codfish

Year in review 2019, how was yours?

Rate this topic

87 posts in this topic

On 11/30/2019 at 9:47 AM, codfish said:

Thanks for sharing:) just curious did you have a push of short fin squid like we had in CCB??

Yes!  And how funny was it when the squid got thinner right around the end of July inshore bite died out.  Maybe they followed the squid. 

The Spring I consistently zigged when I should have zagged. Fish were there and nice ones, buddies did well on the nights I didn't go. 

Fall was great. Getting on the boat and catching many big bass throwing big plugs. There are still fish around now but its building season and I caught my share even though they all were released.

It was a pretty great year for me. Spring was terrible for me, I just couldn't find the fish it was really frustrating. Fall was epic for me nothing too big but I caught ALOT of fish, might be the best I've ever had quantity wise.  Went to Montauk for the first time this year and now I'm obsessed. Took the nearly 4 HR drive 5 times, sometimes I drove there fished a tide and then went home. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'd give it a 7 on a scale of 1-10. Pretty good overall. Solid spring with a couple of really nice bay bass. Heck of a gator run for me with one of those classic days where they were cant miss mixed in. Summer, eh...not great. Fluking hasn't been good for me in a long time. Late summer into fall I had a really strong mullet run. A ton of schoolies to just keeper bass for a good 2 weeks. No albis though other than one I caught in OC before a storm..Fall run, dissapointing from beaches, strong from boat. Funny enough, got my pb from the beach tho at 40lbs. That was def the highlight of my season...Now, kinda glad I'm shutting it down until spring. Makes me get the bug again in late feb, march..than it's go time. Here's some highlights.20190905_161811.jpg.0d07895b9106d7ebcf39c59e9d290257.jpg20191022_172753.jpg.42414a70dc5828afa7cce6827161f5fe.jpg

Edited by joefishnj21

On 12/1/2019 at 1:03 PM, The Riddler said:

Yes!  And how funny was it when the squid got thinner right around the end of July inshore bite died out.  Maybe they followed the squid. 

2018 the short fin squid came into CCB in big numbers, 2019 it was more like an invasion:) 

Sucked for me.  Work got in the way too much and I missed the spring.  Got out a bit more in the fall and landed two shorts but that was it for the year.  Skunked every time I went out.  

Only a few keeper sized bass in the spring for me up to 15lbs and this was the 2nd fall in a row of no big bass (only launched a handful of times due to weather).  I did get a few insane days on some gorilla blues up to 38" which was a first for me.  I focused on sheepshead over fluke this year and landed my PB sheepshead just shy of 15lbs. I put a lot of time in on kayak musky fishing and caught a few up to 47".  Most importantly i was able to get out on the yak over 50 trips this year.

7 hours ago, odiemike86 said:

Only a few keeper sized bass in the spring for me up to 15lbs and this was the 2nd fall in a row of no big bass (only launched a handful of times due to weather).  I did get a few insane days on some gorilla blues up to 38" which was a first for me.  I focused on sheepshead over fluke this year and landed my PB sheepshead just shy of 15lbs. I put a lot of time in on kayak musky fishing and caught a few up to 47".  Most importantly i was able to get out on the yak over 50 trips this year.

50 nice:)

Spring was okay but nothing like the prior year. Lots of good fish up to 25# but I struggled to break the 30# mark. I think i eventually did break 30 but i was more focused on getting the fish to swim off. The lack of big fish was a result of me dropping every big fish I hooked into. I had some shots at 40+ and they rolled my hooks, broke me off, or missed the plug.

Fall was terrible. I really dont find it worth while to drive 4+ hours round trip for rats. I tried staying away from the crowd but it never paid off. Biggest fish went 36" and only 10 keepers...

I did well with stripers in the spring but nothing in the fall because I was too busy to fish for them or conditions did not cooperate when I did have time.

Fluke fishing sucked

Got into the gator blues once on the kayak

Never got out for tog

Largemouth fishing was decent

My best year ever for smallmouth got my PB

Got my PB crappie too

During these winter months, I just hope we dont see ice so I can catch a few large pickerel