coastalfreak

Dumbest Thing You Did When You Started Fishing

Rate this topic

77 posts in this topic

When I was super young, like 7 or 8, I didn't know how to tie knots so I just threaded a hook onto my line and tied like 30 overhand knots into my line so it wouldn't slide off. Lol. Embarrassing days. 

When I was a kid I didn't know anyone who fished so I just figured it out on my own. Had no idea how drags worked. I broke off a lot of fish until I figured it out.

With my friends rode our bikes to a pond that was maybe 3-4 miles from the house to go fishing at  a place different than the neighborhoods pond-  We were maybe 10-12 years old.  None of us really knew what poison ivy looked like.  Very ugly outcome for most of us. One kid had a trip to the hospital as his face swelled so badly.  I think all of us were forbidden to go there again. I'm know able to spot poison ivy in it's many forms from yards away.

The other was keeping way too many fish on a whiting trip when I was a kid back in the 70s.  Me, my dad and a few of his buddies caught 200+ fish -  they didn't have the heart to tear me away from a crazy good day of catching.  I dont' think they understood the impact on the stocks and I certainly didnt' as a youngster.  

I remember fishing 40 lb mono and casting the smallest floating rapala lures. It was pretty much fly fishing at that point, but I still caught some LMB which I was pumped about 

I started fishing last year and I had to figure everything out on my own because I didn’t know anyone that fish. I think for the first month I was fishing 50 lb braid on a ultra light rod and 3000 reel. 

I wasn’t too good at knots either so my first few times out I spent most of my time retying. I remember this happening multiple times in a day but I’d set the hook when my slip float would go under and it just unravels and disappears forever 

Posted (edited) · Report post

when I was a wee lad I tried to catch some bait off a pier with a cast net but forgot to loop it around my wrist. 

also when I was a wee lad I was fishing off a bridge and hooked into a monster sheepshead. my brother ran for a net but my friend told me to hand line it up and of course I never got to see that monster of a sheepshead.

when I was a not-so-wee lad I got so excited to get on the water that I locked my keys in my car. didn't have a phone so I had to hoof it a couple miles to a ranger station and in that time snapped off the one lure I had that wasn't locked in my car. was a long boring walk. 

Edited by youngc

My first fishing boat was a 23' C-Hawk, and I felt invincible in it.  Spent one night in November drifting around in Little Egg Inlet with Eels and a couple of friends who couldn't even spell boat.

- No radar.

- No detailed marks on my GPS with all the shoals.

- Ice everywhere (in the boat).

- No EPIRB, no DSC on my VHF, no spotlight.

- No real concept of what the tides were doing.

- No real experience with how to fix basic engine problems if something went wrong.

- No jumpbox.

- No buddy boat.

- No first aid kit.

- We had PFDs, but weren't wearing them.

We caught nothing, and other than being cold, felt like the whole night was really no problem.  Wasn't until years later, when I finally got a clue, that I realized just how lucky we were that nothing went wrong that night, or we all would have died.

I was like 7 years old and I took my grandmother’s sewing thread and a 2x4, hammered a nail in to the wood and tied on the sewing thread. Now I didn’t have hooks so I tied on a thumb tack. Doesn’t stop there... Didn’t have bait either so I grabbed a loaf of wonderbread off the kitchen counter...

Other than that my first time croaker fishing someone said shrimp work so I went to the grocery store and bought cocktail shrimp. Caught fish too.