Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hatteras Loner

Braid versus Mono.

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Once I went to PP I can't imagine I'll ever go back to mono in the surf.

Fishing with mono is like fishing with a big rubber band compared to PP.

How ever using PP does require more finesse.

If you the kind of fisherman who likes to cross the fish's eyes when you get a hit you will more then likely rip the hook out.

Jess Sr. or anybody with the speeeeeerience that can tell me more about the extra finnese needed with braid on 6500c3ctblue yonder or in general when casting distance please tell me about the finnese.

Hatteras Loner

I'm not familiar with your set up but in general there is no stretch in pp.

Make sure you line is taunt when closing your bail and close it manually. Also if your casting weight have something over your finger or the line will cut you.

When setting the hook it only requires a small pull being how there is no stretch.

I'm sure there are others on here that can give you more advice too.

Good luck and have fun smile.gif

You have to match braid with the appropriate reel. Narrow spools are an invitation to trouble with loops, tangles, and knots. Get a tall spool with cross layment of the line so that the line does not dig into itself on the spool. I think the Daiwa Emcast is the best bang for the buck when it comes to a spinning reel for braid . @80.00 Visually check to see that the line has not jumped the spool and is laying across the front of the spool before you cast. Or, run your finger around the rim of the spool to check for this. Closing the bail by hand will minimize this problem. You're gonna love braid if you do it right!!

Make sure the braid has enough thickness to not cut into itself on the spool. 30 lb fireline works well, 20 lb is a wee too thin, atleast on levelwind 6500s. If you hear a "ticking" on the cast, it is the line popping out from where it has cut into the spool. Level the line a little faster side to side to fix this. Also make your first cast a very easy one. hold the rod tip close to, or even in the water to wet the line thoroughly before you cast for real. Braid is much more forgiving when it is wet. Also you won't get that hamburger smell when you have to touch the spool during a cast. wink.gif

I think 30 lb PP will be fine,even though it is thinner than Fireline30, due to it's "roundness"

I second Jess_sr in the notion not to hold the line directly with your finger when casting weight. 6oz. of lead being flung with all of your strength using PP will take an almond-shaped piece of your index finger with it!!! crying.gifcwm31.gifcrying.gifcwm31.gifcrying.gif