Jewjitzu

Scooby’s Ocea Jigger Teardown

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

@scoobydoo

Thanks for the great teardown. Been waiting for that for a while. 

Few questions. 

1) Did you determine if the blackplate under the handle sideplate was metal or plastic?

2) Have you handled, and is it a big improvement over the 2011 Ocea Jigger that looks like the Trinidad. 

3) The reel has no backup dogs (neither do the Terns or Boss Valiants). Some will argue you don’t need them inshore. But does it make it an inferior reel to the Trinidad for the money? Or does the micro module and infinity drive (whatever other bs names Shimano wants to put on the box) push this reel past the Trinidad?

Thank you 

Edited by Jewjitzu

How about doing a breakdown on an Shimano tiagra or Penn international? A Tiagra 50 would be great. A 130 tear down would be a lot of fun. 100lbs drag out of the box - pretty much the baddest reel on earth.

Maybe a fly reel - a Mako or the new Abel perhaps.

6 hours ago, Cpalms said:

How about doing a breakdown on an Shimano tiagra or Penn international? A Tiagra 50 would be great. A 130 tear down would be a lot of fun. 100lbs drag out of the box - pretty much the baddest reel on earth.

Maybe a fly reel - a Mako or the new Abel perhaps.

I maintained a spread of 50 wlrsa tiagras right before I started youtube.......once they need a refresh I will.  

If I get the time I'll snag one of my friends 130's if he's not in need of them...haven't talked to him in a bit....he runs on the Natural...had a pretty good tourney season...(i got him addicted to tuna fishing :) ))

Nice catch, of that  coil spring.

Tools are bad, screwdriver-s makes it hard to turn and pliers are also too clumsy for nuts.

Reel itself is beauty.

Love my original Ocea Jiggers, been using the same reels since 2003 - anywhere from 30-90 trips a season, every year. Other than a few of the bearings needing to be replaced (ARB, handle) - the reels are awesome, and still going strong.

candy set.jpg

3 hours ago, glos said:

Nice catch, of that  coil spring.

Tools are bad, screwdriver-s makes it hard to turn and pliers are also too clumsy for nuts.

Reel itself is beauty.

I'm trialing the Knipex Pliers wrench to see how they perform and I polished the jaws so they don't mar....so far I dig em...gotta grind em a little flatter as I accidently beveled them so they slip if I'm not careful.

Once squared the'll be as good or better than a box wrench  and I only need on on my bench which is all that's important.

What are you talking about screw drivers -s ?  What googled wisdom are you going to bestow upon me this time.....smh

On 11/16/2019 at 0:13 PM, Jewjitzu said:

@scoobydoo

Thanks for the great teardown. Been waiting for that for a while. 

Few questions. 

1) Did you determine if the blackplate under the handle sideplate was metal or plastic?

2) Have you handled, and is it a big improvement over the 2011 Ocea Jigger that looks like the Trinidad. 

3) The reel has no backup dogs (neither do the Terns or Boss Valiants). Some will argue you don’t need them inshore. But does it make it an inferior reel to the Trinidad for the money? Or does the micro module and infinity drive (whatever other bs names Shimano wants to put on the box) push this reel past the Trinidad?

Thank you 

Ya know I completely glossed over the infiniti drive....that's a cool feature sorta found on the tranx 200 if I recall.

I think the tolerance is tigher than that of a bearings inner and outer race.  The spool shaft may barely contact the inside of the pinion only when it's slid into the engaged position.  IN freespool when the pinion is slide off the spool pin.  The spool is free.  

The 3 screw plate is plastic and only there for water resistance and nothing else

can't speak on the other larger reels in the lineup but a reel this size and capacity.....nothin wrong with not havin a backup.

These aren't big capacity big drag reels.  No harm no foul.  If they were 400 yards or 60lb with 30# max drags at that price..with no doggies..I'd be whining like a britney spears fan who missed her uber on the way to a concert

I like how the Maxells have dual ar clutches and dogs.......Tim ALlen approaved!

@Jewjitzu

Oh and FYI...the reel in this vid boated tuners to 52" and never once was serviced in the two years....just hosed down.

And it's likely sweeter to crank on than when it was new.