Glove help, Frozen fingers!

Rate this topic

Domjolly

Lately between the dropping temps and wind my fingers are freezing to the point I have to end my sessions early. It’s just a fingers issue as the rest of me is comfortable. I’ve tried a few different gloves (work gloves and cotton gloves) anything else I’ve been hesitant to try due to my casting finger being unable to feel the line. What do you guys do?

ps. Surf casting at night. 

I have fished well into December using waterproof "ice bay glacier gloves" 

20$, truly waterproof due to the "skin"  only issue is that braid cuts into the fingertip

and shreds it, so you need to tape it early, or add some aqua seal or goop. its not ideal 

but these are very helpful.  I also put hand warmer packs against my palm inside the glove.

the heat radiates and keeps hands warm longer... (also toe warmer packs)

The second cotton gets wet it actually makes you colder, would be better off with no gloves than cotton gloves. I use fingerless wool gloves most of the time. Wool insulates while wet. If I'm going to get soaked I use the glacier gloves pistol Pete cited above. However, neoprene does not insulate that well if not submerged, but still a lot better than cotton.

Edited by C.Robin

1 hour ago, Pistol Pete said:

I have fished well into December using waterproof "ice bay glacier gloves" 

20$, truly waterproof due to the "skin"  only issue is that braid cuts into the fingertip

and shreds it, so you need to tape it early, or add some aqua seal or goop. its not ideal 

but these are very helpful.  I also put hand warmer packs against my palm inside the glove.

the heat radiates and keeps hands warm longer... (also toe warmer packs)

+1 on these gloves, theyre affordable & they get the job done ...... i paint plasti dip on the tip of the casting finger right out of the package......

20191117_194911.jpg.361d6dd273abcaeb108651c3aa0ec5c9.jpg

They all suck, I've used the glacier gloves, the kast gear steelheader gloves, and everything in-between. Soon as you get them wet which is inevitable surf fishing they all become useless. The wool gloves with a hand warmer in the wrist area is the best bet, but your hands are still going to get cold eventually and they are hook magnets. 

Keep your core temp up and that will help your hands. (I always heard and believed this point but didn’t actually take concerted efforts to make it happen.)

Tear open a pack of hand or foot warmers. They heat up once exposed to oxygen. Cut with knife or scissors. Pour some of the granules into your gloves or socks and that’ll work for roughly 3.5 hours. 

make sure your gloves have a loose fit. In the cold, with your outermost extremities, even a slightly tight fit will cut off enough blood flow to give me chills. Ymmv

* most importantly *

Whatever you choose, keep several pairs of gloves dry & warm tucked inside the bibs part of your chest waders. Rotate often. Use minimum of three pairs. 

Sometimes, I’ll use three pairs of the naphthalene coated work gloves from big box stores. Or vinyl. Keep your hands dry and it’s most of the problem solved. 

1.  Any of the above mentioned glove options as described above, and per your personal preference.

2.  PLUS:  Carry along a small, tent Coleman type piezo heater that runs on a single quart sized fuel cylinder.  You can carry it around in a 5 G. bucket-- lit and hot.  Yeah, this slows you down as per portability along the beach. Nothing short of FIRE level of heat can restore your fingers when you are in the field ... from wet to dry, for fish handling, knot tying, casting level of function, and temporary comfort.  Your 5 G. bucket should also include baby powder, and a nice dry towel.