jetty eddy

Back in the day fall runs.

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, frezzy said:

You won't need to worry about that in Jersey.  There is a 0.0% chance that Jersey will go with the slot limit that is on the table   There is a 100% chance they will use the conservation equivelancy to make sure Jersey anglers can still slaughter at least one big breeder.  And they will still weasel their way into keeping a second short fish as well.  Whether it be via the BS bonus tag program or some type of closed season in July and August (when you have no fish anyways).  So while all of New England and most likely NY go with the slot limit to try and save what is left of the big breeders, Jersey will continue to slaughter them.  And keep a second fish as well!

You're probably right unfortunately. If they make it a 1 bass slot limit, it would probably put a lot of charter and party boats out of business. Not many guys want to spend 200 after tip etc on a 6 pack and only take 2 small fillets home.

Close it for 2 years, then reevaluate. Bluefish need help too, and lets not forget about the blackfish. They are in real trouble, they grow slow and hang on pieces everyone knows about. So they get hammered til there's none left.

22 hours ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

Pre-Sandy, What.... all BS......"Back in the day"....OP said......let's talk about the Fall Runs, Jetty Row, the Sea Bright Wall, etc......when bass would pin schools of bunker into the Cove and it would be lined with fishermen as dawn was breaking. Water boiling and fish being landed on the beach by everyone throwin Atom Plugs.......those were the days of the "Blitzes".....this is really very sad seeing pics of juvenile fish, one reason why I choose not to post any.

Well said. I was there in all those places. There was structure. There was bait. There were fish. Blues, Bass. Weakies. Live lining bunker off the wall. Fishing the old submerged pilings in front of the wall on lower tides. Times were good. On the negative side there were times when some people would limit out on bass, leave the area, then return to limit out AGAIN in the same day at a time when limit was set at 10 per day. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Absolutely......the only line guys fished with was Ande, Glass Rods with Penn Greenies and Sandworms were reasonably priced.

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal

5 hours ago, Shipwreck said:

Sandy is only in the conversation because of when it hit.  The writing was already on the wall when that storm took place.  I agree with Ridenfish and others.  We killed them all and dumped sand and watched the charter fleet explode.  Dead big breeders for weeks at a time every day for years.

****ing duh.  NJ sucks

The charter business certainly does damage, but I don't think its a charter business problem, its a people problem. Do people forget what the spring bunker blitzes used to be like from the beach?  Every guy hauling away 2x 20-40 lbrs to the tackle shop to weigh in?  Some of them ending up in a freezer/dumpster so they could go back to the same rockpile in Deal to catch more.  Lets not act like that didn't happen almost daily every year from late may through mid july, I watched it.  Jetty country was what the canal is now, 50% of cars in ocean Avenue in monmouth county seemingly had a surfrod and a pencil at the ready.  Today surf guys definitely have a holier than thou attitude about it, but really just dont have the opportunity to do that anymore. I'm sure if the big fish were tight to the beach it would be a complete slaughter from the sand as well.  There's plenty of conservation minded surfcasters, but its really not at all difficult to fool a 30 lbr when theyre committing suicide on a bunker school and plenty of complete morons were easily catching what would be the PB of 90% of the guys in the reports thread these days.  My point is people in general are greedy and need to have restrictions imposed on them or theyll just use up any resources they can find.  

Not trying to take a dig at you shipwreck, just tired of surf guys whining when in fact many would surely be doing the exact same as the inshore fleet given the opportunity.  The population is in the gutter, we more than likely need drastic new regulations across the board, until then its just going to be alot of bitching and moaning from the guys who dont have access to the last of the resource.

9 hours ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

Absolutely......the only line guys fished with was Ande, Glass Rods with Penn Greenies and Sandworms were reasonably priced.

Yessir Big. Ande 12-15lb loaded on a Daiwa Silver Series 2600c or 4000 c mated to a 9ft Harnell fast action blank custom built for the outrageous price of $24. I still carry the rod at times.

On 11/26/2019 at 9:21 AM, Mr. Bigdeal said:

Pre-Sandy, What.... all BS......"Back in the day"....OP said......let's talk about the Fall Runs, Jetty Row, the Sea Bright Wall, etc......when bass would pin schools of bunker into the Cove and it would be lined with fishermen as dawn was breaking. Water boiling and fish being landed on the beach by everyone throwin Atom Plugs.......those were the days of the "Blitzes".....this is really very sad seeing pics of juvenile fish, one reason why I choose not to post any.

The day after Thanksgiving 1989....me and my brother were on the wall at Big Monmouth. Freight trains of bunker going by and were getting destroyed in huge blitzes. they were just out of casting range but one boat managed to get in on the action.  Yak fishing had not taken hold but someone in a yak would have had sleigh rides all day. The wall got too crowded for our liking and we went to Little Szechuan.

Beach replenishment and people keeping/killing breeders have destroyed the surf striper fishery in NJ. The bass just migrate by offshore and don't come in to the beaches like they used to. There is no reason for them to come in.....no food, no structure, just empty sand. There is a picture in my son's bedroom of the Convent jetty at Cape May Point circa 1985. Good grief, the fish my Grandfather and I caught off that jetty. it's buried now as are all the Point jetties, 2nd St, Philadelphia Ave etc etc etc. 

20 hours ago, bbfish said:

The charter business certainly does damage, but I don't think its a charter business problem, its a people problem. Do people forget what the spring bunker blitzes used to be like from the beach?  Every guy hauling away 2x 20-40 lbrs to the tackle shop to weigh in?  Some of them ending up in a freezer/dumpster so they could go back to the same rockpile in Deal to catch more.  Lets not act like that didn't happen almost daily every year from late may through mid july, I watched it.  Jetty country was what the canal is now, 50% of cars in ocean Avenue in monmouth county seemingly had a surfrod and a pencil at the ready.  Today surf guys definitely have a holier than thou attitude about it, but really just dont have the opportunity to do that anymore. I'm sure if the big fish were tight to the beach it would be a complete slaughter from the sand as well.  There's plenty of conservation minded surfcasters, but its really not at all difficult to fool a 30 lbr when theyre committing suicide on a bunker school and plenty of complete morons were easily catching what would be the PB of 90% of the guys in the reports thread these days.  My point is people in general are greedy and need to have restrictions imposed on them or theyll just use up any resources they can find.  

Not trying to take a dig at you shipwreck, just tired of surf guys whining when in fact many would surely be doing the exact same as the inshore fleet given the opportunity.  The population is in the gutter, we more than likely need drastic new regulations across the board, until then its just going to be alot of bitching and moaning from the guys who dont have access to the last of the resource.

That spring fishery was epic for close to 10 years. Can you imagine if half those fish remained in the population?

NJ’s for hire industry is horrible as well.  The regs need change and if guys go out of business, so be it. People lose jobs all the time. For hires shouldn’t be sparred the risk that everyone else has in their lives. 

Overall, NJ is horrible when it comes to conservation and it’s systemic. No matter what species it is NJ will fight any and all conservation attempts. When the fish are gone (and they’re going that way) then what? 

On 11/28/2019 at 8:51 AM, Drew C. said:

NJ’s for hire industry is horrible as well.  The regs need change and if guys go out of business, so be it. People lose jobs all the time. For hires shouldn’t be sparred the risk that everyone else has in their lives. 

Overall, NJ is horrible when it comes to conservation and it’s systemic. No matter what species it is NJ will fight any and all conservation attempts. When the fish are gone (and they’re going that way) then what? 

:th:

On 11/27/2019 at 6:50 AM, Shipwreck said:

Sandy is only in the conversation because of when it hit.  The writing was already on the wall when that storm took place.  I agree with Ridenfish and others.  We killed them all and dumped sand and watched the charter fleet explode.  Dead big breeders for weeks at a time every day for years.

****ing duh.  NJ sucks

Sandy is a lazy excuse. 

On 11/22/2019 at 6:14 PM, ridenfish said:

Beach replenishment, omega protein hammering the bunker, boat guys keeping hundreds of 30 lb plus fish a day.....bluefish being used a fertilizer and shark bait......people rolling bass and blues in the dry sand like they’re Panko breading them then expecting them to survive release   
The future ain’t good. 

lol  panko bread