Fishing-Addict

Winter saltwater fishing for shore bound anglers NY

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Hey guys hope everyone has had a good fall season so far. I had a decent season lots of schoolie stripers I only managed 1 keeper thus far but that is fine for me. Just wanted to know what saltwater fish are around in the winter around NY. Usually in the winter I go ice fishing. I know there are sometimes small striped bass that still around but to be honest I am bored of catching small striped bass. So whats some fish species that around in the winter for shore bound anglers? Any info appreciated. I dont want spots to fish. I want available fish species.

35 mins ago, JillJillu said:

Herrings is another option.. usually hit any piers or inlets after Dec 1st till March..

Last year was 2, 3 weeks tops. :waah:

Posted (edited) · Report post

White perch can be fun if you get into a nice school of them, but in general, nothing worth freezing for IMO.

Edited by C.Robin

10 mins ago, C.Robin said:

White perch can be fun if you get into a nice school of them, but in general, nothing worth freezing for IMO.

You haven't lived until you fished a herring run in near freezing temp in the rain and sleet.  A true test of your winter gear and will power. 

There isn’t much. Going from fishing 5 trips a week to none causes painful withdrawals. I will target trout if it’s warm enough, take a couple of trips south if I can (Caribbean or Florida) and take care of the stuff I didn’t do around the house all season. 

Stripers every month of the year is old news.

You just need milder conditions. They'll even

take last years freezer burned clams.

On 11/22/2019 at 8:43 PM, SandSpike1 said:

Herring is your best bet. I've also been trying for cod.

No luck yet.

Any special rig or bait for cod fishing from shore, Pier, or Dock?

Has anyone been catching any Atlantic (sea) herring?  Don't have to indicate location, just whether they are being caught and whether the run is strong or weak.