scoobydoo

How does this help when fighting a fish dumping line?

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Once in a blue moon I've done it. A fish will run straight against the line pull. If you go slack, they'll sometimes turn. If you have no option, might as well. Some sort of snag was also a possibility, but it was so quick, I'd lean towards clearing a knot if that was the case.

13 hours ago, Grayson said:

Free spool will turn them around, done it many a time on a pier to get a fish to swim out from under or around a pylon, on the boat if they run the anchor line or up under.

2 hours ago, mandaragat said:

Yep, let the fish thinks it freed itself and stop fighting the resistance. Same as freeing from snagged fish in its hole.

He only flips the bail for about 2 seconds may lets out 10 feet of line if any?

I have done the free spool trick for fish in a snag but never while they are running and pulling drag?

13 hours ago, Grayson said:

Free spool will turn them around, done it many a time on a pier to get a fish to swim out from under or around a pylon, on the boat if they run the anchor line or up under.

Made me think of my late grandad when you "said" many a time.  Made me smile.  He taught me to fish.  Haven't heard that term in a bit

He has a great synchronization of lure  animation (only reels when the rod is coming down smoothly) and during the fight, the opening of bail is a diversion to confuse the fish, not more, in my opinion the drag could have been much tighter considering the click/rod bend and more so the size of the landed fish. It is an advertisement and they need to put some spice into it.  

1 hour ago, Captain Ahab said:

He only flips the bail for about 2 seconds may lets out 10 feet of line if any?

I have done the free spool trick for fish in a snag but never while they are running and pulling drag?

It works on most species, confuses them as to why the pull is gone I guess and they run back the other way. I free spooled my biggest king 5 or 6 times when I was fighting it, he turned around and went the other way every time. Gotten plenty of fish that were running under the boat to swing back out. 

I've done this a few times striper fishing when the fish takes me under the boat and I am worried of swing around the engines(Ive broken off a few times that way) sometimes it turns the fish in your favor.

Edited by bassfanatic

Like others have said - it's possible he felt that the fish had reached reef. It was a kingfish, and going for reef or any structure is what they do. Very good at it.