JimK

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE.....

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Stop shining your 60 gazillion mega watt headlamps down off of the jetties into the water or back onto the sand... I was fishing the corner pocket of a jetty last night and I think I am blind in one eye now. End of rant. That is all.

LOL!  I fished Sea Bright Mon. night under the full moon and a guy slid a fish up onto the sand with his head lamp in full effect.  It was bright enough to read a newspaper out there.  Funny thing is, I didn't even think twice about the goof until I read this topic.  Gorey details have been with held.  I just walked north...

I fished at night just once and couldn't see much without a headlight, I must admit. I'd probably be someone who wouldn't want to fish without a light on the rocks, so I guess I should just stay away from them.

You have to fish the sand and see if/when your eyes adjust to the dark. If not, then avoid the jetty. 

Problem is, The worst culprits for the headlamps are probably not members of this website. It drives me nuts too, but you’re preaching to the choir

15 mins ago, EricDice said:

You have to fish the sand and see if/when your eyes adjust to the dark. If not, then avoid the jetty. 

Problem is, The worst culprits for the headlamps are probably not members of this website. It drives me nuts too, but you’re preaching to the choir

Lurkers a plenty....

Posted (edited) · Report post

A couple of months ago, I was taking a long walk on SH and saw a guy shining me up, he finally caught up to me and was ****in lighting me up like a xmas tree.  I said dude,' your lighting me up', he said, the light doesn't harm the fish.

I walked the other way and took a picture of this yoyo

IMG-2410.JPG

Edited by Goldy

39 mins ago, Goldy said:

A couple of months ago, I was taking a long walk on SH and saw a guy shining me up, he finally caught up to me and was ****in lighting me up like a xmas tree.  I said dude,' your lighting me up', he said, the light doesn't harm the fish.

I walked the other way and took a picture of this yoyo

Haha I've seen that guy. Was going to tell him the fish were in the wash, but didn't want to get lit up and blinded.

I've had guys walk up shining a light on me, "you need some light?" 

When you got that light on you can see what's in the beam. Turn it off for a couple minutes and you can see EVERYTHING!

Rocks are a different story though if you're not familiar with the spot.

I don't think the light bothers the fish in most conditions. I saw a guy with a Coleman lantern that lit up 50 yards all around him out fish me.  I am sure there are times when it does but when the fish are feeding i don't think they spook to easy.  People definitely over react here. 

I am not a believer of lights bothering fish if you fish bridges or docks you want the lights so you can have shadow lines it certainly does not scare fish

18 mins ago, crazybellringer said:

I don't think the light bothers the fish in most conditions. I saw a guy with a Coleman lantern that lit up 50 yards all around him out fish me.  I am sure there are times when it does but when the fish are feeding i don't think they spook to easy.  People definitely over react here. 

Fish, just like people, adjust to constant light. Hell, my buddy has a house on the bay in Jersey, and he's got a dock light on a timer: it shines right in the water, and it turns on at sunset every day. The baitfish are attracted to the light, and the predator fish, mostly resident stripers, hit the baitfish (mostly spearing) even harder. The light doesn't bother the fish at all. 

What fish hate, and which will cause them to run away and/or stop feeding, is having some moron shine a bright light on them when it had previously been dark. Like if you walk up to the surf and shine a flashlight in it. A lantern is no big deal, as long as it's on all the time.

1 min ago, Belmo said:

What fish hate, and which will cause them to run away and/or stop feeding, is having some moron shine a bright light on them when it had previously been dark. Like if you walk up to the surf and shine a flashlight in it. A lantern is no big deal, as long as it's on all the time.

You don't even fish so how do you know what fish hate? let me tell you i catch a ton of fish and i interrogate each and every one of them.  the one thing they hate for a fact is flannel shirt, fat guys with body holly glasses named belmo. 

4 hours ago, hurricane1091 said:

I fished at night just once and couldn't see much without a headlight, I must admit. I'd probably be someone who wouldn't want to fish without a light on the rocks, so I guess I should just stay away from them.

Use a red beam if you have night vision issues

You'll see fine, you'll preserve your night vision, you won't scare fish, and no one will want to kill you