wasy

Tog

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I’ve never fished for black fish and I’m wondering if tog are present in the back, specifically in Barnegat Bay?

im not talking about fishing the inlets or close to any inlets but in the bay around structure

2 hours ago, wasy said:

I’ve never fished for black fish and I’m wondering if tog are present in the back, specifically in Barnegat Bay?

im not talking about fishing the inlets or close to any inlets but in the bay around structure

I'm not a tog expert but you better have some very specific structure in mind, not nearly sharp enough to give you the answer you want though but the water is cold in the back and tog are usually picked off rocks, pilings, and reefs. Good luck!

1 min ago, wasy said:

Are green crabs they way to go or can u also jig them?

Tog jigs are still baited with crabs. Greens are fine. 

You can always try others if you can get them. Fiddlers would probably be a regular menu item for backwater blackfish. 

5 hours ago, Kml said:

Tog jigs are still baited with crabs. Greens are fine. 

You can always try others if you can get them. Fiddlers would probably be a regular menu item for backwater blackfish. 

Not trying to be a wise guy, I know a spot with a strong fiddler population and tog. The fiddlers are up on the marsh and really don't see them or their borrows at the waters edge where tog could target them. I'm not well educated on fiddlers just curious how the tog target them. Thanks

Don't know. I do know that they are a bait that guys use for tog. The tackle shop do sell them or at least they used to around here. I haven't looked for them.

Blackfish will eat any crabs as far as I can tell.

I remember back in the 80’s guys fishing the bay right against the sedge banks w/ fiddler crabs did a number on them.,,,,, no structure at all. 

13 hours ago, MTL said:

I remember back in the 80’s guys fishing the bay right against the sedge banks w/ fiddler crabs did a number on them.,,,,, no structure at all. 

That's how they eat fiddlers, right on the mud ledges

16 mins ago, JerseySwells said:

To piggyback on this thread, has anyone had success digging up sandfleas on the beach and catching tog around the ends of jetties?

I catch em every time we are at the beach with the kids in the summer, not sure this time of year though.

51 mins ago, JerseySwells said:

To piggyback on this thread, has anyone had success digging up sandfleas on the beach and catching tog around the ends of jetties?

I dig them up and use them in inlets to get tog. Sometimes a bass will get to it first.

Fleas will move offshore when the water gets too cold, but I snagged a few last week. 

On 11/22/2019 at 8:20 AM, JerseySwells said:

I’ve dug them on the beach and they are tog crack :)

On 11/15/2019 at 6:37 PM, wasy said:

I’m searching for them in Barnegat bay also, have found some spots but not many beyond what has been mentioned. they like pilings and rocks