Feeling bad and guilty and foolish

Rate this topic

Domjolly

Was into some great action last night with some bigger fish and schoolies. But that’s where the fun ends. Thought I had hooked a real big girl but what appeared in the wash was a smaller school or sized fish that had been foul hooked right behind the pectoral fins. Barbs were crushed and it should have been an easy release, but the waves were coming in strong and there was a large trough behind me. Really struggled to safely (for the fish and me) unhook the unlucky little dude. Was successful in the end and he swam away with vigor but some guy was silently watching me from a distance making the whole situation uncomfortable. I’m sure he couldn’t tell the fish was foul hooked from where he was, I propable just appeared to be an idiot lol. Anyway just feeling dumb and bad for the fish and the guy who had to witness this. 

On a side note most releases last night weren’t easy the waves were powerful and the trough was huge and each crashing wave flooded the area I was standing on. Now I’m starting to question my release tactics. If anyone has any suggestions on faster releases in These unique situations I’d love to hear them.

Sorry for the long post but if we can help each other help the fish it’s well worth it IMO. 

56 mins ago, FishinDVM said:

What does one consider to be "some bigger fish" these days?

25 pounds ....oh...meant to say 25 inchs......  but of course you only catch large.....

A  who cares what another fisherman thinks.  Fish the way you feel and what makes you happy.  Never judge someone until you make them your fishing friends...then it gamesmanship time.

B.  Hold the rod between your legs to control the fish.

C. Take your time as the waves recedes back to the ocean so will the fish.  Wait for it to return with the push back of the wave and grab it.

D.  Try to face the ocean to watch the waves. 

E.  This is not a fashion show and it will not look pretty in certain conditions....and stop pumping the rods like it 30 pound plus bass so the whole world knows you have a fish on.  It just a schoolie.

The amount of people I saw kicking rats/schoolies in the wash this season is crazy we've all done from time to time buttt. Plus the amount of time it took alot people to take a single hook on there diamond jig out of a non toothy fishes mouth is crazy almost as if it was like one of the first bass on the surf they ever caught. As far as your question don't think about what other people are thinking about you just get the hook out the best and fastest way you can. Be confident in your abilities.

9 hours ago, fishfinder said:

The amount of people I saw kicking rats/schoolies in the wash this season is crazy we've all done from time to time buttt. Plus the amount of time it took alot people to take a single hook on there diamond jig out of a non toothy fishes mouth is crazy almost as if it was like one of the first bass on the surf they ever caught. As far as your question don't think about what other people are thinking about you just get the hook out the best and fastest way you can. Be confident in your abilities.

I saw a guy yesterday dragging every 20” fish onto the sand to measure it then kick the fish back into the water 

7 hours ago, Justinj said:

I saw a guy yesterday dragging every 20” fish onto the sand to measure it then kick the fish back into the water 

Must've saw the same guy, dont forget the 30 pictures of the same fish he had to take. I dont understand why people have to drag every fish up the beach, especially when the water is up to your hips and they weigh 5 pounds.

3 hours ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

Must've saw the same guy, dont forget the 30 pictures of the same fish he had to take. I dont understand why people have to drag every fish up the beach, especially when the water is up to your hips and they weigh 5 pounds.

Sounds like that Fisker d-bag gloating about the baby ass fish he's catching taking millions of selfies and pictures just to post on Instagram and Facebook. Don't forget the 10 teasers over the diamond jig 

Edited by LaMadretuya

Damn

I am so uninformed and out of loop.

When I cut my very first keeper (about 2 months ago), I didn't know I have to take 30 picks and I have to call all my friends to let them know that.

Nor I knew that I had to drag it back to sand, unhooked and kick it back

Why you didn't tell me that?

Not fair.

:waah:

Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

7 hours ago, Popasilov said:

Damn

I am so uninformed and out of loop.

When I cut my very first keeper (about 2 months ago), I didn't know I have to take 30 picks and I have to call all my friends to let them know that.

Nor I knew that I had to drag it back to sand, unhooked and kick it back

Why you didn't tell me that?

Not fair.

:waah:

Gotta be in the 'In crowd"