fatbikerjoe

Cracked Guides?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Long story short.  Went fishing last night.  Using a light setup.  Tried a new line, 20 lb. test braid (seaguar).  Casts really smooth.  First cast, bam onto a schoolie.  Next cast, I give the plug back to the ocean.  I'm pretty pissed because it was a brand new Colt sniper and I really like them.  Re-tie a bucktail.  A few casts, nothing.  Feeling a little frustrated I power cast and give the bucktail to mother ocean (also a nice bucktail).  Now I'm spitting fire because I never really have break offs.  I'm convinced it's the line (I usually am strung with 40 lb.).  Previously on this rod I was using a reel with 30 lb Suffix 832.  Never had a break off.  Today I check the guides and I notice that on some of them the paint is chipped.  Does this mean the guides are cracked?  Should they be replaced?  Is it worth it to fix the blank?  It's a TICA TC3 USGA90M2S, about $114 on tackledirect.  What would a shop charge to replace 3 guides?  Should I just put that money into a new rod?  Put nail polish on the cracked paint?  Need some guidance.  I have a broken rod, should I take some guides off of that rod and put them on this one?  Worth the time?  Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 mins ago, john1234 said:

Cracked houses will 100% cause break offs.......I’d say get a new rod.

That's what I'm thinking.  It's like this black paint stuff, there is no ceramic insert.  There's some chips and scratches, some extend into the surface that the line would touch.  I'm thinking the 20 lb. is so thin that even the slightest nick would cause failure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve gone to the rods with the rolled all metal eyes. The inserts would fall out and I’d just toss the rod away. The rods are good for braid. Look at ugly stick Elite. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 mins ago, saltfisherman said:

I’ve gone to the rods with the rolled all metal eyes. The inserts would fall out and I’d just toss the rod away. The rods are good for braid. Look at ugly stick Elite. 

I don't see an insert on these rods.  Just some black paint stuff.  This was my first "real" surf rod so it's several years old.  I'm going to stop by the shop tomorrow and see what they say.  If it's more than 50 bucks to fix it, it's a goner or I'll save it and maybe try to fix it myself over the long winter.  I don't see Fuji on the guides at all so I'm thinking lower end el cheapo guides.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 mins ago, fatbikerjoe said:

I don't see an insert on these rods.  Just some black paint stuff.  This was my first "real" surf rod so it's several years old.  I'm going to stop by the shop tomorrow and see what they say.  If it's more than 50 bucks to fix it, it's a goner or I'll save it and maybe try to fix it myself over the long winter.  I don't see Fuji on the guides at all so I'm thinking lower end el cheapo guides.

Joe, they are a one piece guide ring. No insert, just rolled over metal. I have had no problem with them. 

 

Heres some copy form the description on the rod. 

  • Ugly Tuff™ one piece stainless steel guides provide excellent durability and eliminate insert pop-outs
Edited by saltfisherman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, saltfisherman said:

Joe, they are a one piece guide ring. No insert, just rolled over metal. I have had no problem with them. 

Yea, I hear ya.  I have an ugly stik inshore.  Great rod.  I think those are similar to the guides on this rod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 mins ago, fatbikerjoe said:

That's what I'm thinking.  It's like this black paint stuff, there is no ceramic insert.  There's some chips and scratches, some extend into the surface that the line would touch.  I'm thinking the 20 lb. is so thin that even the slightest nick would cause failure.

I’ve had it happen in the past and I can attest to the fact that if you hook a Big Bass that small chip will cost you that fish......You can bring it to a shop and ask them to replace it or if possible it’s an excuse to buy another rod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's the features on the rod, sounds like Hardbody alloy guides.

 

Features:

  • Constructed from high modulus Japanese TC3 graphite material
  • Fuji Alconite tip guide and Fuji Hardloy ring guides for better heat dissipation
  • Fuji DPS reel Seat
  • Signature TICA sliding foldable hook keeper
  • Non-slip cork tape handle
  • Custom diamond wraps above handle
  • Lightweight and sensitive for all day comfort
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, john1234 said:

I’ve had it happen in the past and I can attest to the fact that if you hook a Big Bass that small chip will cost you that fish......You can bring it to a shop and ask them to replace it or if possible it’s an excuse to buy another rod.

I'm pretty sure this is what caused the failure, that and the combo of the ultra thin braid.  If it's just one guide that needs replacing, then that's one thing but about 3 guides have some small damage towards the inner surface so it might be new rod time.  It's time to upgrade anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, fatbikerjoe said:

I'm pretty sure this is what caused the failure, that and the combo of the ultra thin braid.  If it's just one guide that needs replacing, then that's one thing but about 3 guides have some small damage towards the inner surface so it might be new rod time.  It's time to upgrade anyway.

When you hook you’re plug to the guide always put it to the foot of the guide and not the ceramic........That is a common thing than caused small damage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First of all, check the tip. It may be cracked.Tip is a $10 repair..... Easy fix.

If the guides truly do not have inserts and the paint is chipped wet sand the chips a little with 400 sandpaper.....Not an expensive rod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just pass a nylon stocking or cotton ball thru each guide and tip. You'll know right away if there is a problem

 

Edited by SC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Agree, check the tip. Check everywhere. Including reel rollers or guides.  If you find it was the rod tip, I would spend the extra money and get an SIC or even an Alconite tip. Some of us feel these tip rings are more durable. Who knows what the real truth is.

 

I know nothing about that Tica blank so I looked it up. If it's the right blank it say it has "Robust Zirconium ring guides". 

 

My experience with Zirconium rings is "Delicate Petunia". I bought a few Avid Inshore from St. Croix. Came with ALPS Zirconium Guides.  I would constantly have cracks in the rings. Yes, I put the rods in the back of the truck....if that's how it happened fine but for me it was the biggest waste of money. For me it's not durable.

 

 

Edited by The Riddler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.