jetty eddy

Back in the day fall runs.

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

I don't fish as much as I once did, but I remember mucho times when the beaches were crowded and everyone was hooking up.There would be the picket fence of surfcasters and the fish were there. What happened?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beach replenishment, omega protein hammering the bunker, boat guys keeping hundreds of 30 lb plus fish a day.....bluefish being used a fertilizer and shark bait......people rolling bass and blues in the dry sand like they’re Panko breading them then expecting them to survive release   
The future ain’t good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jetty eddy said:

I don't fish as much as I once did, but I remember mucho times when the beaches were crowded and everyone was hooking up.There would be the picket fence of surfcasters and the fish were there. What happened?

Whatdaya mean, the picket fences are still there for the one migrating short.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 mins ago, Whortleberry said:

Whatdaya mean, the picket fences are still there for the one migrating short.

Should have been all days blitz condition today.  I was rooting for you guys on the beach cams. Man there are MANY of guys out fishing today. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 mins ago, hobobob said:

Should have been all days blitz condition today.  I was rooting for you guys on the beach cams. Man there are MANY of guys out fishing today. 

Sad when you have to worry about burning a spot where you caught and posted about one 24 incher.  Wonder what the posts will look like 10 years from now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ridenfish said:

Beach replenishment, omega protein hammering the bunker, boat guys keeping hundreds of 30 lb plus fish a day.....bluefish being used a fertilizer and shark bait......people rolling bass and blues in the dry sand like they’re Panko breading them then expecting them to survive release   
The future ain’t good. 

YEP !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Whortleberry said:

Sad when you have to worry about burning a spot where you caught and posted about one 24 incher.  Wonder what the posts will look like 10 years from now.

10 years ago most guys didn't feel the need to post about one 24 incher. There are many guys that still don't feel the need to and are out there catching fish. 10 years from now those same guys posting 24 inchers will be posting about 18 inchers and wondering what the problem is.....:headscratch:. It's all cyclical. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, jetty eddy said:

I don't fish as much as I once did, but I remember mucho times when the beaches were crowded and everyone was hooking up.There would be the picket fence of surfcasters and the fish were there. What happened?

 

Most of them were killed. And the number of people fishing for them has doubled or more. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting thoughts... 

 

i don’t spend as much time fishing as most each season- but I noticed a huge and drastic change after Sandy. That seemed to be the turning point for me for the beach. Fish were still caught from the boat, but the surf was much less productive. Where pre-Sandy it was pretty much always fish, schoolies - if you knew where to fish (rips etc) and of you wanted bigger fish- find the bait and birds and other flock of fisherman . 

 

Anyways- I just feel like something with the bottom changed drastically with Sandy- weather what ever held baitfish in tight is no longer there- or the needlefishs habitat changed - idk, but something changed at the point 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Me. Belmar, I agree with your opinion. 2011 was productive and 2012 it’s been  all downhill and getting worse every year since the storm. Not only the bass also the bluefish have been on a steady decline. I just hope it turns around and we all should catch and release.  Good luck!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Overall there are less guys out right now so less being caught and fewer reports on the Internet which translates to fewer couch potatoes chasing reports  and unable to find and work for their own fish. Cruel but true!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, gcjeep14 said:

Me. Belmar, I agree with your opinion. 2011 was productive and 2012 it’s been  all downhill and getting worse every year since the storm. Not only the bass also the bluefish have been on a steady decline. I just hope it turns around and we all should catch and release.  Good luck!

 

Good point gcjeep! 

I didn’t even think about blue fish! I remember pre-sandy where you would hear of (or even witness) a blitz on the beach but come to find it’s only blues - then walk away to find another spot- “It’s all just blue fish... I’m looking for bass” at the same time not wanting to sacrifice your plugs paint job lol ...

not anymore! I think all of us would just love the chance to have our tips bent and drags spinning...

anyways, I’m all about catch and release while caring for the fish’s health... but I feel like something else might be at play

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

20 hours ago, CharlieK said:

Overall there are less guys out right now so less being caught and fewer reports on the Internet which translates to fewer couch potatoes chasing reports  and unable to find and work for their own fish. Cruel but true!


You think so? I have only fished for bass four or five times this fall, all at night, and it seemed the numbers of people were up or at least the same as years past.

 

And I feel like over the last few years there’s big a big increase in guys fishing for striped bass.

Edited by PhilCVG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.