Silver Stoat

Son with his first steelhead

14 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I guess this falls squarely in the "proud dad" section, but seeing my youngest (12) get his first chrome on the Salmon River last week was inspiration to me. Please forgive the share. (And PS, I didn't manage a single fish to the net - all fish hooked were too hot to handle - such was the perfection of this trip.)

Edited by scoobydoo

On 11/17/2019 at 5:38 PM, Silver Stoat said:

I guess this falls squarely in the "proud dad" section, but seeing my youngest (12) get his first chrome on the Salmon River last week was inspiration to me. Please forgive the share. (And PS, I didn't manage a single fish to the net - all fish hooked were too hot to handle - such was the perfection of this trip.)

Very cool ...congrats pops !!!      I'm working with the grandkids getting the line tight  Hope one day your blessed  thanks for sharing , 

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 11/17/2019 at 5:38 PM, Silver Stoat said:

Congrats on your sons first rocket!!  Them suckers are crazy.  

looks like he had a helluva time!  And some great memories!

At the 50 second mark....in January when I used to go up there..I'd hide and throw snowballs from the top of the ridge :)  It's a long way down lol  

Pretty good pool

Did you film the trip in 4:3 or was did the editor crop it.  

Edited by scoobydoo

Thanks everyone for kind words. It was a banner day for us both, for sure. When we got back to the cabin after the float, around lunchtime, the snow was coming on heavy. My lad insisted we walk back to the river for a few afternoon hours (the last still in the video of him casting into the snow.)

Scoobydoo - Funny thing happened at your snowball spot the day before our float. My son and I were walking the long walk around from the lower river when we noticed an SUV behaving strangely. A woman got out half way down the track and started to walk slowly behind us holding a camera. Hand-made signs had been put at increments of every 6th tree or so along the walk - none made sense to us. When we got to the parking lot two men were standing under a tree as if in ambush. I didn't like the look of any of it and we got to our car and started to tackle down quick smart. The woman was now crouching behind a tree. All very odd. And then a young couple emerged along the track, he got down on one knee, and the rest (as they say) is history! We made our congratulations on the drive out. The end to a good day.

I was using a GoPro 7 for the first time and edited using Adobe Premiere Pro, again for the first time (the leap from Final Cut was pretty steep.) I don't know why the camera was set to 4:3 but it was too late by the time I noticed!

Thank you for this video. It brings back memories of fishing with my Dad.  Get a kid fishing by age ten and they will fish the rest of their lives.

God Bless

Great story, something you son will remember always. My first steelhead was 60 years ảgo almost, I remember everything, the lure used, rod and reel used, and I can still take you to the exact spot.