Domjolly

Shad schools in the surf, does this indicate?..

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

On my last outing out front SS during the middle of the night. I was hooking a bunch of shad on my teaser mostly in the foot long range. Dropped a couple bass as well.
Are These shad essentially large baitfish/forage for bass?

I took it as an indicator that there was smaller bait around hence them eating my teaser. Then I got to thinking are they also bait?

Often times bigger teen an 20lb class fish will linger around the shad, late tides offers a better chance at connecting.  No saying weather or not that's currently the case though, might just be small class fish feeding with shad in the small bait.  Only way to know is to throw larger profiles like bottle plugs or darters and subtract the teaser.  You might go fishless or might hook your best fish of the year, one can only catch so many 26" fish.....

2 hours ago, DeepBlue85 said:

Often times bigger teen an 20lb class fish will linger around the shad, late tides offers a better chance at connecting.  No saying weather or not that's currently the case though, might just be small class fish feeding with shad in the small bait.  Only way to know is to throw larger profiles like bottle plugs or darters and subtract the teaser.  You might go fishless or might hook your best fish of the year, one can only catch so many 26" fish.....

That sounds like an excellent option. My thinking was right along the lines of this...what do I have in the bag that comes close to matching one of these shads. I hear that I’ve caught tons of 24-26”ers this season. 

3 hours ago, Domjolly said:

On my last outing out front SS during the middle of the night. I was hooking a bunch of shad on my teaser mostly in the foot long range. Dropped a couple bass as well.
Are These shad essentially large baitfish/forage for bass?

I took it as an indicator that there was smaller bait around hence them eating my teaser. Then I got to thinking are they also bait?

Live line or chunk one to find out.  You may be pleasantly surprised...

Posted (edited) · Report post

Common occurance this time of year along the beaches...In my experience ive never witnessed a shad bite and ive run into them probably over 100 times over the years..Why???I dont know...Ive seen blitzes on Herring,Bunker,Squid,Sand Eels,Spearing,Peanut Bunker,Worms,Rainbait,Clams,but never on shad...There never seems to be any fish near or around the shad schools and if there is there not intrested.

Edited by IslandSurf

I would definitely give live lining a shot if the conditions permit. 2 hooks in-line top hook in between dorsal and tail bottom hook in the snout so its swimming away from you

Might just end up being a long soak but i find live lining fun even nothing bites.... always feels like any second a 50lber is going to rip the rod out of your hands

I would also bring a lighter spinning or fly set up and throw some shad darts or small cast masters and have some fun with these “mini Tarpon“ . Shad fight great on ultra light gear, jump out of the water etc. 

44 mins ago, carznfish said:

I would definitely give live lining a shot if the conditions permit. 2 hooks in-line top hook in between dorsal and tail bottom hook in the snout so its swimming away from you

Might just end up being a long soak but i find live lining fun even nothing bites.... always feels like any second a 50lber is going to rip the rod out of your hands

Not much of a bait guy. But I’m sure live lining would be pretty cool. Would def be a change of pace for me. I might have to give it a try if I find myself in this situation again. 

33 mins ago, Stripsettter said:

I would also bring a lighter spinning or fly set up and throw some shad darts or small cast masters and have some fun with these “mini Tarpon“ . Shad fight great on ultra light gear, jump out of the water etc. 

they certainly seem like a fun fish to catch. Even with my reg surf setup for bass and blues they fought pretty good.  That’s saying a lot considering it’s 10ft med/heavy rod with a 704 strapped to it. 

Last year I got into huge schools of shad a few times, and they were all cocktail blue size. While I'm sure there are bass around that can take down that size, it would take a truly big girl. 

For the most part haven't done well with bass when shad are present .I have chunked them for the same result.one night using fresh shad chunks didn't get a nib a buddy shows up with frozen spot first cast bam bluefish after bluefish.by bridges in my area there were years they were loaded with shad would catch them and dropping them down live for notta even guys using lead heads nodda but on the side where no shad were present there was fish hmmm. Seems crazy to me because they look like they would be the best cow bait.

Stayed on the beach at the Royal Titanic in M for the first week of November. Watched the Gannets dive bombing a couple hundred yards out the whole time.

Think they were on the shad too?