ASrod

Surf Fishing in January/February?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Would the general area of OBX or anywhere in North Carolina be worth the drive to try to catch some stripers or basically anything else around January or February? Don’t think I’ll be able to last a winter here in Maryland without fishing at least a few times :eek: 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I've heard that after the Holidays and the transitional storms have passed thru ....on occasion specks and puppy drum can be had on light tackle and lures when the wind and water temps are just right. 

Edited by dixiekraut

2 hours ago, cbinvb said:

Go to assateague and cast into the breakers in front of the camping areas for flounder.  Use a 1/2 oz jig head with 4 in curly tail gulp.  

That’s quite a drive for flounder... I was looking in to chasing the striper migration or at least something big without driving all the way to FL.

Ocean stripers haven`t made their way down to NC in any number for quite a few years.  January used to be prime for them 15 years ago but not anymore.  

On 11/18/2019 at 6:18 PM, ASrod said:

at least something big without driving all the way to FL.

Huge blue cats all over the upper bay with a bunker chunk. SPSP, RPSP, Sus if you wanna drive. I harvest them between 3-10 lbs.  

Related to this topic, what is March like?  I know that April can bring pretty good drum runs, I'll be heading to Buxton in March, but haven't been there in March before.

On 11/18/2019 at 11:06 AM, ASrod said:

Would the general area of OBX or anywhere in North Carolina be worth the drive to try to catch some stripers or basically anything else around January or February? Don’t think I’ll be able to last a winter here in Maryland without fishing at least a few times :eek: 

On 11/21/2019 at 2:27 PM, johnbull said:

Related to this topic, what is March like?  I know that April can bring pretty good drum runs, I'll be heading to Buxton in March, but haven't been there in March before.

Ocracoke. Feb and March are my favorite months, and Jan can be pretty good. You need a couple days of warm weather and SE winds. And keep in mind that "warm" weather is rarely warm, the wind always howls, but you'll have miles of beach all to yourself.

The pictures below were both from February.

There are no bass, out of dozens of weeks during the past 15 years, I've caught two, and one of them was 12".  But there are puppy drum in the 18 to 35 inch range and the occasional black drum. If you want pullage, sharks in the 4 - 10 ft range are common, often way too common. 

Don't get me wrong, it's not October fishing and you'll spend many days struggling for a bite. But when it's hot, it's hot. 

I was down for two weeks in Feb of this year and a buddy and I found a hole that was just loaded with puppy drum. It was bitter cold and the wind was howling, but we both had several 30 drum days. One key is to keep moving until you find them, it seems they tend to congregate in one or two holes along miles of otherwise void beach..

winter drum.JPG

winterdrum2.JPG