codfish

Year in review 2019, how was yours?

Rate this topic

87 posts in this topic

We couldnt get away from the bluefish this year.   They invaded our waters and didnt leave until the first october blow.  

ive put a ton of hours on the sand with mixed results.  Caught lots of fish but with all the hours i put in the time/value was not great.  

largest bass for me was 35”.  

the fall has been all schoolies.  And no damn albies.  The lack of inshore albies was very disappointing. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Spring river stripers sucked here, alot fewer menhaden than last year, some schools in may, one mega school in August I saw, our bluefish were weird, we caught over 300 in one day in April on top water, decent pier/beach bite early May then it pooped, left for work in late August. Friend of mine hit the river for stripers today, haven't heard anything yet. Hurricane last fall killed us, hoping it's better for next month when I hopefully get home.

Edited by Grayson

I had a pretty good year, I was able to fish often.  Stripers, lot's of small fish. But with the striper story the way it is, I'm glad in a way I didn't catch any keepers. Now, Withing, Biggest I have caught in years, Blow fish, small blues, I had some pretty good meals.:laugh:

Small Bass, tiny Fluke, lots of Blues, big ones too, less Robbins than usual, tons of Dogfish (ate my first one this year), big rays, 100+ pounds, a mix of ling, kingfish and one stargazer!  

Thankfully I enjoy just being outside, the fishing is not fantastic.

I'm a boat fisherman, so my world is a little different, but--fishing mostly on the south shore of Long Island, some in the western Sound and--for the first time in years--one weekend at Montauk, my impressions were::

Lots of rat bass, but no quality (note that I dont fish bait and my boat idles too fast to troll, so I'm strictly casting or jigging, which limits bass opportunities on the south shore).  Almost no bluefish.  Some small weakfish, with hopeful signs that we have at least two year classes in the pipeline.  Lousy fluke, lots of black sea bass with maybe a 15:1 short to keeper ratio ("keeper">16").  More ling (red hake) than usual on the wrecks.  Spectacular blowfish, nice kingfish.  Decent if unspectacular false albacore, mahi a little below par, makos well below average, fewer blue sharks than normal, sandbar (brown) sharks bouncing back, best shark of the year a 225-class thresher (released with acoustic tag).  Canyon tunas disappointing.  Bluefin were good for others, but it was mostly a dawn bite, and I don't like to run fast in the dark--just too much crap floating out there--so not a good  bluefin season for me.  No directed marlin trips.  Flounder not worth the effort, didn't make any cod or blackfish trips this year.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Best fishing day night the last few days. My body tapped out after the 3rd tide. Don't know how you older guys keep it up day after day, season after season.  Best of all, no go pro in sight. 

Edited by hobobob

1 min ago, the3fishheads said:

I am 99% diamond jig free.  Some how the tube hook always get their eye. After the 3rd weird hooked fish, I took it off, no problem catching with any other stuff on the bottom.