hurricane1091

Dogfish

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

I've been mostly baiting and waiting this fall and have caught way too many of these dogfish. I'm told even pluggers are getting into them. I met a sharpie today that had some good information on the situation, but I figured we'd discuss here. Do we have a problem here with these things? They've always been present and who hasn't caught them in the summer while fluking, but it's seemingly getting out of hand. Do they have an effect on small game fish perhaps too? Share your thoughts folks.

Posted (edited) · Report post

They are a pest and can really take over an area. Togging at the red church a few weeks back and we could no get away from them. You'd hook one and few would follow it to the boat. and they will eat everything. 

Edited by achez

3 hours ago, achez said:

They are a pest and can really take over an area. Togging at the red church a few weeks back and we could no get away from them. You'd hook one and few would follow it to the boat. and they will eat everything. 

Do you think it's becoming worse? It seems like it, and some people I have met have suggested it and voiced concerns over it.

I've been boat fishing for stripers for 5 years and haven't caught one until this year. got one on a stretch and 6 on live lined bunker. Been on schools on bunker with nothing but dogs on them.

We chunked Thu and Fri night and they were relentless. Like one after another. Really annoying when they swallow the hook and/or when they keep washing back up and wont go into the water. We did get 3 small stripers mixed in Friday night around high-tide, so it's not like its a lost cause when you're catching the dogs.

I was on a boat 2 weeks ago and was catching them on diamond jigs. Friday went togging and couldn't get away from them. The captain said the doggies ran the Seabass off pieces we were fishing

1 hour ago, coolhandfluke said:

use bunker head they wont touch it for stripers.

wrecking, as soon as your off it, reel up

I caught a skate or a dogfish on bunker head Friday for what it's worth. I think it was a skate which was surprising but can't fully remember

6 hours ago, Tomm24 said:

I've been boat fishing for stripers for 5 years and haven't caught one until this year. got one on a stretch and 6 on live lined bunker. Been on schools on bunker with nothing but dogs on them.

Exactly. With the amount of bait this year it's no wonder why they are present. We have had "a lot" of bunker. May have not seen the mass from shore as much but in the boat and kayak it's been like this from spring until fall. Just wondering why the bait isn't running the shoreline this fall.