Frede

I jumped in and have a question

37 posts in this topic

Picked up my 1st fishing kayak yesterday.....it's pedal.  When I find a grand for gear I'll start slowly out back in IBSP.  The goal is stripers so cold water thus the grand.  Does anybody from our area know of training, e.g. cold water re-entry/self rescue techniques etc?

 

With due respect please save the "man up, we learned ourselves so figure it out" comments....I'm just trying to not die here.      

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

The drysuit would be step one but it seems like you already know that. Practice re-entry on a calm day in a safe place. Having a friend around will add comfort. The suit kinda makes you feel like your in a ziplock bag when you're in the water, so it'll feel different than if you practiced re-entry in warmer weather. 

Edited by EricM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You just have to go out there in a pond, lake, or calm salt water area and do some self rescue practicing. Maybe you can find someone to join you. I would do an entry from the bow, stern and sides and know how the kayak will react. If you have a drive that is not a mirage drive?  Leave it on the shore when flipping it over.....because those drives are not guaranteed to stay dry.  Save yourself the hassle.

 

You're gonna need some clothing. We need to know what you have from surfcasting. It appears you have stocking foot waders in the photo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome...... most here aren't disrespectful,  we pretty much have a decent,  knowledge,  bunch that are always willing to pass their experiences along.....

 

As far as learning self rescues now,  imo, it's the eleventh hour of the season,  waters dangerously cold in the back bays,  ocean is playing catch up every day,  if it were me, I'd get all my gear together over the off season & get right into it in the spring......

 

you mentioned a budget & eventually getting gear,  this time of year is no time to compromise... it could cost you your life...

 

You look like  a surf guy,  plenty of stripers running the beach to finish off your season...Kayaking weather is  hit or miss this time of year anyway...

 

I hit the beach almost daily when i cant get out in the kayak & get my fix that way instead.....

 

Regards......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Designate one side of kayak for reentry and dont clutter it.

 

Train to right the kayak. Righting strap might be required.

 

Quality PFD is about $100. I went with autoinflate, those go on sale for less than $100. Thin & light and might save the day when a drunk boater runs over you :)

 

Be patient and you should be able to score most excellent  Stohlquist EZ dry suit for about $300, go for bright orange. Will most likely have to trim cuff and neck gaskets.

 

Uniden makes nice waterproof radios. Leash that, a dive knife, and a whistle to your PFD.

 

Get oversized Mares 3-5mm diver ankle boot, 2 sizes big, so you can wear 2-3 thick socks and not restrict blood flow in your feet. $15 on amazon

 

Costco for thermals and HEAT fleece jacket, $60 total spend for 2 pants, 2 long sleeves and jacket . Walmart for HEAVY fleece pants ($16). 

 

"2-Pieces Winter Beanie Hat Scarf Set Warm Knit Hat Thick Fleece Lined Skull Cap for Men Women Black". Gotta keep the neck area warm and block the wind from getting to your ears. $14 on amazon

 

Practice using relief zipper on the dry suit. Thermal pants + heavy fleece pants. Thermal top (or 2) + heavy HEAT fleece jacket go OVER the pants (dont tack them in, hard to disentangle the layers when you need to go !)

 

Wait for quiet day to train reentry and righting if you wan to do it this season. There WILL be 55F calm days ahead.

Edited by r111

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the ‘basic mechanics’ of re-entry you could get a head start in an indoor pool. Or if you travel this winter to a warm destination where kayaks are available, give it a go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With a new yak, you’re probably itching to go out, but personally I’d save the reentry practice for warmer weather. Then, once you have the basics down, you can try it in colder water. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, EricM said:

The drysuit would be step one but it seems like you already know that. Practice re-entry on a calm day in a safe place. Having a friend around will add comfort. The suit kinda makes you feel like your in a ziplock bag when you're in the water, so it'll feel different than if you practiced re-entry in warmer weather. 

Thx Eric I appreciate the suggestions and yeah drysuit or pants w/ socks w/ top is what I figure is next.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Keep in mind these are all paddle kayaks in the video. It is a little more difficult to self rescue with a pedal drive kayak. You have less free space on the deck to climb back in with a pedal drive  installed. Also notice how the younger , fitter people easily climb back in while the older heavier people tend to struggle more.  It is a great idea to practice in warm weather with out any gear. Also notice nobody has anything attached to their pfd like a knife, a whistle , or a vhf radio these will all complicate the self rescue. Also if you weigh down your pfd with lures in your pockets this can complicate the reentry by adding weight to your body and or hooks that may penetrate your skin. Good luck and be safe and bring a pump with you  in case your hull fills up with water. Should have been mentioned in the video. Monmouth count parks  offers some entry level kayak class's. Not geared for fisherman. Also some sea kayak clubs have pool sessions like the one in the video to practice self rescues. JSSKA is one of those  clubs.   Also the kayak in the video are long and thin and fairly light weight. The wider and heavier your kayak is the more complicated the self rescue can be.  Also keep in mind if you climb back in  your kayak with your weight on your paddle you could break your paddle. Especially if you have a nice carbon fiber paddle. 

Edited by dbjpb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, The Riddler said:

You just have to go out there in a pond, lake, or calm salt water area and do some self rescue practicing. Maybe you can find someone to join you. I would do an entry from the bow, stern and sides and know how the kayak will react. If you have a drive that is not a mirage drive?  Leave it on the shore when flipping it over.....because those drives are not guaranteed to stay dry.  Save yourself the hassle.

 

You're gonna need some clothing. We need to know what you have from surfcasting. It appears you have stocking foot waders in the photo.

Thanks.  All sides re-entry is not something I thought of but makes good sense.  Yeah, mirage drive.  I'm wearing boot/neos there but if I go wader/drytop I'd do stocking which I believe you and others suggest.  Read a ton of what you guys posted on the subject.....differing opinions and I've taken them all in.  At this point I plan on fishing the bay....*maybe* never the ocean.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, BillZ said:

Welcome...... most here aren't disrespectful,  we pretty much have a decent,  knowledge,  bunch that are always willing to pass their experiences along.....

 

As far as learning self rescues now,  imo, it's the eleventh hour of the season,  waters dangerously cold in the back bays,  ocean is playing catch up every day,  if it were me, I'd get all my gear together over the off season & get right into it in the spring......

 

you mentioned a budget & eventually getting gear,  this time of year is no time to compromise... it could cost you your life...

 

You look like  a surf guy,  plenty of stripers running the beach to finish off your season...Kayaking weather is  hit or miss this time of year anyway...

 

I hit the beach almost daily when i cant get out in the kayak & get my fix that way instead.....

 

Regards......

Thanks Bill.  Yeah surf guy for 40+ years along with boating.  The risks I took in my younger days gave me a tremendous amount of respect for the ocean/bay.  I should have mentioned spring is when I want to begin.  At any rate your advice is solid and I thank you for it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you do wait until after winter, be careful of the warm days in March and April.  Those are probably the most dangerous months of the year, because the water is often frigid while the air temperatures are deceivingly high.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 mins ago, r111 said:

^^^ that's when many a shorts+T-wearing overconfident  young buck went for their 1st and last kayak trip, may they all RIP.

That was me ten years ago trying to get under a low bridge on a raging river hours after a 7” rainstorm. I was not new to yak fishing, just being ignorant trying to fish opening day. Being unprepared and saving a cheap Dicks kayak almost cost me my life. My arms and legs were like dead fish. When some feeling came back to my extremities running in place and sit-ups in the bright sun got me through enough empty the yak and get back to my car. I had an ice cream headache for days. Search “Dumped yak, took a long cold swim”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.