hunter123

My tog setup

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I have caught tog from boats using conventional tackle. But I like trying from the rocks better, sold the boat. I now use a 9' whupping stick ,don't know the rating from Cabel's. Reel is a Penn 750 SS with 40# mono. I get bites but no fish. I lose rigs,but that's the name of the game. I guy convinced me to switch to 60# braid with a 60# floro leader. 

1) would this rod be good enough or should I get a better rod.

2) is the 750 SS ok for braid, I don't have to cast to far from the jetty.

So I'm open for advice. I'm going to catch a tog as a priority. Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Search the Bottom Fishing Forum. Or stop in there.

Thanks Mike, I have rods and reels for a boat. I'm looking more to fishing for tog from jetties. I'll check anyway.

I fish for them from jetty’s all the time. You need something with a sensitive tip but with a good backbone. Mojo 8ft with 50lb braid on a 4000 or 5000 shimano reel. One hook about 8-12inches of main. Early in the season is best . Hope this helps. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

This sounds crazy. On a party boat I fish with a cod rod for blackfish.

Off the jetty I use a 6 to 7 foot plugging rod. You're in shallower water.

With the limber tip it allows you to feel the hits better. The fish aren't as

big. You have to be fast or you'll get stuck. Remember there's no swing

or bow on the jetty. Others for sure have there own personal preference. :)

20 pound Ande pink, Virginia hooks

Edited by SandSpike1

The hits and break offs could be a bait placement issue. Try pitching your rig onto the sandy parts and reel it in until you feel the base of the rocks. You shouldnt get hung up as much this way and youll get the bigger tog that are on the edges picking off crabs that are getting washed out of the rocks. I rig and jig. My rigs are 40 lb leader and my jigs are on 15-20lb

I use a 6'6" St Croix Tidemaster MH Fast action matched with a Shimano Calcutta 201 with 20lb braid to a 40lb floro leader. When I'm fishing off the rocks for them its more of a vertical dropping right down at my feet into the rocks and this setup works for me. I've found keeping it as light as possible weight wise pays off as well. The rod has enough action and backbone to get those fish up before they snag.

Thanks all, I'll check with what I have . Penn 750 SS should be ok to use with 60# braid. 9' whupping stick could be what I replace.