The TideRunner

Kids Fishing Area.

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I'm in Milford, and we had a great resource here for kids wanting to fish. Two very nice ponds, stocked with trout, for the under 16 year old crowd. In their great wisdom, the DEEP Fisheries changed it to an anyone can fish area.

So now those kids can share those ponds with those that leave trash around, keep more than the limit, etc. This is where the Milford Striped Bass Club has their kids fishing derby, and they stock it with some beautiful trout. And as soon as the derby is over, in comes the swarm of "sportsmen".

With the dwindling sales of licenses, why would the State take away this spot where the license buyers of tomorrow can learn, where parent can take their kids fishing without having to deal with idiots? I would like to see this changed back to an Under 16 fishing area. Is it worth my time, and effort, or am I pissing up a rope on this one? FWIW, I noticed Fairfield still has their under 16 pond. Maybe the Milford per capita household income isn't high enough?

We hear the slogan "take a kid fishing", then we take their fishing spot away. And note, I have no hound in this hunt, kids are grown. I just feel he kids go screwed on this one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can see the negative of this considering what stocked ponds look like during 'spring fever'. on the flip side, there are lots of ponds and streams with willing fish (maybe not always trout) all over CT and beyond. hopefully, parents don't give up because of the spring circus and take time to explore with their kids. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s a shame the young are into x box and social media. I’m a millennial and grew up in nyc suburbs and my whole childhood was outside. Bikes, sports, fishing and hiking in the woods. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never heard of a kid only fishing spot, doesn't seem like a great idea to me. Kids need to learn not everything is easy, if you want your spot be there first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2019 at 8:04 AM, dleopoldi914 said:

It’s a shame the young are into x box and social media. I’m a millennial and grew up in nyc suburbs and my whole childhood was outside. Bikes, sports, fishing and hiking in the woods. 

Yep it's crazy.. I'm only 33 but i recently went to a few of my favorite fishing/hangout spots as a kid and the trails were completely overgrown and retaken by the woods as if no one was ever there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 mins ago, nateD said:

Never heard of a kid only fishing spot, doesn't seem like a great idea to me. Kids need to learn not everything is easy, if you want your spot be there first.

Each year the state issues a new book with all the fishing regs in it. You should read it. In there you’ll find a number of “Under 16” fishing areas. These places existed since I started fishing some 50 plus years ago. And you’re right fishing should not be easy. An adult that’s weaseling closer and closer to where a kid is fishing only adds to the challenge. But an adult would never do that.  BS!!!  They did it to me when fishing with a nephew this spring.  It was a kids fishing derby  and I was sitting back in a chair and I guess this dope didn’t see me sitting behind the 10 yo. He nudged til he was almost on top of him.  We exchanged some pleasant conversation. Something along the line of how good of a swimmer he was. Or might become if he gets any closer to my nephew. Patience was never my thing   People do this to grown ups. What makes you think they wouldn’t do it to a kid?

If you’re an adult and you need to be fishing for stocked trout in a 5 acre pond, maybe fishing isn’t for them. If you need the fish that badly I’ll gladly take you to a fish market. Or maybe you’re worried some 7 yo may take your fish away?

Not every kid has a parent to take him fishing. Hell Im always taking some single parent kid fishing or hunting. These ponds are maybe the only place a kid can get to.

Lets take that away so that kids have no desire or need to be outdoors anymore. Then these little ponds will be available for grownups only. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2019 at 9:05 PM, The TideRunner said:

I'm in Milford, and we had a great resource here for kids wanting to fish. Two very nice ponds, stocked with trout, for the under 16 year old crowd. In their great wisdom, the DEEP Fisheries changed it to an anyone can fish area.

So now those kids can share those ponds with those that leave trash around, keep more than the limit, etc. This is where the Milford Striped Bass Club has their kids fishing derby, and they stock it with some beautiful trout. And as soon as the derby is over, in comes the swarm of "sportsmen".

With the dwindling sales of licenses, why would the State take away this spot where the license buyers of tomorrow can learn, where parent can take their kids fishing without having to deal with idiots? I would like to see this changed back to an Under 16 fishing area. Is it worth my time, and effort, or am I pissing up a rope on this one? FWIW, I noticed Fairfield still has their under 16 pond. Maybe the Milford per capita household income isn't high enough?

We hear the slogan "take a kid fishing", then we take their fishing spot away. And note, I have no hound in this hunt, kids are grown. I just feel he kids go screwed on this one.

I may be wrong, but I thought those ponds were kids only for the fishing derby day only. Have to compare anglers guides To confirm I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally they were Under 16 ponds up to the north side US 1 bridge. This included a chunk of the Wepawaug River as well.  On derby day, kids lose interest and the adults start fishing, then give the kids the fish to go check in. This year this was happening next to us with a mom getting closer and close from one side, and encouraging the kids to do the same. and a dad  or grand dad moving closer to our left. To the left there was about  50 ft or so of room to fish. I prefer to let my nephews fish, while I sleep in the chair behind them, only getting up to bait a hook.

Maybe that's why the other adults aggravate me. I have to wake up from my nap to tell them to move over.

The nice thing about the derby is there were a bunch of golden trout released. and they stayed under the waterfall pretty much all spring refusing to be caught.

Return the ponds back to the kids, and let the grownups fish the river. There are plenty of fish stocked in the river and plenty of access.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/21/2019 at 2:52 PM, nateD said:

Never heard of a kid only fishing spot, doesn't seem like a great idea to me. Kids need to learn not everything is easy, if you want your spot be there first.

  From the CT DEEP Angling Guide

CHILDREN’S FISHING AREA Angling in such areas is restricted to children under sixteen years of age when posted as such

 

. I was going to put specific Under 16 ponds here but thought it would be considered spot burn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/7/2019 at 10:43 AM, The TideRunner said:

  From the CT DEEP Angling Guide

CHILDREN’S FISHING AREA Angling in such areas is restricted to children under sixteen years of age when posted as such

 

. I was going to put specific Under 16 ponds here but thought it would be considered spot burn

So? Still think it's dumb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/21/2019 at 2:52 PM, nateD said:

Never heard of a kid only fishing spot, doesn't seem like a great idea to me. Kids need to learn not everything is easy, if you want your spot be there first.

I agree with you on a lot of stuff but think you're off the mark here. The kids still need to actually catch the fish, and, if they want a good spot they still need to get there first. The only thing they don't have to do is battle some guy 2x (3, 4, or 5x) as old as them to do it. It levels the playing field for the kids so that some old river rat isn't yelling at an 11 year old kid for crossing his line. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 mins ago, FlukeOff said:

I agree with you on a lot of stuff but think you're off the mark here. The kids still need to actually catch the fish, and, if they want a good spot they still need to get there first. The only thing they don't have to do is battle some guy 2x (3, 4, or 5x) as old as them to do it. It levels the playing field for the kids so that some old river rat isn't yelling at an 11 year old kid for crossing his line. 

Did you fish kid only areas when you were young? That 11 y/o is gonna learn pretty quick he shouldn't be crossing lines, which is a good lesson imo. I don't know any fisherman who are actively going to be mean to a kid learning how to fish, especially if the kid is alone. Kid only fishing spot seems like coddling to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.