Fishing-Addict

Winter saltwater fishing for shore bound anglers NY

Rate this topic

69 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Monmouth County beaches and inlets - no herring.

Sunday - Fished afternoon, late evening from the inlets and marinas.  Next morning, fished the beaches, jetties and inlets.  Nothing.

If I had not had various appointments and fires to put out, I would have tried fishing piers on the North inside the hook.  But had to do the 4 hour drive back to Virginia.

Edited by BillHoo

On 12/23/2019 at 10:40 AM, BillHoo said:

What size sabiki?

Little - dime sized

Medium - Quarter sized

Large - Tootsie roll sized

Bigger?

Did you use a flasher (half of a broken CD/DVD, or strip of aluminum pie plate?)

I've been trying a diamond jig as the flasher. Gets some distance too.

If you could believe... I toss 'em back, just do it to keep busy for the winter.

I ration off a few to folks next to me if we build camaraderie.

'Fish Your Way' has an interesting UToob video on Pan Fried Oven Baked Herring that supposedly dissolves much of the bones.

Personally not a fan of pickling them.

Some folks make stews and even fish cakes. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

We just scale and gut , olive oil salt pepper maybe a lil lemon and bake them quick  .. if they fresh caught that day , they are real nice .. they don’t keep well imo and hense I guess why pickling is so big with them .. 

Edited by Wire For Fire

On 1/13/2020 at 1:50 AM, SacoStriperFisha said:

What are you guys doing with the herring?

Here is the one I use:

1liter of H2O, 6 table spoons of salt (coarse, do not take fine salt, it will make it to strong of a solution), some coriander seeds, some black pepper, some all spice. Grind all spices with mortar/pestle, and drop it all in the boiling water with some bay leaf. boil for 5 mins, and let it cool to room temp. take herring (I do not gut it) and put in in the solution. Refrigerate for 2 days (make sure that fish is completely submerged). After 2 days take it out, clean and skin it, make fillets.Cut fillets and put it in oil, add cut onions to it. I eat it with boiled potatoes. this is Russian way. you can look up matjes herring(something like that) and other ways Scandinavian people make it

Oh that sounds good! The only way I've had herring is the smoked herring from a local fish market.  Super salty but amazing, you are probably supposed to cook with it, but I eat it as is.