rbart

Gulf VS Atlantic

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

If you could only pick one to fish for a season, I’m curious as to which coast people on here would prefer and for what reasons (they don’t even have to be fishing related). I’ve fished the Gulf side and the Keys, but never the mainland Atlantic side.

Thanks! 

Edited by rbart

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have not spent much time in the Gulf, just a few trips over 30 years. 

That said, the opportunities on the East Coast are so varied and nearby in comparison. As C Robin has pointed out, from Palm Beach or Jupiter Inlets You can be into albies, small tuna, sails and mahi mahi within a short ride from shore. Even the 1,000 foot line is not that far off at this location. 

Edited by tomkaz

West coast is relatively more an inshore fishery. There is no real structure close to shore on the gulf. Backside of the west is all structure with mangroves, docks and bridges. To gain one ft of depth on west side you have to travel a mile. It takes time and distance to gain structure. 

East coast is inshore and off too. Bottom drops quicker. You can easily be in 40’ of water in moment. 

Water is colder on east, west normal summer temp is 80-90. Winter closer to 60. If you figure water temp is the same as air temps. 

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 11:45 AM, saltfisherman said:

West coast is relatively more an inshore fishery. There is no real structure close to shore on the gulf. Backside of the west is all structure with mangroves, docks and bridges. To gain one ft of depth on west side you have to travel a mile. It takes time and distance to gain structure. 

East coast is inshore and off too. Bottom drops quicker. You can easily be in 40’ of water in moment. 

Water is colder on east, west normal summer temp is 80-90. Winter closer to 60. If you figure water temp is the same as air temps. 

100% agree.  

Water is colder on the east only in summer

In winter the water is much warmer on the east coast especially around jupiter /west palm because the gulf stream is so close. Juno beach water temp rarely goes below upper 60's

Have a boat to get thru the inlets, east coast will put you into deep water quickly.  Want more inshore and/or wading, west coast.  One thing to watch is the red tide on the SW coast. 

I’ve been fishing the west side for the last three years and the closer of snook,redfish,and spotted trout for the last two because of red tide. I’m going to say that I’d fish the ocean if given the chance. Naples is looking like a bust again but the beaches are nice.

Northern gulf coast has plenty of inshore options as well as good deep water fishing. We're only really missing out on Snook and permit aren't as plentiful.

But i would love to take a trip to Tampa area or sebastian inlet.

36 mins ago, Badtothebugs said:

Northern gulf coast has plenty of inshore options as well as good deep water fishing. We're only really missing out on Snook and permit aren't as plentiful.

I was about to type that. Places like Destin in the northern part of the state have big drops fairly close to the coast which let's you catch tuna.

All across the panhandle you can find good bottom fishing and there are plenty of kings , wahoo, and dolphin. The inshore is going to be primarily reds and trout, but you can get oysters/scallops easily. The panhandle also has the gulf striped bass.

2 hours ago, mwhitt80 said:

I was about to type that. Places like Destin in the northern part of the state have big drops fairly close to the coast which let's you catch tuna.

All across the panhandle you can find good bottom fishing and there are plenty of kings , wahoo, and dolphin. The inshore is going to be primarily reds and trout, but you can get oysters/scallops easily. The panhandle also has the gulf striped bass.

It's really a fantastic fishery. If I'm not mistaken east pass destin is the closest in the gulf to the 100 fathom line. 

The panhandle really is amazing.

If you go from Carrabelle over to Callaway you have these fantastic bays to fish in and lots of structure offshore to bottom fish and catch your kings/wahoo/dolphin. 

Then as you move west to Panama City Beach and Destin you start getting real drops depths. In Destin I think it drops to 150ft at 2 miles off shore. 

35 mins ago, mwhitt80 said:

The panhandle really is amazing.

If you go from Carrabelle over to Callaway you have these fantastic bays to fish in and lots of structure offshore to bottom fish and catch your kings/wahoo/dolphin. 

Then as you move west to Panama City Beach and Destin you start getting real drops depths. In Destin I think it drops to 150ft at 2 miles off shore. 

The fact that navare pier has put multiple blackfin tuna on deck already this fall says everything you need to know about close deepwater. We haven't got any blackfins on Okaloosa island yet though. I would love to got fish apalachicola area next year

Sorry for just checking back in on this thread. Thanks for the recent replies. The Northern Panhandle is definitely intriguing to me, something I hadn’t considered. 

I ask because I might spend a year in FL, maybe longer.  My job allows plenty of flexibility as to where I live... I’m a Northeast surf guy at heart (apologies in advance), so the Atlantic side seems appealing. Looks I’d be in familiar territory in terms of gear for bigger snook/tarpon/blacktip, and in terms of  reading the beach/water. The Gulf is so tranquil, though and I do love wade fishing. Red tide is a definite concern, though. 

So this is how this thread came to be...

Thanks again!