surf with plugs?

Edited by Thumb-Burner
If you give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. But, if you teach a man to fish, he will spend all his money on fishing tackle and won't be able to afford to eat!

2 mins ago, ghost said:

Fishing the ocean surf along Atlantic Beach for trout I decided to use a small 6" Rebel and caught a slot red. I have also caught some on bucktails worked very slow thru the sand. 

Thanks!  I lost a quality fish on a scabelly glider at Holden late October.  Never saw it but we didn't catch a single blue all week but did catch a few nice specks.  Guessing that's what is was.  Felt like a 3-5# fish

If you give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. But, if you teach a man to fish, he will spend all his money on fishing tackle and won't be able to afford to eat!

MirroLures and Yozuri's are popular along the SC coast, and Reds are caught on them. Not the same as tossing the big wood surf lures in the NE, but folks do use them. I've used both here, but more in the inlets, so not really surf fishing. 

Most surf guys I've talked to down here were dunking bait. I've tossed various types of lures around the inlets & backwaters, but mostly used bait when surf fishing here.  Probably like most places, there's some who simply like tossing lures, so it's done by that few. I much rather throw lures than sit & wait dunking baits, but usually go with jigs or spoons in the surf when I do use lures.   

Folks are going to use what works for them, no matter where they're fishing. The majority of reports or posts I read here, where folks are catching on plugs, they're fishing the rivers by boat. 

4 mins ago, Jim H said:

MirroLures and Yozuri's are popular along the SC coast, and Reds are caught on them. Not the same as tossing the big wood surf lures in the NE, but folks do use them. I've used both here, but more in the inlets, so not really surf fishing. 

Most surf guys I've talked to down here were dunking bait. I've tossed various types of lures around the inlets & backwaters, but mostly used bait when surf fishing here.  Probably like most places, there's some who simply like tossing lures, so it's done by that few. I much rather throw lures than sit & wait dunking baits, but usually go with jigs or spoons in the surf when I do use lures.   

Folks are going to use what works for them, no matter where they're fishing. The majority of reports or posts I read here, where folks are catching on plugs, they're fishing the rivers by boat. 

I'm like you.  I love to catch fish but it's ten times more fun with artificial to me.  I really like being different.(those who know me would tell you I've been successful!)..   I'm committing to really invest time in some custom lures from the beach this year.   Lost a really nice fish (likely trout) at Holden this fall on a scabelly glider and I'm hooked now

My one uncle had a beach house at Holdens for many, many years. When I was a kid we would go to NC to visit my grandparents & usually stayed at the beach house. I fished as much as I could, and mostly in the ICW. 

Being a kid, I didn't have much tackle, but did have some spoons & bucktails, and caught puppy drum, both Reds & Blacks sometimes on those lures. Even the occasional Speck if we got down there in warmer months, but most of it was winter fishing. I caught more fish on shrimp than I did on anything else. 

When we fished the ocean side, it was usually from a pier, but back then there was public access to the inlets, and we would fish from the beach. I even tossed some flies in those places. 

Since then, here in SC, we would vacation here & I would again spend more time fishing the backwaters & inlets than the surf, primarily because I would rather toss lures, or flies. We would dunk baits in the surf, again mostly shrimp, which is fun for having dinner, but has never been my favored way to fish. 

Of course, anywhere I've gone whenever I've had the opportunity to talk with others, particularly anyone local, I try to learn as much as I can from them. Last time at Pawley's Island I was talking to a fellow who was killing the Blues on a spoon, while the rest of us were catching nothing or only undersize fish. That fellow told me that he tossed the Mirrolures & Yozuri's a lot, and several others have said the same. So, whenever I go to the coast, I make sure I have some with me along with a variety of other lures that have worked for me in the past. 

I'll still throw the small Rebels too, and as I mentioned before bucktails & spoons. IMO, I think if you're going to toss lures, you have to try different things to see what might work. 

BTW, another lure that I have had some success with is an old Cordell Spot Minnow. They don't seem to get much love from others, but I've done very well with them. I like them for trout, and flounder, but am sure that drum will grab them too, I just haven't caught one on them yet. 

These are some of my favorites for the coast. 

100_4644.JPG

100_4646.JPG

100_5055.JPG

100_5057.JPG

100_5066.JPG

100_5065.JPG

100_5127.JPG

100_5220.JPG

100_5224.JPG

100_5325.JPG

• 1 month later...

Never tried it, but I wonder how a Cordell Redfin worked slowly would do as a wake bait. 

"It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most
Not where you live, what you drive or the price tag on your clothes" -Zac Brown Band

"A leader is someone who keeps their head when everyone else is losing theirs." -Bryant Wright

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 9:21 AM, Jim H said:

My one uncle had a beach house at Holdens for many, many years. When I was a kid we would go to NC to visit my grandparents & usually stayed at the beach house. I fished as much as I could, and mostly in the ICW. 

Being a kid, I didn't have much tackle, but did have some spoons & bucktails, and caught puppy drum, both Reds & Blacks sometimes on those lures. Even the occasional Speck if we got down there in warmer months, but most of it was winter fishing. I caught more fish on shrimp than I did on anything else. 

When we fished the ocean side, it was usually from a pier, but back then there was public access to the inlets, and we would fish from the beach. I even tossed some flies in those places. 

Since then, here in SC, we would vacation here & I would again spend more time fishing the backwaters & inlets than the surf, primarily because I would rather toss lures, or flies. We would dunk baits in the surf, again mostly shrimp, which is fun for having dinner, but has never been my favored way to fish. 

Of course, anywhere I've gone whenever I've had the opportunity to talk with others, particularly anyone local, I try to learn as much as I can from them. Last time at Pawley's Island I was talking to a fellow who was killing the Blues on a spoon, while the rest of us were catching nothing or only undersize fish. That fellow told me that he tossed the Mirrolures & Yozuri's a lot, and several others have said the same. So, whenever I go to the coast, I make sure I have some with me along with a variety of other lures that have worked for me in the past. 

I'll still throw the small Rebels too, and as I mentioned before bucktails & spoons. IMO, I think if you're going to toss lures, you have to try different things to see what might work. 

BTW, another lure that I have had some success with is an old Cordell Spot Minnow. They don't seem to get much love from others, but I've done very well with them. I like them for trout, and flounder, but am sure that drum will grab them too, I just haven't caught one on them yet. 

These are some of my favorites for the coast. 

100_4644.JPG

100_4646.JPG

100_5055.JPG

100_5057.JPG

100_5066.JPG

100_5065.JPG

100_5127.JPG

100_5220.JPG

100_5224.JPG

100_5325.JPG

Nice Jim.  Thanks for the info.

• 4 weeks later...