Surfjones

Thoughts on line twist

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just wanted to see everyone’s general opinion on this. My basic setup is generally 30lbs braid connected to 50lbs fluoro leader via a fg knot. I fish bucktails predominantly but this season the diamond jig has been so productive I find myself using it exclusively on these late fall trips. Does anyone care much about line twist while tying direct? On my light tackle setup I have a swivel connecting line and leader and I’m not really sure if this even cuts down on line twist while fishing diamonds from the beach. I’ve heard people get really concerned about This and some that don’t feel it’s a big deal on braid bc it inherently twist on a spinning reel anyway. Thoughts and opinions? 

Edited by Surfjones

When I first started fishing Slug-gos I found that I was getting a lot of line twist so I introduced a quality ball bearing swivel between braid running line and mono leader and this eliminated most if not all of the line twist.

I generally stayed away from swivels from fear of damaging my guide when fishing at night but I think when fishing a diamond jig and other types of lure that are spin prone it’s definitely helpful.  I’m really not sure if line twist is really a big deal when fishing braided line. 

A swivel will eliminate line twist. And to protect the top eye from the swivel I use a cutoff piece of a rubber grub that a Blue fish chopped the tail off of as a bumper... 

41 mins ago, Surfjones said:

I generally stayed away from swivels from fear of damaging my guide when fishing at night but I think when fishing a diamond jig and other types of lure that are spin prone it’s definitely helpful.  I’m really not sure if line twist is really a big deal when fishing braided line. 

put big beed in front swivel.

The bead thing never worked for me. More tangle, reduce distance, casting anomalies because the beads is free to slide up and down your line.  Works in theory, but not quite the same in real life.

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 hours ago, sytheteacher said:

A swivel will eliminate line twist. And to protect the top eye from the swivel I use a cutoff piece of a rubber grub that a Blue fish chopped the tail off of as a bumper... 

not really I’ve been fishing diamond jigs and bucktails during the day pretty much exclusively this fall and the braid still has a “twisted” look to it. Hasn’t caused me any problems but the twist is still there 

Edited by Justinj

I don't normally throw metal but,with mono twist,,, it's a PITA.

that's one of the reasons I switched to casting reels no more twist and even when I did use spinners[many years ago],there was always a BB swivel tied on to keep it at bay which worked well.

now,i don't even use barrels sometimes,i now use a forged stainless 6mm ring to tie leader to line.

HH 

Not sure why everyone throws the swivel between braid and leader...

I use an fg for braid to flouro.  Then the swivel goes on my lure itself.. infact most of my lures have the swivel on them already in my bag.. I have never experienced and issue from this rigging and I have zero twist issues.  

20190324_212320.jpg.91edafa09fb4f5373d29e9f5f2bf3f3c.jpg20190323_233757.jpg.5a425594dda3d07858e32b064168610c.jpg20190318_235542.jpg.0aefbadf906145c8afd85f12ca9f6238.jpg20190324_212051.jpg.b4719d9aef5d2e32869d5cc1cf4948b6.jpg

5 hours ago, Beachglass Guru said:

I use an fg for braid to flouro.  Then the swivel goes on my lure itself.. infact most of my lures have the swivel on them already in my bag.. I have never experienced and issue from this rigging and I have zero twist issues.  

I've thought about doing this for diamond jigs and others that are prone to spin, but I see no reason to do it with any type of swimming plug. But if it works for you then keep on it. Maybe I'll give it a try. Does it make it difficult to put a clip on in the dark? I don't use split rings on my plugs because of that. Also, what popper is that?

4 hours ago, chitala383 said:

Does it make it difficult to put a clip on in the dark? I don't use split rings on my plugs because of that. Also, what popper is that?

It makes attaching a clip easier.. 

It's a pop orca