Fishing-Addict

Winter saltwater fishing for shore bound anglers NY

Rate this topic

69 posts in this topic

Does anyone know if the herring are around Staten Island, or just further east? I keep telling myself I need to get a mess of em, but crossing the Hudson into the eternal traffic mess doesn't seem worth it.

14 mins ago, gellfex said:

Does anyone know if the herring are around Staten Island, or just further east? I keep telling myself I need to get a mess of em, but crossing the Hudson into the eternal traffic mess doesn't seem worth it.

It should, since staten island just the other side from brooklyn.  I would make a day trip scouting out any potential spots. The good news is that herring scale is quite easy to spot. The bad news is the current run is at best a meh. 

20 mins ago, hobobob said:

The good news is that herring scale is quite easy to spot.

What do you mean? Scales all over a pier from other fishermen?

2 mins ago, gellfex said:

What do you mean? Scales all over a pier from other fishermen?

Yes. Herring scales are easily rubbed off the fish just from handling, the scales will stick to everything it touches.  I would start looking from your home port. Any bulk head, pier, river, inlet, etc, with moving water and small baitfish.

1 min ago, hobobob said:

Yes. Herring scales are easily rubbed off the fish just from handling, the scales will stick to everything it touches.  I would start looking from your home port. Any bulk head, pier, river, inlet, etc, with moving water and small baitfish.

I don't think they come into NY Harbor or I would have heard of it. Normally this kind of info can be had at your local B&T, but sadly the only B&T here now is run by Koreans and the counterpeople barely speak English!  Maybe I'll check out the SI piers and beaches.

6 mins ago, gellfex said:

I don't think they come into NY Harbor or I would have heard of it. Normally this kind of info can be had at your local B&T, but sadly the only B&T here now is run by Koreans and the counterpeople barely speak English!  Maybe I'll check out the SI piers and beaches.

They do, check the back bay also. for some reason, you just don't hear about it in NJ.  Sabiki rig is a universal language, bring a map. lol

21 hours ago, BillHoo said:

What size sabiki?

Little - dime sized

Medium - Quarter sized

Large - Tootsie roll sized

Bigger?

Did you use a flasher (half of a broken CD/DVD, or strip of aluminum pie plate?)

I guess medium size. no flashers...but they wont hurt. I will try to put em on today

I hit up some Herring earlier this week, have had a hard time locating them on Long Island (i'm sure there are spots),  went to Brooklyn ( Jamaica Bay) and they are starting to thin out big time.

Used sabiki size 6,  used an aluminum baking pan from dollar tree since I was in a pinch as a flasher.  There were guys with double flashers, single flashers and no flashers...all caught.

From what I read in terms of regulations, a single line in NY may only contain 5 lures upon it, most sabiki come standard with 5 rigs.

I noticed a specific population doubling up, using 10 jigs, double flashers, their goal was quite clear ...deplete, destroy, pillage, fill up buckets and garbage bags etc.  I saw entire families out there, mother, father, children, grandma and grandpa all with buckets.

I don't keep fish and I'm all for understanding table fair... but this was just ridiculous  ( anyway this is an old argument... rant over ).

On 12/23/2019 at 11:22 AM, JillJillu said:

Herrings run still going good, though the fish size getting smaller and smaller.

This weekend catch on one trip with a friend.

herrings2.jpg

herrings1.jpg

Hahaha! Not many piers have a table on it lol.

Last two trips to western south shore produced herring. Very spotty. Got 10 in an hour before it died.

Edited by Frozenbarb

15 hours ago, Frozenbarb said:

Hahaha! Not many piers have a table on it lol.

Last two trips to western south shore produced herring. Very spotty. Got 10 in an hour before it died.

lol. tried my best not to get spot burn complaint. so, left little bread crumbs and you nailed it :howdy:

You guys want to laugh.... I took that picture - whoever that is holding up those fish, I was the guy that offered to take the photo for you

The only difference was that the guy I took a photo of definitely had more than 1 giant eyeball

Edited by baldadonis2002

15 hours ago, baldadonis2002 said:

You guys want to laugh.... I took that picture - whoever that is holding up those fish, I was the guy that offered to take the photo for you

The only difference was that the guy I took a photo of definitely had more than 1 giant eyeball

A small world :(

Thanks again for offering a snap :)