jeffory

Stinky sandals, how to get rid of the stink

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have to ask if anyone else has experienced the stink that eventually happens after exposing your sandals to the saltwater and constantly being wet?  I have had 3 pair of sandals do this, Tiva, Olukai and Eccos.  I have tried to wash them and let the sun bake them to try and get rid of the smell to no avail.  

Anyone else experience this and if you have, what have you done to get rid of the smell???

Edited by jeffory

Rinse thoroughly, then put the sandals in a plastic tub. Cover them with the Dollar Store equivalent of Listerine. Leave overnight, then rinse again.

Problem solved!

1 hour ago, Otony said:

Rinse thoroughly, then put the sandals in a plastic tub. Cover them with the Dollar Store equivalent of Listerine. Leave overnight, then rinse again.

Problem solved!

Do you dilute the Listerine or full strength?

13 mins ago, pakalolo said:

Sounds more a problem with personal hygiene ! Cheap ass all rubber slippahs are impervious to stank.

Haha yea.....hygiene!! My next pair of sandals will be a $15 pair from walmart that i can just throw away lol

Croc knockoffs, from Walmart, are $9 and they are “Made in USA.”

Buy a bunch and get rid of them if they turn funky. 

Smelly footwear is generally a sign of bacteria and other nasties and you are better off getting rid of them instead of trying to put them back on your feet. Yuck ! 

29 mins ago, valentine said:

Croc knockoffs, from Walmart, are $9 and they are “Made in USA.”

Buy a bunch and get rid of them if they turn funky. 

Smelly footwear is generally a sign of bacteria and other nasties and you are better off getting rid of them instead of trying to put them back on your feet. Yuck ! 

I hear ya!! I don’t have a foot odor problem so this really got me. 

1 hour ago, jeffory said:

I hear ya!! I don’t have a foot odor problem so this really got me. 

Right, it’s not your feet that smell bad, it’s everything they leave behind in the footwear that stinks. And repeated wearings and time only compound the problem.  Ever see photos of the stuff they vacuum out of a mattress? Shoes are the same way; disgusting.