BroadSoundBound

Rod ID Help (Old School)

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I'm hoping someone might be able to tell me some details on a rod I just bought. I was hoping it's a Lamiglas but no definitive markings on it. Rod is 11'3 inches, one piece fiberglass. It has a decal from Tackle Shack in Groton CT..Blank is in good shape with one busted guide. I was thinking it would be a good winter project to strip down and put new guides and finish it. The people I bought it from had no info on it aside from the obvious "it's old!".

Thanks -Brian 

Lami2.png

Lami3.png

Lami4.png

Lami5.png

Lami6.png

Lami8.png

In the close up photos the color appears to be Lamiglass, Fenwick is generally a lighter yellow not as orange.

I think these 2 pictures show the color difference between Lami's Yellow Fiberglass and Fenwicks.  By the way, most of the Lami and Fenwick rods of the day and class were rated 2=4 oz, but I would probably stick with 1-3oz.

lamiglass.jpg

Fenwick.jpg

Thank you for the responses. Either way I am pumped I got a good deal on some old gear. I have a couple honey Lami rods and I was trying to compare the color of those to this blank. It looks similar but I also know another company called Montague had yellow honey blanks from back in the day. I know its tough to tell without any factory marking. Montauge Images;

Image result for Montague yellow rod

Image result for Montague yellow rod

Most likely a Lami 136-3M, arguably the most versatile and popular surf blank of the time. You can throw 5” Redfins up to 5 oz and a chunk with it. One note, the 136-3M is 11’4”, either the blank lost an inch somewhere along the line or you may have mis-measured.

5 mins ago, CMSTRIPER said:

Most likely a Lami 136-3M, arguably the most versatile and popular surf blank of the time. You can throw 5” Redfins up to 5 oz and a chunk with it. One note, the 136-3M is 11’4”, either the blank lost an inch somewhere along the line or you may have mis-measured.

Very good chance It is 11'4". I measured the night I bought it and posted the next day. I was hoping it was a 136-3M. I'm a big fan of the whippy fiberglass rods.

Thanks for the input, this will be a fun winter project. 

21 mins ago, BroadSoundBound said:

Very good chance It is 11'4". I measured the night I bought it and posted the next day. I was hoping it was a 136-3M. I'm a big fan of the whippy fiberglass rods.

Thanks for the input, this will be a fun winter project. 

I still use my 30+ year old SSB 136-3M (the S-Glass version) on occasion. 

On 11/17/2019 at 9:14 AM, CMSTRIPER said:

I still use my 30+ year old SSB 136-3M (the S-Glass version) on occasion. 

+1 - with a drilled out/sealed flyer Crack 300.

0808161921.jpg

0808161922.jpg

0808161922a.jpg

0808161923.jpg

0808161923a.jpg

0808161923b.jpg

Edited by FlatWing

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 3:23 PM, BroadSoundBound said:

$30 for this and another old school fiberglass one piece, 3 freshwater combos but they are junk, I'm pretty pumped. Big fan of older fiberglass rods 

looks really interesting.

nice score.

HH

Someone gave me the same type of rod 11’4”, but the cork butt was dry rot and the reel seat cracked. I cut it at the cork, taped a reel on added some rubber o rings spaced out, then some shrink tubbing. Now it’s 8’ and ready to go.50B8CF8C-A0CB-4B9C-8F49-A9914950FD56.jpeg.3ec0233c660aaa58307c8915d8b85d7f.jpegA4717AE3-351E-418C-B747-9C6E2674B0FC.jpeg.c72d1927d5cedd9d1ffe009e861b8cec.jpeg