Need a Cart for the Beach? Good Deal?

Rate this topic

JoeyZac

17 hours ago, JoeyZac said:

As far as I can see, this seems to be a really good deal at almost 50% off, but I don't know much about carts, so those who do will have to verify...........

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072JJKK8F/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?tag=slicinc-20&ascsubtag=20bf0fd409ba11ea941dee7b3f3e8d1f0INT&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Image result for Gorilla Carts GCO-5FSH Poly Bed Fish & Marine Cart 200 lb Capacity, Gray

I know two guys that have this exact cart. I did a thorough inspection and even got to pull one through the sand.

Pros: every part, breaks down and can fit in the tub, save the aluminum tube frame directly underneath. Can fit in a smalk trunk. Tub and frame seems to be very well built.

Cons: doesnt haul that much volume in the tub. I would guess a 48 quart cooler would pretty much max out the space. Umbrells, chairs, etc have to be lashed/strapped over the cooler. Tow handle has a very tight tolerance where it slides into tube underneath and tends to become stubborn sliding in and out. 

While the wheels are not ballon tires, they are quite wide and pull easily through even soft sand as long as you dont overload. Obviously, ballon tires would bemuch easier to pull, but you will spend more on the tires than on this whole cart. I would say as long as you are not planning on pulling more than 80-100 lbs, it should work pretty well in the sand. It pulls a lot better than my current cart with (4) 13×6 pnuematic tires.

I even mentioned that this would be my replacement cart once mine bit the dust. Fortunately, or unfortunately, my current cart has lots of life left in it. Otherwise I would jump on this deal.

for 80 dollars you would be hard pressed to build it as cheaply....buy it and as others have suggested get some baloon tires and retro fit them to be interchangeable with the original ones...that way you have the choice of wheels based on fishing location....good luck..

8 hours ago, Belmo said:

I built this last winter. It works great, and can carry a ton of heavy gear, even over soft sand, but I already want to do another one that's smaller, and designed just for fishing (this one does double duty as a wagon for beach gear). 

20190413_150933.jpg.9bdc11798569e925fbb65c183ae5c0b7.jpg

Do the front wheels pivot ?  

If it has fins i want to catch it 

10 hours ago, SandSpike1 said:

fish-n-mate-front-wheel-525_2000x.jpg?v=

I had the anglers fish N mate with the wheel eez. It worked fine.

The axle runs  through welded rings and from there you have pins

to keep everything in place. At times you'll find yourself dragging

it. To make a long story short. The axel isn't secured. It just rolls

on the rings. Can you tell the difference. ;)

fishnmate-jr-balloon-tire-cart.jpeg?v=15

I have that one, the large one, works great. Only thing I would add is a mini fat tire for the front, under the handle. The wheel they sell shown above will not slide over sand, it is there to hold up the front end or to use on piers. 

I have seen guys convert other types of wagons for the beach using fat tires off of kid's motorized or leg-powered cars or buggies. Salvaged from the dump or one's own garage, they "float" better than those skinny tires but not as well as the balloons. 

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson 

11 hours ago, ccb said:

They should make one that has interchangeable wheels.  Hard and soft. On the pull handle they should put a lock on the pivot so the handle could go up or down and lock  Then have a seat that folds down , so you could sit on it.  Or make the front of the cart like a tailgater on a truck, so you could sit on it , once you get to your location.  

They do, the anglers fish n mate cart, except the orange wheels alone cost as much as the whole cart and original wheels