Paul.f150

Star drag for Lami Tri Flex 7030

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Have a Lami tri flex 7030 that I use for bottom fishing and currently have a penn fathom 15 on it which I like but the reel is slightly to wide for my liking. I'm looking to take the jump into the higher tier of star drag reels but I'm really looking for one that has a smaller profile specifically having a narrower spool. Does anyone have experience fishing one of the smaller Daiwa saltigas, Shimano trinidads/ocea jiggers or Accurate Terns on a Lami triflex 7030 and can let me know what they think. Thanks in advance.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I tried Trinidad A 12, Talica 8II, Saltiga 15H, and Avet SXJ 6/4 G2 on Tri-Flex 7030. Shimanos were ultra smooth and eye candy, but Saltiga is also very smooth and Avet is built like a tank and they were the right fit for me. I take two combos for bottom fishing and that’s all I need.

Nothing against Shimanos though... At one point, I listed all the reels for sale on this forum and I kept the remaining two, because I couldn’t make the choice.

Oh, and I took a peek inside Saltiga after two seasons to look for signs of corrosion, but it looked pretty darn clean. It’s been sprayed with saltwater plenty of times. All I do is rinse it off after each trip.

Edited by digirambo

1 hour ago, Justinj said:

Used Newell 220 or saltiga 15

That's like saying 

1989 honda or a 2018 bmw.

:)

3 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

That's like saying 

I actually prefer the Newell’s over any other reel for bottom fishing. But it I tough finding them now which if I couldn’t fish a Newell the saltiga would be next on my list

19 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

That's like saying 

Either of you guys have experiencing fishing with the Saltiga 10? I tend to do most of my bottom/tog fishing in less then 150ft of water so the potentially smaller profile of the 10 is pretty appealing to me.

15 mins ago, Justinj said:

I actually prefer the Newell’s over any other reel for bottom fishing. But it I tough finding them now which if I couldn’t fish a Newell the saltiga would be next on my list

I always found that interesting the fondness people have for newells.  I had one in rotation for a bit...worked on a bunch...But found it to be nothing special with a crappy drag.    And considering they can get up there in price...The only thing they're better at is nostalgia.  

1 min ago, scoobydoo said:

I always found that interesting the fondness people have for newells.  I had one in rotation for a bit...worked on a bunch...But found it to be nothing special with a crappy drag.    And considering they can get up there in price...The only thing they're better at is nostalgia.  

The price of replacement parts are through the roof. 

16 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

They seemed a lot better when the competing product was a Penn Squidder. But they are junk compared to what is available now.

S'funny about the Newells. When they first appeared, there was a lot of excitement because the 2xx and 3xx reels offered (in effect) a Squidder size body with a Jigmaster size drag. YAAAAY!

My current Newells are in relative disuse. I like my Saltiga 35H for blackfish, seabass, cod, whatever. I'd be perfectly happy to try it on smaller tuna, too.  That said, I did get my first tuna (75 lb) on a Newell 344, a million years ago, which had the stock Newell drag. Nowadays all of them have Penn HT-100 washers.  And a gent known as Reel-Man on another board reworked a 540 into a thing of beauty, bored out this and twiddled that and got additional drag washers into the assembly.  The thief who took it has a very, very nice reel. 

It had a 3.6 to 1 gear ratio. Nice and low, for getting a tuna out of its' spiral and onto the deck. 

8 hours ago, Paul.f150 said:

Either of you guys have experiencing fishing with the Saltiga 10? I tend to do most of my bottom/tog fishing in less then 150ft of water so the potentially smaller profile of the 10 is pretty appealing to me.

Saltiga 10 and 15 are two of the smoothest reels I’ve fished. Very well made. Drag doesn’t slip as much as the Trinidad. And if you’re looking at the saltiga 10 JDM, the clicking drag is a nice feature. The low gear is great. 

I stick with the trinidad because it’s overbuilt and in my eyes it’s built better than all of them. 

Also had a certain shop owner tell me that the Saltiga’s have an issue where people are engaging the spool lock and it’s flexing the spindle due to too much pressure. Apparently it’s not as thick as the trinidad’s?

I have no idea if that’s true. @scoobydoo

But for the price, that Saltiga JDM 10 is a great reel.  

I currently fish a Saltiga 15 on a Triflex BL7030. If I had to choose again I would go with the narrower spool of the Saltiga 10. Most of my fishing is done in less than 120 feet of water.