Tomm24

Whales on Bunker

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

So if you are in a school of bunker with a humpback actively feeding do you leave since it will scare the bass away? I was in a huge school two weeks ago with one feeding and got nothing but dogfish.

I should say I saw no marks that looked like bass under the bunker. But in a thick school of bunker my finder doesn't show anything under them.

Edited by Tomm24

I’ve caught tons of bass right next to whales feeding on bunker, but then again I’m talking jersey, where we would mug the Pope if he was on bass.

Edited by Jason B

Constant where I am in the summer. You absolutely back off. Way off. Hook one and your looking at a six figure fine, plus their safety is more important than a few fish landed. Usually bass would stick around though, don’t think they are scared. This wheels had a chunk missing. I assume prop.

0E9E756B-E989-47C9-B16E-65DDC596E2B1.png

Edited by fvgourami3

5 mins ago, Goldy said:

Do you think the whale will take one of those expensive GRS plugs?  What should my drag be set at?

Well are you using a black hole two piece fused with apoxee

2 mins ago, Wire For Fire said:

Well are you using a black hole two piece fused with apoxee

Yes my black hole striper surf 10’ should do the trick

11 hours ago, Jason B said:

I’ve caught tons of bass right next to whales feeding on bunker, but then again I’m talking jersey, where we would mug the Pope if he was on bass.

Someone more knowledgable please check me, but I don't think the whales were actually eating the bunker.

As large as they are, my understanding is whales eat krill and small stuff.   Thus, with Bunker as filter feeders, I would guess they were all feeding on the same small ****.  But again, if there's a marine biologist here...

Screen Shot 2019-11-19 at 8.16.29 AM.png

10 mins ago, MaxKatt said:

Someone more knowledgable please check me, but I don't think the whales were actually eating the bunker.

As large as they are, my understanding is whales eat krill and small stuff.   Thus, with Bunker as filter feeders, I would guess they were all feeding on the same small ****.  But again, if there's a marine biologist here...

Screen Shot 2019-11-19 at 8.16.29 AM.png

Not all whales are filter feeders. Most eat fish, like bunker.

Law of the ocean:  Anything you can swallow is food.  Baleen whales attack large schools of anything from small krill and bay anchovies, to squid to larger fish like menhaden.  In doing so they ingest hundreds of gallons of seawater into their gullets along with their prey.  Then they gurp out the seawater and the baleen captures the food.  That story about Jonah may have contained an element of truth.