jetty eddy

Back in the day fall runs.

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

Fished when it was one fish over 36 inches. More crowded then. Remember CO came flying over dune in IBSP and told guy if he couldn’t revive 35 incher he was getting big fine. 

it was no better back then. Some years bigger fish came in sometimes not.

some years peanuts huh coast sometimes they sneak out overnight. Sometimes ton of big sandeels hang around sometimes don’t. Had decent runs of both not that long ago. 

I used to know how much they spent on beach projects and where $ come from. Hate pumping sand but not sure it’s sole reason. Over ten years ago was told by commercial guys stripers bait far as eye could see 13 miles or so out. 

I think rising water temperatures reason also. Fisheries moving north. Bass overwinter in Massachusetts. Guys killing speckled trout in south jersey. Sea bass and fluke fisheries moving north.

quit complaining and fish and enjoy the nature around to see,

On 11/22/2019 at 6:14 PM, ridenfish said:

Beach replenishment, omega protein hammering the bunker, boat guys keeping hundreds of 30 lb plus fish a day.....bluefish being used a fertilizer and shark bait......people rolling bass and blues in the dry sand like they’re Panko breading them then expecting them to survive release   
The future ain’t good. 

Agreed...the fishery is doomed.  Too many balloon knots.

1 min ago, AckStriperGuyDD said:

Agreed...the fishery is doomed.  Too many balloon knots.

Wait til all the 40 lb floaters appear next spring in slicks behind the charter fleet after they heave them into the boat, hang them by the gills from a scale, and take 10,000 pictures of them before throwing them 6’ over the rail and back into the water.  
They need to close Bass fishing for the next 2 years and lower the bluefish limit to 5 and put a size restriction on them.  

31 mins ago, ridenfish said:

Wait til all the 40 lb floaters appear next spring in slicks behind the charter fleet after they heave them into the boat, hang them by the gills from a scale, and take 10,000 pictures of them before throwing them 6’ over the rail and back into the water.  
They need to close Bass fishing for the next 2 years and lower the bluefish limit to 5 and put a size restriction on them.  

Yeah The Charter pics of piles of huge dead bass with people laying on them were the norm for years and now we can't buy a keeper sized fish....Nice job everyone. The Charter/Party boat business can't be sustained if there's no fish. Maybe they should figure out how to transform their businesses into a C&R operation like the many I have taken down south for example. If only bass were inedible like Tarpon, we'd be in a different position.

I've been fishing the beaches for close to 20 years and the last 5 years have been absolutely horrible. I remember many seasons where we had multiple 30" fish every almost every outing. 40" fish fairly common. Bass Blitzes for weeks. Now we're lucky to get a couple of keepers all season. Schools of bunker wandering around with no Striped Bass or Blues attacking them. It's a desperate situation and not going to get better until we stop killing Striped Bass. It's really as simple as that. Don't support catch and kill charters, crush your barbs, use single hooks, ditch the bait, release the fish properly. New slot regs aren't going to work. We need a moratorium.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Pre-Sandy, What.... all BS......"Back in the day"....OP said......let's talk about the Fall Runs, Jetty Row, the Sea Bright Wall, etc......when bass would pin schools of bunker into the Cove and it would be lined with fishermen as dawn was breaking. Water boiling and fish being landed on the beach by everyone throwin Atom Plugs.......those were the days of the "Blitzes".....this is really very sad seeing pics of juvenile fish, one reason why I choose not to post any.

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal

............                             ..............               .................................................................................................................

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 11/25/2019 at 8:18 AM, ridenfish said:

You won't need to worry about that in Jersey.  There is a 0.0% chance that Jersey will go with the slot limit that is on the table   There is a 100% chance they will use the conservation equivelancy to make sure Jersey anglers can still slaughter at least one big breeder.  And they will still weasel their way into keeping a second short fish as well.  Whether it be via the BS bonus tag program or some type of closed season in July and August (when you have no fish anyways).  So while all of New England and most likely NY go with the slot limit to try and save what is left of the big breeders, Jersey will continue to slaughter them.  And keep a second fish as well!

Edited by frezzy

1 hour ago, frezzy said:

You won't need to worry about that in Jersey.  There is a 0.0% chance that Jersey will go with the slot limit that is on the table   There is a 100% chance they will use the conservation equivelancy to make sure Jersey anglers can still slaughter at least one big breeder.  And they will still weasel their way into keeping a second short fish as well.  Whether it be via the BS bonus tag program or some type of closed season in July and August (when you have no fish anyways).  So while all of New England and most likely NY go with the slot limit to try and save what is left of the big breeders, Jersey will continue to slaughter them.  And keep a second fish as well!

Absolutely. People in NJ wondering why the fishing sucks only need to look at their regs and overall mentality when it comes to 'harvest'. With CE, I'm better NJ will find a way to keep 3 fish still. They'll close the season in the summer, pat themselves on the back about doing during the high temp times. Then NJ will do one at 28", 'trophy' tag for 1 @ 24-27.99 and then allow a big fish, 40"+ from 10/1-12/31. 

They can't make $$$$ unless they sell tags.........everything here has a price or is illegal unless you agree to pay a fee, permit license, tax...yup, it sucks.

Edit: creating new topic on this...my reply was about surf clams.

All I know it my great friend Andy is turning in his grave to see his favorite fishery in the shape it's in. I used to read his logs... wow. What a difference from years past. I fished some good fall runs but nothing like he has. He is the reason I got into Stripers. Miss ya partner!

Sandy is only in the conversation because of when it hit.  The writing was already on the wall when that storm took place.  I agree with Ridenfish and others.  We killed them all and dumped sand and watched the charter fleet explode.  Dead big breeders for weeks at a time every day for years.

****ing duh.  NJ sucks