Suggestions on Curly Tail Grubs

Beastly Backlash

I used to only use Zoom 4in curly tails, they were dirt cheap ($1.50 for 15), came in the colors I wanted (yellow/chartreuse, black and yellow/chartreuse), and they were very supple.

Then zoom quit making them seeral years ago. I have tried Mister Twister and Berkley as well as a couple other brands. None of them are as soft as those Zooms. Mister Twister has good colors and the right size at least, but it is a very stiff plastic and suffers in cold water.

Any suggestions on options?

Just picked up a pack of Yamamoto 4in yellow grubs I am going to try.

Those mentioned are fine, but take a look at places like Barlow's Tackle, and their house brand. There are other places too, even a few Ebay sellers have some good deals on grubs that are unbranded, hold up well and not made in China! 

I primarily have used 3" or 4" grubs, and I like the Zoom Fat Albert, or that style with the wider tails, but I've also bought some grubs that Barlow's makes and they've been as good as any & less money. 

I've occasionally picked up bags of the Gotcha brand too on sale and they've been as good as any. I think the last that I got were 6" in white & in transparent chartreuse. If I recall they were 20 or 25 packs. 

i always used the softest bodyed  grub i could find. i hear what your saying about them holding up and it's true they didn't  but i never minded using more of them if i was hooking up. i would buy them buy the pound from a vendor called the worm barn at a local fishing show. i was using them as trailers on jigs and and spinner baits. if your using them as the main bait well then you do need a firmer body.

As a trailer for certain chatterbaits and smaller swim jigs I use the Sea Striker 4" Got- Cha Grub. Think they're $3.49 20pk. They are durable and cheap

2 hours ago, big popper said:

i always used the softest bodyed  grub i could find. i hear what your saying about them holding up and it's true they didn't  but i never minded using more of them if i was hooking up. i would buy them buy the pound from a vendor called the worm barn at a local fishing show. i was using them as trailers on jigs and and spinner baits. if your using them as the main bait well then you do need a firmer body.

For pretty much everything else I like Strike King Rage's. They're pricey but they just plain catch

Yamamoto grubs are best I've used, esp if you want some natural colors. Did some damage on suspended smallies with the 4" smoke black flake slow rolled over their heads. 

Durable and soft? You might want to check out Zman. I don't like the high flotation of their elaztech but they def flow and move in frigid water. 

3 hours ago, big popper said:

Same here, and that is what I loved about the zoom grubs.

When fishing in cold temps only the really soft lures have excellent action.

The mister twisters I use just don't undulate very well, especially when performing the extra slow retrieves and drifts needed to catch walleye.

Don't know if Z-Man makes grubs, but their elaztech material is super soft. 

"It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most
Not where you live, what you drive or the price tag on your clothes" -Zac Brown Band

"A leader is someone who keeps their head when everyone else is losing theirs." -Bryant Wright

5 mins ago, buddha162 said:

Yamamoto grubs are best I've used, esp if you want some natural colors. Did some damage on suspended smallies with the 4" smoke black flake slow rolled over their heads. 

Durable and soft? You might want to check out Zman. I don't like the high flotation of their elaztech but they def flow and move in frigid water. 

I am going to be trying out those yellow 4in Yamamoto grubs tomorrow, if they work out well I will be happy.

Saw they also have 6in sizes too.

Just wish they came in a duel color scheme, black and yellow has always been one of the most effective color schemes for me.

2 mins ago, hobobob said:

Kalin's grubs has the best tail action. Very thin tail section so it does not stand up much, but great action. Yamamoto, I get them on sales from overstock bait for cheap, along with the cut tail worm. yamamoto is ok, but the body tear up quite easily, I get quite a few pull downs when using yamamotos.

Most of the time a jig only lasts for 30min worth of fishing until it is lost to a snag anyway.

When I say pull down, I mean the grub body got pulled down and covered the hook point on hook set.  I only use double tail yamamoto.  Singles always reach for kailin.   If you want color combo, just buy the chartruse hola skirt and doctor your own. I don't think they make a yellow color thou.

5 mins ago, hobobob said:

When I say pull down, I mean the grub body got pulled down and covered the hook point on hook set.  I only use double tail yamamoto.  Singles always reach for kailin.   If you want color combo, just buy the chartruse hola skirt and doctor your own. I don't think they make a yellow color thou.

I will watch for that.

I have used Kalin's before, but I can't remember why I stopped.