codfish

Year in review 2019, how was yours?

Rate this topic

87 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I decided to not drive long distance to fish. Explored the fresh water possibilities near home and was not disappointed. Great fun and fished for freshie stripes a bit. I'm happy and put more time in fishing instead of driving. 

I fish alone - with no crowds. Awesome.

Edited by Lateral Line
Spell??

I'm especially thankful for this year.  As some of you know, I took a decade or longer hiatus from fishing due to family stuff.  In early spring I told my wife I thought it was time to get back out there.  She agreed and was super supportive.  While I didn't fish a ton, I had some excellent trips.  I also bought a cheap kayak and enjoyed getting used to it.

One of the highlights was when my son (24 with autism) decided to give fishing a try.  A) he loves eating fish and has learned to not get angry when I throw something back and b) he told me "this is very relaxing".   This year we fished together three times.  First time in over ten years!!

I am thankful to some great friends like @Sweetwater who put me on some great fish.  Although I only fished about ten times all year, I caught my largest red drum, my largest freshwater striper, my largest pompano and some nice spotted bass and other stuff for the table.

When you've been completely away from it, the joy coming back is much like the early years.  Don't get too sucked into the quality of the fish. Enjoy the quality of the time spent.

I appreciate this site and you guys that make it awesome.

It's been a great year enjoying fishing again.

3246.jpeg

31.jpeg

IMG_20190702_152050114_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190603_194654363.jpg

1940.jpeg

23 hours ago, Thumb-Burner said:

I'm especially thankful for this year.  As some of you know, I took a decade or longer hiatus from fishing due to family stuff.  In early spring I told my wife I thought it was time to get back out there.  She agreed and was super supportive.  While I didn't fish a ton, I had some excellent trips.  I also bought a cheap kayak and enjoyed getting used to it.

One of the highlights was when my son (24 with autism) decided to give fishing a try.  A) he loves eating fish and has learned to not get angry when I throw something back and b) he told me "this is very relaxing".   This year we fished together three times.  First time in over ten years!!

I am thankful to some great friends like @Sweetwater who put me on some great fish.  Although I only fished about ten times all year, I caught my largest red drum, my largest freshwater striper, my largest pompano and some nice spotted bass and other stuff for the table.

When you've been completely away from it, the joy coming back is much like the early years.  Don't get too sucked into the quality of the fish. Enjoy the quality of the time spent.

3246.jpeg

31.jpeg

1940.jpeg

Thanks for sharing:):)

23 hours ago, Thumb-Burner said:

3246.jpeg

31.jpeg

1940.jpeg

Nice drum! It’s good to hear your experience with SOL is positive. There are a lot of good and helpful people here. I hope you and your family had a good Thanksgiving. 

One word, Tough... There were times that I found some decent fish and a few very nice fish on a handful of trips but overall it was devoid of life in the areas that I fish. Adult menhaden were nearly non existence for me most of the season and the few times I did have them within my range I can only think back to ONE outing where I was able to convert them into decent bass, let alone any bass! The lice covered early season migratory bass seem to show up later and later than usual. Resident fish were about a month late for me IMO... Patterns were inconsistent. I went 6 trips in a row without landing a bass, let alone a hit from a bass (second worst stretch I've seen). I had numerous stretches of 2-3 consecutive skunks. This might be the new norm and patterns could just be changing for LIS because each year seems to be even more inconsistent and less predictable! 

The bass that seem to be missing the most for me the past 3 seasons are the teens and 20s... Even on a slow night of not finding any large, historically I've been able to at least grind out something of legal size to save the trip. That has progressively been getting harder and harder to do!

I also took it upon myself to not take a single hero shot with a bass this season... The only fish I took out of the water were fish I was documenting for a tournament, even then I limited their time by taking a quick video of them on my bump board. Trying to do my part of reducing mortality rate when C&R!

Edited by tfucini

If I had to describe my 2019 striper season I would have to say it was good overall with excellent numbers of bass but most were 28” or under. Larger fish, ones over 20 pounds, were scarce and I had to really bust my balls to try to catch a few. There were a few big bass around on the new moon in June and I did well on two nights during that period. And on another night on the new moon in May I caught one 25 pounder.  That’s it for the big bass. I never had them again even though I tried very hard to find a few the rest of the season. This was very frustrating to me as I was unable to locate bigger fish in all the spots that have produced them during past years. In there place though were lots of schoolies. 

The 2019 season was a very consistent one. I found bass (or blues or both) almost every time out. I made over 80 trips from April 1 to Nov. 25 and can count the skunkings on one hand. The bass where every where they were supposed to be all season the only problem is that they were small. 

Highlights: 

Highlights of the past season included some of THE best top water action I have ever seen and fished. It happened during the entire month of September in Narragansett Bay. Small to medium sized blues and small bass up to 30” invaded the mid bay during the entire month. Every afternoon action would begin with hordes of bass and blues chewing up millions of peanut bunker. The bait fish were so thick that they “blackened “ large sections of the inshore waters. Action lasted for hours then slowed down as the sun went down. THE absolute best lure for these hungry fish was the Rebel Jumping Minnow. This was by far the best thing to use . I tried other stuff but the bone colored jumpin’ minnow is what they wanted. 

Another positive of 2019 were the numbers of bluefish around( at least in RI waters) . I caught more of them this year than probably the last 10 years combined. These blues were small to medium size but larger  ones over 10 pounds were scarce. 

Lowlights; 

As I mentioned earlier , big bass were pretty much none existent in the areas that I fished in RI this past season. It’s pretty sad when you fish spots that have continually produced quality stripers over the past 40 plus years and now these places only give up schoolies. 

Edited by VanStaalSteve

I am out there with the kayak pinging with side imaging. Been doing it steady since 2003. There is no mistake where the bass are.  Sometimes they eat sometimes they don't eat.  That's the game.  Everything started out normal. I exclusively toss rubber from the kayak. 
 Schoolies showed up and first 40" class showed up middle of May. June and July had some bright spots. From the 1st week of August and on the night time game had zero stability. In fact, when the bunker showed up as soon as the sun went down they came in from open water in one massive circle and then broke up into as many as 30 circles. It was insane.  No bass.... there was nothing. On nights where the bunker didn't show you may see bass.  The day time anglers occasionally found bass around the Bunker but for the most part it was a disappointment around the Boston area. For me and this is only for me, In Boston July lit up. This was mid July.  1st week of August the canal had a major push.  They were leaving.  Like they always do....the problem was it was thin to give us hardly anything worth remembering from August on in Boston.  Nothing I was use too and it didn't appear normal from what I see. Many others felt the same way.  Other folks were live lining bunker and said it was world class and some of the commercial bass folks in Boston said there was a problem. I will believe the folks who have put in their time for these critters rather than johnny come latey's. 

The Albacore and the September-October bass around Rhody bailed out my fall. Thankfully. 

E604E724-946E-4380-A02C-152193692BE5.jpeg

Edited by The Riddler

Didn't fish much this spring, but when I did, I caught quality. 

This fall were more fish, mostly small, however, I did have one banner night of 3 PB's.

Aaaaaaand.......caught me some blue dogs both spring and fall!!!!! 

I’m fairly new into fishing in general this was my 4th season into it and it was my best one yet. Beat up the bass early in the season, had a blast with the bluefish in May. Then 2 weeks in the Florida keys catching snapper, tarpon, snook and reds. Then a great fall exploring new freshwater spots in N.J. hope to get down once or twice more for the fall run. 

Spring run in the local river was poor for quality fish.A few small keeper size early on then masses of schoolies rest of the year.I fished light tackle single hook barbless soft plastics, or barbless jig heads for most of the year. From mid August on wards small/med blues joined the bass feeding on masses of peanuts.Crippled herring was the go to lure at this time. Out front same story, pockets of schoolies and small blues.

Highlight of season was when I switched over to my annual fall blackfish sessions. This fall I beat my PB 2 or 3 times, with 2 identical fish caught the same day topping the list. One of the 2 shown.

DSCF0869.JPG

DSCF0865.JPG