BrianBM

Got to stay warmer in the winter

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

I've got to stay warmer in the winter than I did on this last blackfish trip.

1) Who makes the warmest thermal underwear?

2) Best middle weight jacket?

3) Easiest foul weather gear to get into and out of? My old Helly Hansens stiffen like a dry fish when its' cold, and there's no neck strap to go under the chin. Is there anything on the market that can cope with fish slime and has zippers on the legs, for ease of entry in and out?

4) Are there deck boots out there with zippers on the side?

Helly Hansen actually has a couple of thousand-dollar jackets on its' site. I can't imagine what would make such a thing worthwhile,so we can leave those out of the discussion.

I’d get a snowmobile suite and some Pac boots. Seriously.

You might look a bit out of place on the deck of a boat but ice fisherman know how to stay warm when they’re fishing and that’s some of the coldest fishing you can do. 

Check out Cabela’s and you can probably get one in a cool looking camo pattern so you won’t look like a complete idiot. On the other hand, as long as you are warm and comfy, who really cares what you look like.

I've been browsing the Helly Hansen and Grunden's sites. Helly Hansen, to my surprise, doesn't show any traditional foul weather gear on their site. Perhaps they've dropped that?  I don't think Black Diamond exists any more. Grunden's is carried by West Marine. There's a West near me, so I'll take a look.

Good thought on Cabela's, I'll have to see what they've got.

Mustang carries or makes a lot of things besides life jackets, including SOLAS suits. I'm not planning to go overboard, but I'll look at those, too.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Brian, check out this site. refrigiwear dot com

i used to have the coveralls for offshore sea bass, when the season was open beyond dec. I also used it for stand hunting during dear season. 

I used to have nothing more than simple clothing on under them. 

Edited by BrianBM

Posted (edited) · Report post

It's more about how you dress than the brands. Layers are key for moisture wicking, not one layer should be too thick...and no cotton!

I personally use 200 weight wool base layers,  "insert brand" mid weight fleece and then grundens bib/jacket on a boat in the cold. A high fill power down/synthetic jacket would have the best warmth:weight ratio, but they certainly don't handle blood/guts/slime/water well. 

Edited by C.Robin

No, they don't, and that's on my mind for a final choice in outerwear. The panfish you might find while ice fishing aren't going to slop you up like winter cod or haddock.

2 hours ago, saltfisherman said:

Brian, check out this site. refrigiwear dot com

i used to have the coveralls for offshore sea bass, when the season was open beyond dec. I also used it for stand hunting during dear season. 

I used to have nothing more than simple clothing on under them. 

I have refrigiwear gloves that are fantastic!!!!  

@BrianBM Head over to TJ Maxx and look at their thermal section. I picked up a top and bottom base layer for $12.99, it's in a black package with gold writing (I forget the brand). Fleece lined and super lightweight. I wore that with grid fleece top and bottom, and then my hunting clothes this weekend when it was 18* up here and was toasty just sitting there. Moving around was even warmer. Just a heads up on a REALLY good deal.

Additionally any merino wool bass layers work amazingly as well. I really like Minus 33 brand. Stay dry, warm, and dont restrict movement. 

I lived in a Mustang float suit for months during the Alaska Exxon Valdez oil spill. Very comfy if the fit was right. The price has tripled since those days.

I was watching a knuckle head deck hand trying to lift a 15 hp outboard onto a working barge one time when he lost his balance and went in with the motor in his grasp!
We could see him holding onto the motor until he hit about 15’ and let it go!

He popped to the surface to a raging  applause from all in attendance.

Good old days.....