DragonsLax48

Lets Talk Chunkin

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

55 mins ago, DragonsLax48 said:

Whats more important with weight selection? light weights let you feel the soft bites and the fish dont feel the weight when they run off with your chunk but your rig may roll or slide around. Do you want your conventional rig pinned to the bottom?

With braid you probably wont have a hard time feeling soft taps with heavy weights on a slide.  I generally try to use as light of a weight as I can get away with. That could be weightless-1 oz in really slow water to 5 oz in the shrewsbury river at full moving tide.

On 11/28/2019 at 3:23 PM, hurricane1091 said:

I like to reel my rods in periodically to find the zone. I always mess with presentation and stuff as well. I think doing nothing is a bad idea but I'm also spiking so that might not be great either? I like spikes though since I can throw out different baits and dial in on the right one but if it's causing me to miss bites I'd have to rethink it.

I use a Penn Live Liner SpinFisher 

it’s great for chunking, clamming. 
spike all the time 

read up on it. 
u won’t go back to any other sys. 

6 mins ago, bbfish said:

With braid you probably wont have a hard time feeling soft taps with heavy weights on a slide.  I generally try to use as light of a weight as I can get away with. That could be weightless-1 oz in really slow water to 5 oz in the shrewsbury river at full moving tide.

Good insight.. It sounds like you are using lighter weight than I am. Are you referring to chunking from the boat? Im using 8 in the river in most cases besides slack and generally 3-4 oz on calm nights off the beach. Havent chunked the heavy surf yet since I dont have the gear for it.

I'm talking about fishing from land.  I've generally chunked the bay and river because thats where I consistently can find bunker.  I havent fished bait out front in a long time, but realistically shouldnt be much different.  The one peice of advice when fishing in waves is keep your rod tip up high, the less slack in the water the less your bait will move.