bassfanatic

Upgrading a rod for stripers

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

I am currently using a 9wt st.croix imperial rod. I like the rod alot but am looking to upgrade to either a crosscurrent glx or a thomas and thomas zone. I am going to pair it with a hatch 9 plus gen 2. The line I am using right now is a 400 grain sinking made by hatch. Any information and help will be appreciated 

Everyone will have an opinion, and I'm no different. I will say I stick with what I know and most of the new $800 rods I don't know ...because they are $800. I recommend the high end rods from yesteryear however... because they are just as good (or better sometimes) as the latest and greatest.

I love the T&T rods in general ... but specifically the Horizons & Vectors that are no longer made. Their 9wts are best over-lined with WFI 10wt fly lines or around 350 to 375 grain weighted lines.

I haven't handled the new G Loomis GLX rods much ... but with the old school rods ... same as the above. I'm guessing in general if you want to chuck & duck a 400 grain sinking head fly line ... it's probably best to go with a 10wt. Good Luck in your search.

I have a Thomas & Thomas TNT 9 wt paired with a Hatch 7+. I cast Rio Outbound and Outbound Short floating lines in 9 wt, and an Airflow Ridge Striper intermediate 9 wt. Those lines cast fine, I believe the OB lines are already over-lined/overweighted so no need to bump up to the 10 wt lines. The Hatch 7+ is good with the TNT 9wt, I think the Hatch 9+ would be a bit heavy. Go with the 9+ if you're also going to use it with 10 wt or larger rods, if 9 wt rod is heaviest you will use I would go with the 7+ reel.

If you're going to just fish for stripers.Your setup now is quite fine."KironaFly" has the right idea.I'd fish that setup to death.$800 reels,$800 rods,$100 lines,$500 waders!!!!! For a fish that may pull 100' of backing at most? Just a thought.

23 hours ago, bassfanatic said:

I am currently using a 9wt st.croix imperial rod. I like the rod alot but am looking to upgrade to either a crosscurrent glx or a thomas and thomas zone. I am going to pair it with a hatch 9 plus gen 2. The line I am using right now is a 400 grain sinking made by hatch. Any information and help will be appreciated 

Any particular reason you have settled on these two rods (only)?   400 gr is allot of weight for a rod rated at 240 gr to throw.  ( I usually use 300-350 gr on my 9 wts) Some  9wts will do it well. Others not so much. You might want a 10 wt ( or an under rated 9 at minimum)  . I would certainly want to try before I buy if fishing a 400 gr head is your goal.  Seems that there are alot of  9/10 wt rods worth casting in this price range before settling on one.  Sage Motive, TFO Axiom II X,  Loomis IMX Pro, Orvis Recon..... all come to mind as  respectable contenders. 

FWIW, My Sage Motive 8wt begs for a 10 wt to load it up. Haven't tried it with a heavy head yet though.

4 mins ago, WeeHooker said:

Any particular reason you have settled on these two rods (only)?   400 gr is allot of weight for a rod rated at 240 gr to throw.  ( I usually use 300-350 gr on my 9 wts) Some  9wts will do it well. Others not so much. You might want a 10 wt ( or an under rated 9 at minimum)  . I would certainly want to try before I buy if fishing a 400 gr head is your goal.  Seems that there are alot of  9/10 wt rods worth casting in this price range before settling on one.  Sage Motive, TFO Axiom II X,  Loomis IMX Pro, Orvis Recon..... all come to mind as  respectable contenders. 

FWIW, My Sage Motive 8wt begs for a 10 wt to load it up. Haven't tried it with a heavy head yet though.

I am certainly not just choosing the two rods I referenced in my first post, they were just the ones that I was narrowing down. I think I am going to get ride of the line I am using right now and switch to a 300 gr line. I am Upgrading my rod because I intend on using the st.croix right now as my Second set up. I moved from Long Island to New London. I just want to get my setups perfect. So any and all Input is appreciated and welcomed.

Love the orig Gloomis IMX & GLX' for 8-10 wt, they are around and pop up regularly. A sleeper it seems to me are the CTS of NZ rods, have a few and really like them.

I know that this sound old school.  Ebay a Sage RPLX 6 through 13 weight . New cost 1990's $400.00 used priced today $ 300.00 plus there is a reason for this. people in the know snatch these rods up quick for a reason. They have lifting power and  cast well and still have a warranty after all of these years.

FT

Posted (edited) · Report post

For sinking lines, I tend to prefer a rod that is more moderate than fast or super fast.  Tip casting an ultra heavy sinking line just isn't my thing, results seem too unpredictable, so I'd skip almost all modern ultra fast rods.  I relegate my faster, tip-action rods for floating and intermediate lines, and even underline some of them for distance.  An example is the CTS 10wt rod I got from Herb which I now underline to a 9.  The tip is better behaved when underlined. 

Best rods I have for heavy sinking lines are the Albright XXTs (9wt, 10wt)*, the Loomis made Bean Orion (the last Loomis made Bean Orion) that I picked up here used, and the Colton 10wt UD Blue.  The latter has a thick tip (that of a typical 11-12wt) behaves when lined with 400+g.   Both Albrights throw lines up to or over 450g.  Over that and I'm into my 12wt Ross Essence FC rods (own two of them) which have very thick tips and only really bend half way to the butt with an extreme amount of power down low.  The 12wt Ross FC's can cast sinking lines in the 500g to 650g range.  A ten weight in this series would suit your needs I think.  In my opinion you don't need to spend big bucks to get a rod that performs well with heavy sinking lines.  Most older, overbuilt IM-6 rods are good candidates as they are somewhat slower than most modern rods. 

Note:   Bob at Colton is having a sale on rods.  Suggest you give him a call.  The Tradewinds XS 10wt rod would be worth a look.

*The Albright XXT series was designed for heavy sinking lines and they really excel in that application.

Edited by Killiefish

On 11/16/2019 at 2:06 PM, bassfanatic said:

Edit: I realize the line I was using was far to heavy. So my search now is going to primarialy be for either a 9wt or and 8wt. I realized I may be better off getting an adequate intermediate line for my 9wt and purchase 8wt setup. I am deciding if weather or not I want two 9wt's or one of each.

As mentioned previously in this thread. The Sage Motive rod is pretty nice (a fast rod) and apparently they are being discontinued. So fly shops are now offering the $500 original MSRP rods for around $350, kinda like the old days at least in terms of pricing. Back in the day when $450 or $500 was the benchmark for high end in fly fishing rods ... I only bought into that mystic, when they went on sale and were discontinued.

And as mentioned above I have and still use my Sage RPLX 990-3 primarily for casting 350 to 375 grain sinking head lines for Stripers. It's a great all around rod. Their 10wt version of that rod series was way to stiff for me. A real broomstick that's useful when battling Tarpon I supposed.

Again good luck in your fishing.

16 hours ago, Killiefish said:

For sinking lines, I tend to prefer a rod that is more moderate than fast or super fast.  Tip casting an ultra heavy sinking line just isn't my thing, results seem too unpredictable, so I'd skip almost all modern ultra fast rods.  I relegate my faster, tip-action rods for floating and intermediate lines, and even underline some of them for distance.  An example is the CTS 10wt rod I got from Herb which I now underline to a 9.  The tip is better behaved when underlined. 

Best rods I have for heavy sinking lines are the Albright XXTs (9wt, 10wt)*, the Loomis made Bean Orion (the last Loomis made Bean Orion) that I picked up here used, and the Colton 10wt UD Blue.  The latter has a thick tip (that of a typical 11-12wt) behaves when lined with 400+g.   Both Albrights throw lines up to or over 450g.  Over that and I'm into my 12wt Ross Essence FC rods (own two of them) which have very thick tips and only really bend half way to the butt with an extreme amount of power down low.  The 12wt Ross FC's can cast sinking lines in the 500g to 650g range.  A ten weight in this series would suit your needs I think.  In my opinion you don't need to spend big bucks to get a rod that performs well with heavy sinking lines.  Most older, overbuilt IM-6 rods are good candidates as they are somewhat slower than most modern rods. 

Note:   Bob at Colton is having a sale on rods.  Suggest you give him a call.  The Tradewinds XS 10wt rod would be worth a look.

*The Albright XXT series was designed for heavy sinking lines and they really excel in that application.

Yep Bob's Tradewinds XS rods are very nice for just a few sheckles...  I have them in 7-9.

I use OBS lines generally for the salt - it's really about where you fish (conditions) more than about the stripers.

T&T Zone is nice but you can buy 2 Tradewinds + a couple of lines or more for their cost.

1 hour ago, KironaFly said:

As mentioned previously in this thread. The Sage Motive rod is pretty nice (a fast rod) and apparently they are being discontinued. So fly shops are now offering the $500 original MSRP rods for around $350, kinda like the old days at least in terms of pricing. Back in the day when $450 or $500 was the benchmark for high end in fly fishing rods ... I only bought into that mystic, when they went on sale and were discontinued.

And as mentioned above I have and still use my Sage RPLX 990-3 primarily for casting 350 to 375 grain sinking head lines for Stripers. It's a great all around rod. Their 10wt version of that rod series was way to stiff for me. A real broomstick that's useful when battling Tarpon I supposed.

Again good luck in your fishing.

I tried the 8wt & 9wt Motives.... thought bob's Tradewinds XS is as good if not better for my casting.

Scott's Tidal is also very under rated - I think that is a super nice all around stick as is the discontinued Echo 3.