JimK

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE.....

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

16 mins ago, Belmo said:

A lantern is no big deal, as long as it's on all the time.

And then you walk back in forth in front of it casting a huge moving shadow out over the water

That's every bit as bad as shining a headlight in the water, might even be worse

I'm not looking to pick a side as I'm highly stuck in my ways to certain regards (like, I won't touch bait without rinsing my hands off in the water first if I was touching some food or something else) so I can't judge people. I think the sudden change idea has some weight though if you consider how we catch fish despite loud boat motors cruising around, but if you've ever taken a Jon boat out on a quiet lake, you know the bass will spook unless you cruise up slowly.

Some bass probably get spooked, some probably don't. If someone wants to use a light, they can be mindful of those around them. If someone doesn't like lights, they need to be mindful that others do. Basic ettiquete should be enough here.

19 hours ago, hurricane1091 said:

I fished at night just once and couldn't see much without a headlight, I must admit. I'd probably be someone who wouldn't want to fish without a light on the rocks, so I guess I should just stay away from them.

what do you need to see? 

Of course as you are walking out on the rocks or moving around a light is important if there isn't enough ambient light for you to see comfortably but even then cupping the light in your hand so it's not blasting all the way around the sides of the jetty helps. 

On the beach what do you need to see? it's not like you are going to cast into a tree? if you need a light to find the bail on your reel then night fishing probably should be eliminated from consideration. 

Sometimes lights going on and off bother the fish.  sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes casting a shadow on actively feeding fish will spook them on the beach. sometimes it won't.  I have never had a fish tell me how spooky they will be in a given set of circumstances so i just err on the side of caution. 

if i need to turn my light on i face away from the water. If i am on a jetty i cup my hand around the beam.   Obviously safety is your first concern but there are ways to be safe and not light up the ocean at the same time. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Everyone has a moment where they might need a light, we (well, most of us) are only human. But the guys with the headlamps on the full moon nights...you gotta be kidding. I'm half-blind and even I can tie knots on those nights. You're only ruining your vision until your eyes adjust to the darkness again.

Edited by stranded1

16 hours ago, Sudsy said:

And then you walk back in forth in front of it casting a huge moving shadow out over the water

That's every bit as bad as shining a headlight in the water, might even be worse

Hey, don't look at me! I don't use one! :D

The trick that takes some getting used to -- at least it did for me -- is to get comfortable moving around in the dark. It's unnatural, and even kind of freaky, if you're not used to it. A couple of trips should get you over it. 

And the thing that you will learn getting yerself acclimated to the dark is that it takes longer than most people realize for your eyes to become completely adjusted to the dark. It's about a half-hour for me. This is one reason why it is not only rude to shine a light in someone's face -- get that **** out of here :dismay: -- but a tactical problem: you can reverse, with one blast of light, all the progress a guy's eyes have made to get used to the dark. 

One thing that people who are ascared of the dark will realize pretty quickly is that it is rare to be out on a night where there is absolutely no light -- and this is doubly true on the beaches in Jersey, where there are almost always house lights around. Most times I'm out at night, I wish it was darker -- it's very rare that I'm out there on a night that is as dark as I like it.

1 hour ago, Belmo said:

One thing that people who are ascared of the dark will realize pretty quickly is that it is rare to be out on a night where there is absolutely no light -- and this is doubly true on the beaches in Jersey, where there are almost always house lights around.

I've never seen it truly dark in NJ, not like the dark it can get in places like Montauk Point, Block, Nanatucket...., on a new moon night when it's so dark you can't see your hand in front of your face.

That's a special kind of dark !

Edited by Sudsy

4 mins ago, Sudsy said:

I've never seen it truly dark in NJ, not like the dark it can get in places like Montauk Point, Block, Nanatucket...., on a new moon night when it's so dark you can't see your hand in front of your face.

That's a special kind of dark !

True story: 

My kid's old school went on a camping trip at a stake park (Hickory Run) in the Poconos. This was barely camping (cabins), but most of the people were city folk, people who brought giant suitcases on a 24-hour camping trip. 

I was telling them that it's rarely completely dark at night, that there's always a moon, or starts, or something one can use to orient oneself. Don't be afraid of the dark, I said, it's actually quite nice out there! 

That night, going to the latrine at 3 am... I got lost! :D It was a new moon, and after sunset, a cold front had blown in -- no moon + heavy, low clouds + being in the woods in the middle of nowhere = the darkest night I think I've ever seen in my life. It was so dark that it didn't make a difference whether I had my eyes open or closed. I took one bad step on the way to the crapper, and before I knew it, I was lost. It was very, very disorienting. 

I've never seen it anywhere close to that dark on the beach in Jersey.

How many times does it need to be explained that constant light does not spook fish.  They will adjust to it, so the docklight scenario holds no weight when talking about headlamps.  Moving light, like the one attached to your heads, will, and always does spook fish.

Those same fish youre seeing in the docklights at night will not appreciate a headlamp being shined into the shadowline.  If theyre in the dark portion, and you shine a light on them, they will spook 100% of the time.  Same goes for fish in the light portion, if you cast a shadow in front of the light, they will spook.  

Please turn your freaking headlamps off unless you absolutely require it.  If you have half decent eyesight your eyes will adjust.  If you need a headlamp to be on a jetty, it means you dont know that jetty well enough and probably shouldnt be on it at night.

Edited by bbfish