hurricane1091

Dogfish

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, hurricane1091 said:

I caught a skate or a dogfish on bunker head Friday for what it's worth. I think it was a skate which was surprising but can't fully remember

I would guess a skate.

for fun in the deleware bay we were inundated with dogs. every bunker chunk caught a dog. the other 3 guys didn't believe me so I dropped down a head and it wasn't touched , yet they kept bailing the dogs on chunks.

3 hours ago, BillHoo said:

Is it juicy?  Is it scrumptious?

nope. they are tasteless.  cook them in butter and garlic then throw away the meat and use the sauce over shrimp.

1 hour ago, coolhandfluke said:

nope. they are tasteless.  cook them in butter and garlic then throw away the meat and use the sauce over shrimp.

I saw catch and cooks on youtube saying they were OK. The meat looks OK but I don't know, I'd have to try it for myself lol

Posted (edited) · Report post

In a few years, that may be all we are allowed to catch is dogfish and sea robins....with size and creel restrictions!

Edited by BillHoo

7 hours ago, BillHoo said:

Is it juicy?  Is it scrumptious?

Processed

I'm most certain you've had it before. They're readily found

in the frozen food section at the supermarket.

18 hours ago, SandSpike1 said:

Processed

I'm most certain you've had it before. They're readily found

in the frozen food section at the supermarket.

be more specific please.

labeled as dog fish ? what are they labeled as ?

dog fish secreet through there skin.   they need to be immediately filleted and put on ice. throw every spice on them and you may eat them but most who have tried them don't care for them.

I like to taste my seafood.  

This is what I'm understanding according to what I've

been researching. They're labeling the processed fish

that are mixed species from processing ground fish.

Such as skates and dogfish but on the label it shows

either Pollock or Cod fish.

I also noticed things that are labeled dogfish are in

dog food products. The biggest argument with dogfish

is the rancidity is more of a concern than the urinating

through the skin. It needs to be cleaned immediately

for freshness and yes I have eaten dogfish. :)

I think in the 90s, McDonalds was forced to address it's impact on dogfish stocks.  Apparently the fillet-o-fish was depleting mature dogfish that need to get to a certain age of maturity before they reproduce.  They had been hitting that biomass so hard, the species was having difficulty reproducing.

Not to be a doomsayer, but I'm seeing this on aquatic species all across the board.  Also seeing it in birds and mammals when I hunt too.

They used to be commercially harvested and a study some years back stated that they were endangered.Someone screwed-up. They stopped the comms. from catching them and then realized they made a mistake,but by that time the comms that were fishing for them switched to something else and never went back.From what I've heard they're not bad to eat.I have a guy that comes to my B&T that actually targets them.From where he's from in England they eat them all the time for fish and chips ,because of the declining Cod fishery there.

3 hours ago, SandSpike1 said:

This is what I'm understanding according to what I've

been researching. They're labeling the processed fish

that are mixed species from processing ground fish.

Such as skates and dogfish but on the label it shows

either Pollock or Cod fish.

I also noticed things that are labeled dogfish are in

dog food products. The biggest argument with dogfish

is the rancidity is more of a concern than the urinating

through the skin. It needs to be cleaned immediately

for freshness and yes I have eaten dogfish. :)

my comprehension is not all that good but your saying they mislabel ?  they are using skates and doggies but the label says cod and pollack ?     

as for dogs, those guys that breed and run dogs in Alaska feed them fish mainly.

4 mins ago, AlwaysWading said:

They used to be commercially harvested and a study some years back stated that they were endangered.Someone screwed-up. They stopped the comms. from catching them and then realized they made a mistake,but by that time the comms that were fishing for them switched to something else and never went back.From what I've heard they're not bad to eat.I have a guy that comes to my B&T that actually targets them.From where he's from in England they eat them all the time for fish and chips ,because of the declining Cod fishery there.

ask marty how he feels about this issue.

35 mins ago, coolhandfluke said:

they are using skates and doggies but the label says cod and pollack ?

As for example 80 percent is pollock and the other 20 percent

is miscellaneous other ground fish. :)

85 percent cod, 10 percent dogfish, 5 percent skate. Label reads cod.

There is a commercial fishery - mostly the mid-Atlantic and Southern New England. There was a much larger fishery for them that wasclosed down because of pressure from the environmental industry. They are supposedly endangered or threatened in the Eastern Atlantic. Not in the U.S. where on the East Coast they are underfished.

As far as I know there are only two processors, with both domestic and export markets. When the fishery was closed down a lot of buyers found substitute supplies. When it was reopened the buyers were skittish about becoming dependent on a domestic supply and then once again having it taken away - same agency, (mostly) same people, same ENGOs still in charge - but the fishery is slowly increasing.

(Some of you might remember the big NOAA push to catch, process and market "underutilized species." They were fairly successful in supporting the development of the dogfish fishery, and then after a bunch of people/companies invested in it they abruptly shut the fishery down. Good planning there, what?   

Dogfish must be treated better than most fish, but the idea that they have to be skinned immediately is not accurate - iced on board, refrigerated then skinned/processed/filetted. As pointed out up above, the name "dogfish" isn't consumer-friendly. There are other names but they aren't widely used (Cape sharks, grey fish, tube fish...). A new, commonly accepted name would def be beneficial.

I haven't seen anything recent but used to be that a large proportion of Brit fish & chips were spiny dogs.

I organized a workshop on the proliferation of spiny dogs back in '08. Commercial, party/charter and recreational fishermen, bureaucrats and researchers. The website for it starts at http://www.fishnet-usa.com/dogforum1.htm. There's a lot of good info there. A piece I wrote, The Dogfish Follies (http://www.fishnet-usa.com/dogforum1.htm) give a lot of perhaps useful background information. Dave Pirece's (now head of Massachusetts Division of Fisheries) at http://www.fishnet-usa.com/David_Pierce.pdf does ditto, with some kind of compelling pix. But if you are interested in this mess it's all useful.

If you have any questions send me a personal message. I'm busy until Saturday then will be in Marathon in the Keys for a week so might not back to you for a bit but unless there's an overwhelming response to this and the question is reasonable I'll get back to you.