Surfrat815

Fast action rod with treble hooked baits?

6 posts in this topic

Just picked up a new rod for throwing big swimbaits for bass. I can already tell it's got a ton of power, but it has a very stiff tip and I'm afraid it might pull hooks on a fish if I'm throwing a treble hooked bait. I'm thinking if I use mono, it might absorb some of the shock from the fish's headshakes. What do you guys think?

16 hours ago, Surfrat815 said:

Just picked up a new rod for throwing big swimbaits for bass. I can already tell it's got a ton of power, but it has a very stiff tip and I'm afraid it might pull hooks on a fish if I'm throwing a treble hooked bait. I'm thinking if I use mono, it might absorb some of the shock from the fish's headshakes. What do you guys think?

It sounds less than ideal for treble hooks. And mono would probably be a pretty good answer but it would probably hurt you on jig hooked baits. 

Is it a swimbait rod? 

I just got into swimbait fishing about this time last year. I wasn't sure I'd stick with it ( I have. And I'm guessing you will too. ) and I'm stuck on the bank so I needed one rod that could handle a pretty good array of baits as well as baits with trebles and jig hooks. Through some research and recommendations I ended up with the Dobyns Champion XP 795. It has worked out very well. It is probably a little soft for jig hooked baits, especially 8 inch Hudds and things of that nature, but for smaller jig hooks it is ok and for trebles it has been terrific. 

Yeah I have a dobyns 806 but I wouldnt throw more than like 3-4 ounces with it. This one is a LDC XH and I'd like to be able to throw bigger hard baits with it. I'll try it with the mono and see what happens. But good to see there's another swimbait guy on here though! Lol 

19 hours ago, Surfrat815 said:

Yeah I have a dobyns 806 but I wouldnt throw more than like 3-4 ounces with it. This one is a LDC XH and I'd like to be able to throw bigger hard baits with it. I'll try it with the mono and see what happens. But good to see there's another swimbait guy on here though! Lol 

I'd imagine there is a few of us!

Good luck!

You have the option of replacing the trebles with single hooks, I've done this on hard jerkbaits and a few crankbaits, mostly to help prevent hanging up but I haven't noticed a significant difference in hook-ups or landing fish. I prefer a softer tip but since you don't have that option, mono would be a good place to start. It's also possible the you could be surprised by the rod's performance and don't need to change anything. By the way, chunking heavy swimbaits all day is work, hope your forearms and wrists are up to the task.

You've hit the nail on the head, rod action really has nothing to do with whether or not you can use treble hooks, the rods intrinsic power does. It doesn't make it as easy to wrap around your head as a basic statement that covers every situation does. If you have flexed a rod with the same power deeply, it will have the same basic parabolic shape regardless of action, the rod will be bent into the butt and the tip will be pointing towards the load in a pretty straight fashion, again regardless of action.

For decades now X Fast blanks have been used for crankbaits, this was necessary because a rod of that action has a softer tip that telegraphs plug fouling and maximizes plug side to side movement as the tip dips toward the plug when the plug is at it's maximum right, or left swing. A stiffer tipped rod will change the wobble by as much as 5 to 10 degrees and speed up it's wobble because of it. Something the fish and the plugs designers don't appreciate, when it comes time to decide whether or not you want to continue using that technique. 

Remember I said X Fast rods have softer tips, all thing being equal. When a manufacturer keep the tip power the same, than boosts the butt's power, we get the same action, but a rod that comes into the power sooner, which makes the statements we've all heard seems true, even though your not using the same values and criteria for your statement.