coastalfreak

Winter Surf Fishing: Where should I go?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Heading down to visit my grandparents around Christmas time. Looking to get some surf stuff in. They live in the Villages near Ocala, so I was wondering what beaches you guys would go to and what baits would be most effective. I have a plethora of pompano rigs and the like. I just want to catch whatever is out there. No giants needed. :) 

mixed bag up and down both coasts.

Stewart area is probably best bet for snook and trout

Redfish in sarasota

Biscayne Bay area, snook (small), bones (big), lots of bonnet head sharks lately ? 

Ocala, your best bet is to run to the Tampa area or stick to the freshwater around you.  Save time and fish local.  Tampa is probably a bit of a drive.

7 hours ago, beatonem said:

Ocala, your best bet is to run to the Tampa area or stick to the freshwater around you.  Save time and fish local.  Tampa is probably a bit of a drive.

Yup Ocala is smack dab dead central. About 90 mins either direction to coast with snowbirds around.

3 hours ago, Badtothebugs said:

Maybe try ponce inlet

I’m thinking either that or Crystal River/Cedar Key. No chance I’m going to Daytona again. Yikes.

6 hours ago, coastalfreak said:

I’m thinking either that or Crystal River/Cedar Key. No chance I’m going to Daytona again. Yikes.

Your on the right thought BUT weather can be good or bad , Crystal River is good , St Joseph Sound is good  , I plan on fishing West Central about that time .Your a Georgia guy Bass setup will be fine  Scale down your tackle for inshore , plastic swimbait slow , mirrolure suspending baits ,Doc Goofy Jigs catch  there are some inshore rivers if it gets cold and windy , Fla Lakes you need  BOAT  =  Lake Tarpon huge LM but there are public points to fish , it all depends on the weather otherwise eat drink go hear some music because sometimes you just can't fish . I know a few guides if you want to go that way.  I have a plan but things change from day to day  

On 11/20/2019 at 9:05 AM, coastalfreak said:

Heading down to visit my grandparents around Christmas time. Looking to get some surf stuff in. They live in the Villages near Ocala,

I know you said coast, but you will very close to Lake Harris chain of lakes right in the middle of bass tournament season.  Most of the boat launch parking ares were full when I went past then on Lake Harris yesterday (Sunday).

In the title you mentioned surf fishing. If you do come to the Tampa area I would not recommend fishing the gulf beaches that time of year.  Focus your efforts on the flats, creeks, rivers, lagoons etc...  Personally I would head to Sebastian Inlet or somewhere on the southeast coast.  Remember, the Atlantic Ocean water temps in central/southern  SE FL don't get as cold as the Gulf/Tampa Bay area in the winter.